PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

John Alston
09-05-2007, 06:15 AM
Leftover - beef, broccoli and tomato with cheese.
A mouthful of prunes and peanutbutter.
A little suppa dis, suppa dat.

Rating: Back to the beach! Sadly, no. Back to LBH! Yes!

Allen Yeh
09-05-2007, 06:22 AM
9/4
2 1/3 pound grassfed burgers
2 slices of cheddar
1/4 an avocado
1.5 cups broccoli
Rating: Fat goodness.

Yuen Sohn
09-05-2007, 07:14 AM
Got caught off guard...forgot that I had telecons all morning. No time for a real meal.

Whole milk from the pantry fridge
Dark water (piss quality coffee) from the machine

Rating: All work and no breakfast makes Yoon a dull boy.

Robert McBee
09-05-2007, 08:57 PM
'Carb up' day on the CLC/IF experiment

1 cup strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
35-40g protein powder
6oz. coconut milk
water

fish oil, ALA, CoQ10

Rating: glyco-riffic!

John Alston
09-06-2007, 06:45 AM
One can of albacore, lotsa olive oil, some balsamic, some Old Bay.

Prunes here and there
Peanutbutter to spare.
Sups, sups.

Rating: New Buckethead always worth a few more minutes in the morning.

Yuen Sohn
09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Omelet: ham, cheese, tomatoes, peppers
An apple
Orange segments
Plain yogurt
Coffee

Rating:
Bat-eating centipedes give me the heebie-jeebies.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PgLmUb5P_Ws

Robert McBee
09-06-2007, 07:14 PM
4oz diced turkey w/ 2 cups broccoli
1 tsp coconut oil & 1 tbsp. olive oil topping it off
"Spike" seasoning

3 tbsp. almond butter
2 tbsp fish oil
ALA, CoQ10

John Alston
09-07-2007, 06:39 AM
Deli time.
Kielbasa and turkey.
Blue and raspberries.

Rating: where's the god damned fat?

Yuen Sohn
09-07-2007, 07:30 AM
Protein shake (with yogurt and berries)
2 servings of peanut butter (the crappy cafeteria kind)
2 peanut butter cups
Coffee

Rating: Who runs Barter Town??!

Robert McBee
09-08-2007, 10:36 PM
IF ran long again due to soccer match. Didn't eat meal #1 until almost 1pm.

4oz grassfed beef
2 cups broccoli steamed in 1 tsp. coconut oil
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp almond butter
1 1/2 tbsp fish oil

ALA, CoQ10

Yuen Sohn
09-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Woke up late today. Really late.

-2 rds of Korean BBQ -- the marinated shortribs.
-ALL the accompanying fresh garlic cloves and hot peppers
-Some kimchi

Rating: My breath smells sexy today.

Yuen Sohn
09-10-2007, 06:13 AM
Just coffee

Rating: Whoever the person is throwing non-flushable paper towels into my favorite bowl at work: I'm gonna track you down!

John Alston
09-10-2007, 06:17 AM
Nothing.

Rating: Awesome.

Explanation: Afternoon first meals don't count. IF - that's a different, lamer thread.

John Alston
09-10-2007, 06:18 AM
One can o' tuna. Olive oil. Balsamic. Old Bay sprinkled.

Prunes and peanut butter oh my.

Sups, yadda.

Rating: In desperate need of fish oil.

Yuen Sohn
09-11-2007, 09:01 AM
Omelet with ham, a tiny bit of cheese, tomatoes, green and red peppers.
Berries

Rating: I haven't forgotten

John Alston
09-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Roast beef!
And guess what else.

Rating: A memory hole, a good morning, and more beef.

John Alston
09-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Deli time. No time to prep, barely time to shower due to queue (who showers at 9am on their day off?)
So it's roasted turkey, plenty, some blueberries, and the peanut butter I keep in the office.
And I got some fishoil, finally.

