PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

Pavel Saenz
05-17-2007, 09:08 AM
Recently the mother of a 15 year old asked me if I could train her son. He has had asthma for a couple a years now and she is worried because it is getting worse and worse, meaning that he gets "attacks" more often. I dont know much about the treatments but he takes pills and has an inhalator? Where should I go from here? I presume that his doctor will tell him not to exercise. What are your thought on this? VERY much appreciated.
Greetings,
-Pavel

Mike ODonnell
05-17-2007, 11:16 AM
#1 get the kid off ALL dairy.....then proceed with caution...but that alone may help his condition improved....never know until you try...

Steve Shafley
05-17-2007, 11:39 AM
A few things:

1. A kid with asthma, especially those who have never been very active, might have a hard time distinguishing what is an actual attack and simply being gassed.

2. A prophylactic use of his albuterol inhaler or an albuterol nebulizer treatment might stave off an exercise-induced attack.

3. People with asthma often do very well with swimming, due to the more humid enviroment.

4. Like Mike mentioned, some dietary modifications potentially go a long way to helping out an asthma sufferer.

5. Start slow.

Yael Grauer
05-17-2007, 12:09 PM
Anybody tried Buteyko breathing?

Steve Shafley
05-17-2007, 01:10 PM
I have a hard enough time with my kid getting him to chew with his mouth shut.
Counterintuitive breathing isn't going to cut it right now.

Garrett Smith
05-17-2007, 01:26 PM
I think Yael made a great suggestion with trying the Buteyko breathing.

Dairy is always the first thing to go in asthma...

chris hill
05-18-2007, 02:00 AM
As an asthmatic (never had a serious attack but used to be gassed frequently) i find these help, they are all obvious points but we know how stubbon 15 year olds are.

1, take your preventative inhalor as prescribed WITHOUT FAIL. i need to take 2 puffs morning and night. i have my inhalor next to my tooth brush so it is part of my routine.

2, take your releavor inhalor before exercise. i used to have 2 puffs 20 minutes before intense exercise and then 2 more puff immediately before

3, if you get wheezey whilst running, dont stop, just walk and talk another puff while you get your breath back

4, and this is only anecdotal. regular exercise helps asthma. if i dont exercise i find my general breathing is laboured and wheezey after 10-14 days on inactivity

Pavel Saenz
05-18-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks guys, for the clear and experiece based advices. I really appreciate it. I will be posting how it goes.

Nikki Young
06-19-2007, 07:37 PM
My nana has collapsed lungs, both of them are about 50% collapsed. Would Buteyko Breathing be beneficial? Any other suggestions?

Garrett Smith
06-20-2007, 06:38 AM
Nikki,
Dietary changes (particularly dairy and gluten avoidance)

BodyTalk www.bodytalksystem.com

Cold laser to the lungs directly (search under Low Intensity Laser Therapy or Low Level Laser Therapy or Cold Laser or Laser Therapy), I've had very good results with lung conditions, www.meditech-bioflex may be able to help you find someone in your area

Herbal lung tonic combinations, make sure they don't interfere with any of her meds

Hope one or more of those helps!

Nikki Young
06-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks Garrett, i'll have a good read on your suggestions.

My nana has a heap of illnesses, very bad arthritis, HBP (though very thin), she also has modules on her lungs which are getting checked regularly cause they don't know what they are yet, they are just some things she has.. From what i've briefly read on the lazer therapy you mentioned, it's all natural without drugs or anything, but i just want to make sure that it won't cause any additional stress to the body, just because my nana is pretty fragile at the moment..

Is there anything she could do to help increase her lung/breathing capasity in the mean time?

Garrett Smith
06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Nikki,
The cold laser therapy will not stress the body.

Also, if she has osteoarthritis, avoiding nightshades will help the whole picture.

As for lung capacity stuff, that's not where my expertise is. I work on healing the tissues and let everything else fall into place.

Mike ODonnell
06-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Is there anything she could do to help increase her lung/breathing capasity in the mean time?

How about some simple deep breathing once in a while....breathing from the diaphram (not the chest). Much like any muscle...if you don't use it, you lose capacity. Most people use very little diaphram and lung capacity in their normal shallow chest breathing....so doing some deep breaths may be able to help those out.....

just an idea....

Cathy Wilson
04-07-2008, 08:39 AM
I had a friend who had terrible asthma as a child, so he took up tuba lessons. he ended up being a professional tubist, and it improved his asthma tremendously.l the regular practicing helped increase his endurance and lung capacity.
cathy wilson