PDA

View Full Version : Grassfed Beef Fat Blocks

Jason Smith
10-19-2006, 10:25 AM
I just finished reading the new PM issue and noticed that a 4 protein block of grassfed ground beef actually contains 13 fat blocks (Hamburger Vegetable Soup).

Should I typically stick with leaner meats (e.g. turkey) instead of the grassfed beef?

A related question: How can you get your protein blocks without grossly exceeding your fat blocks with these recipes? I am trying to lean out (about 22% bf) and definitely don't need the extra fat yet!

Thanks.

Robb Wolf
11-01-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey Jason!
many of the recipes are written with an assumption that people are at a manitainance weight. If you are still trying to lean out you will need to reduce the fat blocks somewhat, perhaps even back to base Zone levels. This may require re-tooling some of the recipes.

Yael Grauer
11-01-2006, 09:02 PM
If you are still trying to lean out you will need to reduce the fat blocks somewhat, perhaps even back to base Zone levels.

Could somebody explain this to me again? I always thought that if you reduce fat blocks to Zone levels, important hormones will not be kicking in and you won't be able to utilize Omega-3's correctly. What about all the Rosedale research about the benefit of using good oils at the expense of carbs? Plus, if you're cutting fat, you're either replacing it with carbs (we know the danger of that) or protein (doesn't it just turn to sugar in your blood if you get too much of it anyway?) I just don't understand how getting Zone-level carbs and fats could possibly help someone lean out (though I will defer to other people's clinical experience.)