Rating: Francisco Linares faces six months in jail for repairing a fence on city property. After Linares built a home in Rolling Hills Estates, California, he asked the city to repair a nearby fence. City officials told him it was on his property and therefore his responsibility. So he fixed it. Officials changed their minds and said the fence was indeed on city property. They also found he had built a retaining wall higher than permitted, as well as several other building code violations. He was told to remove the structures or get permits or he would face jail time. But he was unable to get the permits and did not remove the structures, so he's now looking at jail time.

Yuen Sohn
09-12-2007, 07:39 AM
Late for work. Forgot my magical mango on the coffee table at home.

-Coffee
-Milk
-Emergency steak I was keeping in the freezer at work...eaten with my bare hands since all I could find were cheap plastic knives.

Does anyone have any fruit????

Rating: I bid farewell to one of the world's smartest parrots.

John Alston
09-13-2007, 06:15 AM
No cold cuts, not canned fish backup, no leftovers, no fresh stuff...

Protein shake of whey and casein, some fiber powder.
Some peanut butter, prunes. Fishoil, vitamin, minerals, and liver pills.

Rating: Too much liquid, not enough solid, and just a little gas.

Yuen Sohn
09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
A small steak
Yesterday's forgotten mango, ripened to perfection and cut into bite-sized cubes.

Rating: I'm down to a handful of marbles.

John Alston
09-14-2007, 06:47 AM
More deli time. Hot buffet...

Plantains, turkey and some chicken, which was both spicy and crappy.
I have some peanut butter
I have some fishoil
I have what I need.

Rating: nautilus machine press.

Yuen Sohn
09-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Omelet with ham, cheese, tomato, and green peppers
An underripe mango
A Good Humor toasted almond ice cream bar
A sliced-open thumb...fu~k!

Rating: All love

Yuen Sohn
09-17-2007, 05:54 AM
Omelet with ham, cheese, egg, tomato
Coffee

No time to cut up mango before 9AM meetings.

Rating: I'm amazed at the jackass who thought it would be ok to park himself in front of me on the omelet line. I don't think so buddy. Neither this time nor ever, fool.

John Alston
09-17-2007, 06:00 AM
Turkey slices, with some real Texan bbq sauce.
An apple, some peanut butter, a fresh fig, the usual supps.

Rating: Awesome, because I'm seeing RUSH tonight.
http://www.fender.com/news/news_images/78/snippet_78.jpg

John Alston
09-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Man, the deli is so unreliable. Well, it's reliably crappy. There's never good fats. And lately no good meats.
Today was wings, blueberries and an orange.
I made a whole milk whey shake at work.

Rating: I saw RUSH last night. Did you?

John Alston
09-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Leftovers, deliberately prepared for this (I make extra!)
Beef and tomato special.
I put cheese on it.
And then I had some peanutbutter and an apple.
Minor supps.

Rating: Back squat for 5 reps.
It's a common breakfast for me. It's ok. It's cheap, hearty, and I can stomach it regularly. I'd probably benefit from more variety in it.

Sam Cannons
09-19-2007, 08:02 PM
2 Boiled eggs and left over roasted pumpkin

Verdict - easy,tasty, i felt balanced.

John Alston
09-20-2007, 06:21 AM
Leftovers, deliberately prepared for this (I make extra!)
Beef and tomato special.
I put cheese on it.
And then I had some peanutbutter and an apple.
Minor supps.

Rating: Back squat for 5 reps.
It's a common breakfast for me. It's ok. It's cheap, hearty, and I can stomach it regularly. I'd probably benefit from more variety in it.

Rating: Back squat for 6 reps (6 is the new 5).

Yuen Sohn
09-20-2007, 06:38 AM
2 blueberry pancakes with extra butter
Coffee

Rating: Pec deck for 3 sets of 10 reps...

Yuen Sohn
09-21-2007, 07:35 AM
Steak
2 Large Mangoes
Coffee

Rating: A front squat partial for 3

John Alston
09-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Whole milk and whey.
Apple.

Rating: late to work; not complaining.

