PDA

View Full Version : Feline Dietary reccomendations

Jeremy Jones
10-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Just got a new kitten ("Jet Jones"), while he is not my first cat, a little homework never hurt anyone. While surfing the net for tips I found this tidbit:

"The importance of feeding your cat high protein, high fat & low carbohydrate diets is just emerging with new research. Dry food is between 35-50% carbohydrates while canned food is generally around 10%. Feeding cats diets where the main ingredients are corn or wheat - you might as well being throwing a can of Nibblets and a couple of slices of bread into the feeding dish. Canned food is better for urinary tract health, and high carb, dry food diets are being linked to the development of feline diabetes. These articles are MUST READS for new information on proper diets for carnivores:"

(the articles are about halfway down the page)

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/pointe/9352/owners.html

:confused: :eek: :D

My kitty is going to be in the Zone just like me!

Nicki Violetti
10-31-2006, 11:51 AM
We feed our cat Evo food by Innova (be sure to get the hi protein, low carb version in the bronze package - the some of the others contain barley and/or rice). He's been on it for about 2 years now and it has really made a difference. He weighed in at 14.2 pounds a couple months ago and the vet commented that he was heavy, "but he's not fat." (It's muscle, duh!) Anyway, I would highly recommend it.

Jeremy Jones
10-31-2006, 11:55 AM
He is eating kitten food like mad right now. We try to give him canned food (high protein) mixed with the 'kitten blend' type of dry food as often as possible.

I do plan on ordering the Innova before we run out of our current stuff.

Ken Urakawa
10-31-2006, 01:08 PM
Ohh...I thought this thread was going to be about how much protein would be contained in the average tabby. Cat's paleo, right?

Nicki Violetti
10-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Coach Rutherford has been known to include cat on his list of "white meat.":)

Jeremy Jones
11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
I would eat cat, as long as it was prepared propperly.

I have no problem with that.

Ken Urakawa
11-01-2006, 02:23 PM
It is almost Thanksgiving, after all.

Jeremy Jones
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
"TurDucKat" anyone?

Robb Wolf
11-03-2006, 05:51 PM
You sir are a GENIUS!

"TurDucKat" anyone?