PDA

View Full Version : Multi Vitamin increases Prostate Cancer Risk

Derek Simonds
05-16-2007, 11:59 AM
http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/C_ancer_31/051606492007_Multivitamin_use_raises_risk_of_advan ced_prostate_cancer.shtml

If your head isn't spinning after the first 5 paragraphs you are better at deciphering statistics speak then I am.

So should we not take multi's now? ;)

Garrett Smith
05-16-2007, 01:13 PM
99% of multivitamins are nothing more than pharmaceuticals (chemically reproduced, isolated substances that were found in food, typically showing the most biological activity in vitro).

Thus, as someone who IFs, uses (nearly all) whole-food supplements (not isolated nutrients in a whole food base, they are very different!), and takes three days off a week from all my supplements (fasting days), I don't see this as applying to me at all.

Yes, I do believe that the 99% of isolated multinutrient combinations (multis) that people are taking, especially those that are megadosing, are harming their health. The results of this analysis are evidence of this. This is not a surprise to me.

Derek Simonds
05-16-2007, 02:38 PM
I will have to do some research on whole food supplements. I have been taking a commercial multi for the last 4 years. I also plan on switching my fish oil pretty soon.

Yael Grauer
05-16-2007, 02:51 PM
I like Standard Process products for food-based vitamins. There are less mcg per vitamin but the body absorbes it better. Also I got some samples from Innate Response at a botanical medicine conference and was pretty impressed with the quality. NewChapter, Jarrow, etc... Freeda is synthetic but has very pure ingredients. I think everyone's already listed their favorites in some thread here... Disclaimer: I only do a multi every once in a while.

Mike ODonnell
05-16-2007, 05:15 PM
SO wait wait wait......are you telling me that my Bam Bam and Dino chewables are not making me better??? Damnit.....so should I switch to Barney?