John Alston
09-25-2007, 09:10 AM
http://www.copswritingcops.com/home.html

Yael Grauer
09-25-2007, 09:31 AM
blueberry yogurt with cream on top
afternoon almond granola, courtesy of Wild Oats

rating: afternoon granola always tastes better in the morning

John Alston
09-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Andrei Rybakov of Belarus set a world record of 187-kg in the men's 85-kg snatch on his way to landing three gold medals at the world championships.

Yuen Sohn
09-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Bad coffee

Rating: All your UATs are belong to us

Yael Grauer
09-26-2007, 12:22 PM
OMG I left my Kettle chips and apple at home. What will I eat for lunch?! Sorry, this is off topic. LOL.

John Alston
09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Interview with ANATOLY PISARENKO, August 2000
by Eduard Lipovetsky, Sport Express
Translation by Arthur Chidlovski.

It was some bad luck that followed this "Schwarzenegger from Ukraine," Pisarenko's nickname by the media overseas. At the 1980 Olympics, he was too young and the coaches preferred to go with more experienced and known lifters. At that time in Moscow, Sultan Rakhmanov who already held the championship title was paired with legendary Vasily Alexeev who was about to leave the world competitions. Pisarenko was told to wait. "Your time will come!"

In 1984, the Soviet sportsmen didn't go to Los Angeles due to the reasons independent of their will. The Olympics boycott left many of the Soviet athletes without medals. Pisarenko was one of them. Pisarenko wanted the Olympics medal. He was ready to stay atop of the elite world lifting for another four years. But all his hopes were stopped by disqualification.

As a result, the Summer Olympics in Atlanta became his first Games. Pisarenko attended that Olympics as the president of the Ukrainian Weightlifting Federation. And now it's Sydney where he is ready to lead his countrymen again.

He arrived to the Hotel Sports in Kiev on his new Jeep. The 42-year old man with moustache didn't look like the guy who failed to win the Olympics - more like a Ukrainian Cossack from the old famous painting. I told Pisarenko that if I were a director of commercials advertising national cosine, he would have definitely got a part.

"And why not for the commercial of lobsters, oysters and caviar?" Replied "New Ukrainian" with a smile and offered me to visit the sea boat that he owns.

Not All Dreams Come Through

- Time cures old pain. Do you still think about the Olympics you could have won?

A little bit... In 1984, I ought to win the Olympics. All laws of physics were for that. I earned that medal. And I don't have it. The politicians took it away from me. Imagine my feelings when after I won the alternative Friendship Cup in Varna with 465 kg total and then found out the some guy from Australia won the Olympics with these ridiculous 412.5 kilos. He lost over 50 kg to me! But he was an Olympics champion and I was not. It hurt.

- Did you have any chances to compete in Moscow four year before?

In 1980 I was young. Only a year later I broke records by Sultan Rakhmanov and Vasily Alexeev who won the ticket to Moscow. I have to tell you that all three of us were selected to the pre-Olympics camp and I wasn't the worst in that trio. To say more, in both lifts, I was 10 kilograms ahead of Rakhmanov. Not to mention Alexeev.

But the national team coaches said that I am not ready. Maybe, the difference in size mattered too. Rakhmanov's bodyweight was 150 kilos, Alexeev's - 185. Add to this all the titles they had. 79 world records by Alexeev were impressive. My weight was only 114 kilos. So, they "outweigh" me at that time. By the way, both of them skipped the USSR national championship held before the Olympics. Vladimir Marchuk who broke into the weightlifting elite for a short period of time won the tournament. No one paid attention to that tournament. It had been decided already who had to be at the Olympics.

- In the end, you proved that the outstanding super heavyweight didn't have to be a monster-like figure frightening his opponents by his size.

And, to tell you the truth, it was the main reason for my sports career.

Perestroika: Leave when you leaving

- Why didn't you come back to weightlifting and prepare for the next Olympics after your 2-year long disqualification was over?

