PDA

View Full Version : Carl Sagan is the man

Chris Forbis
05-17-2007, 03:48 PM
This could be old, but I saw this, thought it was awesome, and am sharing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pfwY2TNehw

If you want to listen to Carl wax poetically unaccompanied by music and sans movie clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86BPM1GV8M

Jamila Bey
05-22-2007, 11:04 AM
Right on!

All Hail Reason!

Russell Greene
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
It reminded me of John Lennon's "Imagine." Being that I am a believer in God and just war, stuff like this doesn't do much for me.

You could like at this as Sagan does and conclude that we're small, insignificant and on our own. Alternatively you can reason that in the midst of all this space and all these planets, the earth is the only one we've discovered that has life on it. That is pretty special. It also suggests the questions of why are we here, how does life originate in the midst of matter, what existed before the universe did, did the universe originate from nothing, etc.

There are so many important questions that science and logic alone do not adequately answer. In addition to those I previously listed, there is the question of personal values and morality. No scientific experiments can discover what is good in life, what is wrong, what we should dedicate our lives to, etc. Those are questions we answer based on our personal experience and faith. We all have values, morality, and faith in something. It is impossible to live without them. One cannot live without making decisions, one cannot make decisions without making value judgements, and one cannot make value judgements through logic and science alone. The difference between atheism and theism is not between reason and faith but between one faith and value system and another.

Robert Allison
05-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Russ,

That was an intellligent, well-reasoned post.

I am not knocking Carl Sagan and I am certainly not anti-science. But it is helpful at times to recognize its limitations.

kevin mckay
05-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Nice reality check, Carl kicks ass!
Great to put stuff in perspective once in a while.

Neal Winkler
05-26-2007, 07:48 AM
My favorite scientist right now is Michio Kaku (http://www.mkaku.org).

Brad Hirakawa
05-26-2007, 01:22 PM
Mine is Robb Wolf

Neal Winkler
05-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Never heard of him...

Robb Wolf
05-29-2007, 07:34 AM
It just shows what a geek I am but I remember hearing about Sagans death right before a HEUGE physics final. Serious bummer.

Contact is a phenomenal book.

Brad Hirakawa
05-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Neal,

You'll find him in the October edition, Playgirl, 1994.

Chris Forbis
05-29-2007, 11:08 AM
It just shows what a geek I am but I remember hearing about Sagans death right before a HEUGE physics final. Serious bummer.

Contact is a phenomenal book.

I plan to read The Demon-Haunted World this summer. I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Neal Winkler
05-29-2007, 11:23 AM
Neal,

You'll find him in the October edition, Playgirl, 1994.

Damn, that's like the only issue that I don't have!