Strangely enough, the main reason was my over zealousness. After that break in my career, I began to lift very fast. But the readiness was misleading. My body wasn't ready for heavy training - I injured the muscles of the hips. Nowadays, I can say that that I had to stop, had to wait another six months, get well and only then slowly get into the training cycle. But I decided to change my life at once.

Remember it was 1985-1986, perestroika, life is turning around in front of you, time for new opportunities. I am an adult. I have a family. What was the sport actually giving me? Today, Shevchenko has a contract with the Western European soccer club. He is quarantined enough money for the rest of his life. It is normal. And what about lifters? Today, I have Gotfrid and Razorenov training with us. They are outstanding athletes and how much do they make? Pennies. Ukrainian Olympic champion Taimazov had to move to North Ossetia and works as a tax inspector over there. The athletes of his level should have made enough money for their families when they were active on the weightlifting platform. All over the world, the pro sports people lay the financial foundation for their future when they are in sports. Not here. So, in 1986 I started thinking what to do...

- At that time, you had three world titles. Didn't you feel sorry that your Olympics dream wasn't coming through?

When I left weightlifting, I was disappointed. As if I failed in the lift attempt. You have another attempt. The referee calls you and you know that you will not go to lift anymore. I hurt but what can you do? It is important to leave with dignity. Leave when you leave. I remember Alexeev once said when he saw me training "This guy will either die in the gym or break himself." And there was a wild jealousy in the way he said it... He could have just wished me luck the day before I broke three world records.

I was ready for 280

- What helped you to break in into the circle if elite athletes?

If I say hard work, it won't be true. It's not enough. I met many hard working people in the gyms, but only a few became world champions. On the weightlifting platform your physical strength has to be multiplied by you intellectual abilities and ambitions. Don't confuse our sports with a forced labor. I always consciously approached whatever I was doing. Believe me - I never lifted anything heavy in my life but the weights. My wife tells me in the airport "Grab a suitcase!" I just reply: "For what? There is a person who gets paid to do that." It's a different job. I was doing something different.

- Did you have a complex of inferiority competing with the athletes whose bodyweight was 100 lbs more than yours?

Never. I have to tell you I always liked athletes without intimidating sizes. Those are Suleymanoglu, Zakharevitch, Vardanyan. Unique athletes.

- What weight we could have expected you to lift had you not leave the sports?

My records were far from my max. I snatched 206 and in the training was ready for 210. I cleaned and jerked 265 kilos and I was lifting 270 in the training. I jerked 260 on two reps. The experts were saying that potentially I was ready for 280 kilos. By the way, I cleaned 280.

- Are you doing any sports today?

I play tennis, do scuba diving, skiing... I am very comfortable riding the horses. I just love it! When I was younger I was getting offers to do shot put or discus throws but I preferred the weightlifting.

- Tell us about what happened many years ago in Toronto when you and another outstanding athlete Alexander Kurlovitch were arrested in the airport?

We were arrested while carrying medications that were considered as banned doping substances. At first, we were banned from sports for life. Although, we didn't deserve such a strict verdict.

- Did you fulfil yourself in sports?

No way. My ambitions were huge. Nowadays I do everything I can so that my name and administrative talent work effectively for the Ukrainian sports overall and weightlifting in particular. Otherwise, I would have never become the president of Ukrainian Weightlifting Federation.

I gave a Lincoln to Rakhmanov for his birthday

- What are your relationships with the great ones - Vlasov, Zhabotinsky, Alexeev, Rakhmanov? Are you keeping in touch with them?

My relationship with Alexeev didn't work from the very start. He was supposed to become my coach. Vasily began to force me to re-learn lifting technique. We disagreed right there. So, I was his student exactly during one training session. It's a sad and funny story of two characters that couldn't co-exist together.

When I first met Yury Vlasov, I was very impressed. I recognized a real intellectual right away. Although whatever he's writing doesn't interest me. It doesn't sound like a real life in sports.

Most often, I spoke to Leonid Zhabotinsky. As far as I know, he now works in one of the Moscow universities. He is a great guy. No show off. Very real and down to Earth. He is probably the closest to me the way he is.

And, finally, Sultan Rakhmanov. I would call him a big baby. He should be grateful that he got into sports at the right time. Alexeev was leaving into shadow and talented lifters of the new wave were not ready yet. It shouldn't diminish Rakhmanov's success at the Olympics in Moscow. He won over the best of the best. Today Sultan is very sick. His weight is over 450 lbs. When he turned 45, I presented him a Lincoln. I didn't go to celebrate his 50 though.

- Did you have a hero among the legendary athletes of the past?

No. I didn't accept any "untouchable" authorities. I had alot of respect for David Rigert, Vasily Alexeev and some other athletes. But they were not my heroes.

- You did alot for weightlifting in Ukraine. You created a lifting center, bought equipment worth hundreds of thousand dollars, provided lifters with medications and food supply. There are many things now that Team Ukraine has which even great Soviet team didn't have. What is your reason in investing your own money into this?

"Reason" is not a right word for this. It will make me happy if Gotfrid, Razorenov or Udachin (he broke three world records at the world championship among juniors) will win gold medals in Sydney. But most important, it will make the fans happy. That is important to me.

Don't overestimate my resources. I can't resolve all the issues for the Ukrainian weightlifting. But I did something for sure. For example, I brought Peter Alaev back from Syria. He is an ex coach of world champion and record setter Viktor Sots. He has a huge experience and literally encyclopedic knowledge of our sport. He builds the training process on a cutting edge methodology. He uses computer technologies for developing of individual requirements, nutrition, recuperation for each athlete. If I had a coach like this, I would have passed 500 kilos in total even today.

Complex of a Bodybuilder.

- During your era in sports, there were rumors that you decided to increase your bodyweight by 30 kilos - so, that you could set the records for eternity. Is it true that only a "complex of a bodybuilder" didn't let you do this?

Hey, even with my low bodyweight, I was a world champion. You can call it any complex you want, but it just look more appealing to have a guy with a beautiful figure on the platform, than some dude with a huge belly. I do feel more kinship with Schwarzenegger than with the shapeless Paul Anderson, the classics of American weightlifting.

- Why do you think US lifters lost their leadership in Olympic weightlifting?

I would compare American weightlifting with their own American limousine car - super luxury car with powerful engines and first class gas... Do you know how much is the budget of US weightlifting federation? Three million dollars! It's silly to compare their budget with the one in Ukraine and Russia. But it's us that are leaving for Sydney to compete for medals. Not them. The main reason is that top-notch limos need to be driven by top-notch drivers.

I feel more comfortable in business than in politics

- Why did you switch from sports into the business field?

I wanted freedom! Not that freedom that the Soviets were giving to us - if you behave yourself, we'll send you for tourist trip abroad. Not that one! You can really feel free when you have money. And also when you have a power... For example, I want the NOC of Ukraine to become an independent enterprise not some part of a state committee. And an energetic person should lead it. Unfortunately, it is still like it was before. We decided to create our own Olympic bank and sports federations put their money into this bank. And what happened? No money, no bank. We got Samsung as a sponsor and got some ridiculous amounts. And the same goes everywhere.

- Does it mean that had you been the NOC President, things would have gone differently?

I know how to manage my own money. Trust me, I would not waste a penny.

- How about Alexander Kurlovitch? Was his decision to get involved in politics inspirational for you?

Nah. I feel more comfortable in business than in politics. By the way, Karelin just told me that when he was young he collected my pictures, wanted to be like me. Isn't it the nicest thing to hear from one of the all-time greatest athletes?

http://www.chidlovski.net/liftup/a_interview_pisarenko_082000.asp

John Alston
09-27-2007, 07:35 AM
HAM
APPLE
PEANUT BUTTER.

Rating: One-half an Archie Moore.

John Alston
09-27-2007, 12:27 PM
HE SCIENCE OF WINNING ACCORDING TO VASILI ALEXEYEV

by Dmitri Ivanov

The main thing in a record holder's life is work. In my opinion, it is
particularly a profoundly thought-out creative individual training regimen
which allowed Alexeyev to build his fantastically strong and voluminous
muscles and to strengthen his will. But, most important, is his character!

When I asked Vasily the reasons for his constant victories, he thought a bit
and answered: "If I want something. I will definitely achieve it. No matter
what I have to sacrifice ... The more complex the situation, the more
threatening my rivals, the more I spread my wings in defiance of everything.
You want to know the principles of my training? That, forgive me, is a secret
. . . I'm joking, of course! I don't like to speak about this subject
because some people won't understand what I'm talking about while others will
say I'm bragging, as if to say, "He's become a champion and he's making it
up... "

"But then I see that many on our team are already working in my way. Theirs,
however, is a copy - not the original. Even though the copy may be a good
one, it will always be a step away from the original. You see, the question
is not one of strength, not one of talent. It's a matter of what's in the
head. In the physical sense you should, you need to work very hard, but with
the nerves-- less . . ."

At different stages Alexeyev was helped by trainers and he listened to their
opinions . . . but only up to a point, to a limit. There was his first
teacher, Simon Mileiko, and then Alexander Chuzhin. Rudolf Plyukfelder, it's
felt, also played a definite part. And Vasily also took something from the
trainers of the Soviet team. Especially from Arkady Vorobyev. However, he was
not a blind follower of orders given from the sidelines.

All these last years, Alexeyev has been training on his own using his own
method which can't be found in any textbook. All the books say that to
achieve great results you have to train vigorously, often lifting maximum
weights. But Alexeyev considers this a harmful mistake. More than one book
could be written about Alexeyev's method of winning and I imagine he will
write them. Here I will quote some excerpts from his words on this subject,
taken from our many chats over the years:

"There is much talk about the art of training. But there is nothing concrete.
I myself keep searching for a rational method..... Constantly..... But
generally I train differently from anyone else ...

"Here they've put up a lot of mirrors in the gyms. They're good for furniture
but not for training. When an athlete looks into the mirror he gets away from
himself; instead he should be totally focused. In the mirror you'll see
nothing but your image. This means that you won't understand and won't pick
up the technique of exercise, you won't make sense out of the method. My
advice during training is to think, think, think! ...

"What upsets me is that the method of training used by an overwhelming number
of weightlifters, in spite of the amazing growth in records, is still at the
same point it was in the fifties. For example, you want to improve your
technique on the snatch - you practise the snatch; the jerk -- you practice
the jerk. I tell them to correct their mistakes differently -- to strengthen
separate groups of muscles. A simple example: an athlete is having trouble
with the snatch. They advise him to start differently, to change his grip on
the barbell -- wider or narrower. But it turns out that it's enough to build
up a group of muscles which 'do the trick' with the maximum effort and he
gets better results ...

"We often see the effect but not the cause of what's lacking. If an athlete
doesn't know how to jerk, he's not going to learn this only by jerking. But
if he were to do some necessary exercises in order to strengthen a group of
muscles (those necessary for the jerk) then he will get results. No one seems
to understand that, even though an exercise does not 'lie' [functionally]
right alongside the jerk, it influences, it gives you the jerk . . .

"Everyone supposes that my method is good for heavyweights alone. It's good
for anyone who wants to build up the strength of their muscles . . .

"My method is aimed at increasing the two lift total. We have many
outstanding weightlifters in the gyms, but very few at the competitions. Why?
Well, because one must know how to 'deliver' one's strength on the competing
platform. The object of today's trainers is not to teach an athlete the
correct way to lift a barbell. Most important, he must teach him to reason
and make important decisions independently. Without thought there's no
creation. And without creation, progress in our difficult work is impossible

"It seems to me that some of the talented athletes lack one thing-- they
haven't had an injury. That's right! An injury that will put them out of
commission for a year during which time they'll have a chance to weigh every-
thing. I, too, would not be where I am if I had not injured my back. I
suffered for a year and a half thinking everything over ... After a
misfortune, people pull through and become, if possible, great people -- and
sportsmen, in particular. Those who are stronger find their way out and to
the top ...

"Do I worry? Well, of course. If you don't worry, you'll never succeed at
anything. In sports, without the excitement of daring, you don't win victory
or records. When I'm too calm before a competition, I rouse myself with hot
coffee. The pulse must be beating -- no less than 18 times in ten seconds ...

" Excitement before competition is very dangerous. I, of course, have felt
it. Sometimes I calm myself --everything happens as it must, and so what
happens will happen. I must win, because I have a solid supply of strength

"Waiting causes the most anxiety. The heavyweights wait the longest, they put
the final touch on the championships. Usually, I do this. And while the
others are competing, I can barely stand the noise of the barbells, the
monotonous voice of the judge. Everything irritates me and annoys me. In
addition to this, I worry about the team. This puts a lot of strain on my
will . . .

'They say that the strongest wins. But the strongest in what way? I remember,
at the time of the championships in Lima, that Reding in training lifted
record weights. He had acquired a terrific strength and huge muscles, but he
lost to me, even though he was physically stronger. Why? Serge and I had
different ways of training. Others thought for him. He carried out the
suggestions of his coach, Dupont. Roughly speaking, Reding took in 'the
science of winning' though his ears. And this showed when he was on his own
with the barbell. But, as for me, I thought for myself. S erge also lost
because he wanted to beat me. That's all he thought about. He worried
constantly and burned himself out before he even got to the platform . . .

For me the most important thing is to beat myself, to lift the barbell that
up to this point I have not yet lifted. My rivals don't worry me very much.
It's good when your competitors are strong and bad when they are weak. The
same Reding, now dead, when he appeared without me, beat the records every
time. And I treated him respectfully because he always kept me in shape. Now
Enaldiev, Rachmanov, Plachkov, and Bonk do the same ...

"There was a time when I was overcome with anxiety, when I rarely competed so
that I was losing a sense of the platform. But when I started appearing often
and with a lot of gusto, my self-confidence returned, and with that records
and victories. Now, with a solid backlog of experience, I appear on the
platform less frequently. But for the time being I've not lost my fighting
qualities. Any competition is a holiday for me. During my training sessions,
I get up an enormous appetite to lift the heaviest barbell and to set a
record. Other times, honest, I think to myself: train with weights of 150 to
200 kilograms, how will I push 250? But I firmly believe in success and know
exactly how much I am going to pick up in my second turn--the first I do for
the team ...

"At the championship, I am in a proper fighting mood. When I put on my outfit
and my shoes, this very process transforms me. I become more energetic, more
excited. It's here that it's important not to lose your head, you should
compete as much as possible with sense ...

"What advice can I give to the young ones who come out onto the platform with
their teeth chattering from nerves? First, you must enter a competition well
prepared. And for this you must train sensibly; you must work on yourself
physically but save your nerves. It doesn't pay to get excited over nothing
while training, to show off your courage, to swagger. Save this charge for
the contest. And then be alert when you go up to the barbell . . . And, to
be frank, even with all my experience, I am sometimes very nervous--you
cannot imagine ...

"I have observed that many train without sense. They do a great deal of work
for nothing. For example, Falev, an athlete on the Soviet team weighing 110
kilograms, does squats with a barbell weighing 320 kilograms. I don't use one
weighing more than 270kg. There is a difference of 50 kilograms in his favor.
But he jerks 220kg, while I jerk 256kg. Thus, it turns out that the result in
the classical exercise is not determined by the strength of the legs ...

"In order to avoid noise, I used to train alone. Now, I go out among the
people. I show the youngsters the whys and wherefores. I tell them how to
polish up their technique. Naturally, this is more tiring, since I also train
myself."

Usually the great champions, while they are still active, hide their methods
of training. Alexeyev is not like that. It would seem that it would not be to
his advantage to share his experiences with young heavyweights, potential
rivals, with those who are already striving to replace him. However, Vasili
doesn't refuse anyone his help.

"I can't do otherwise. What kind of team captain would I be if I watched the
methods and technical mistakes of my teammates with indifference?"

My conviction that Alexeyev's priceless experience will not be lost was
strengthened when I saw that at the end of 1976 he conducted a trial
get-together at the Podolsk sports base to train the young heavyweights. I
won't try to describe in depth Alexevev's method (he has written about it in
his dissertation as a science degree candidate) but I'll explain the reason
for its great effectiveness.

Usually the athletes lift barbells and then immediately drop them. This takes
several seconds. According to Alexeyev's method, the sportsman finds himself
under the weight for a period of two or three minutes. The entire body must
sustain this prolonged effort, as the athlete completes several consecutive
exercises without letting go of the equipment. [Note that this would refer to
various hybrid exercises, as described in my "Supertraining"2000 book, p397,
436 Mel Siff]. The weight of the barbell is relatively light, but the
varied work with it affects every muscle cell.

By the end of the two-week session, all Alexeyev's students had increased
their bodyweights as a result of muscle growth and at the same time they'd
increased their abilities. Here is what Sultan Rachmanov said: "At first I
trained in mv own way. I didn't believe that Alexeyev's advice would help me.
Now I believe ... My shoulders, my back, everything is filling up with
strength. There is this to consider. Not everything will come my way, but
I'll take the most important! (At the USSR championships in Karaganda,
Rachmanov, who up until then had not been a 400kg man, became the third prize
winner with the distinguished sum of 420 kg. In the fall this athlete took
the USSR record in the snatch. And who is to know, perhaps he will be the
successor to the glory of the hero of the Munich and Montreal Olympic Games!)

Each of Alexeyev's students noted that thanks to this unusual system of
working they have acquired a good amount of self-confidence in their own
strength. Yes, and I too have noticed with what incredible ease the athletes
picked up the 160-kilo barbell in the snatch at the end of the training
session.

The 1976 annual "Heavy Athletics" ['Tyezhelaya Atletika' in Russian or
"Weightlifting" in English Mel Siff] ran a detailed article which Alexeyev
called "The Experience of My Training.' In this first scientific
publication of the strongest athlete, the author refutes some unsound
(although they've existed for ten years) methodological concepts about how to
develop strength in athletes of the heavyweight class.

He writes: "In the first years I trained according to the accepted methods.
But then, from 1966, I decided to significantly increase the size of my
training weight. This immediately brought results. By the end of 1967, I had
gained 32.5 kilograms in my triple sum total and by the end of 1968 -- 42.5
kilograms. For athletes of the superheavyweight class, the average rate of
growth had by this time significantly increased."

Vasily includes a great variety of exercises in his training. "Besides
exercises in the· snatch, jerk, or press, pull and squats, I have used many
other exercises with the barbell and weights. Bends with the barbell on the
shoulders; bends with the barbell on the shoulders while lying on the 'horse'
bracing one's hips, with the legs secured; jumps with the barbell on your
shoulders; press on crossbars with weights; bending and unbending the arms in
the elbow joints; squats on one leg; throwing the bar upward and behind; and
other exercises. In addition, in the first year of the time span analyzed,
these exercises consisted of, on the average, 360 lifts in the preparatory
period and 158 lifts during the competition period. In the second year,
correspondingly 841 and 506 lifts, and in the third 880 lifts a month."

[Note how different his highly varied training was from the training of elite
Bulgarian lifters. Mel Siff]

And here is the conclusion that Alexeyev drew at the end of his studies: "The
method of training I have used can be recommended to athletes of the
heavyweight class, and also to those athletes whose bodyweight does not
correspond to the height specifications. Y oung athletes should not inhibit
the growth of their bodyweight. They should be more courageous about entering
their proper weight class ...

"One of the conditions for fast growth in the scores of future athletes of
heavyweight classes is the completion of large amounts of exercises with the
barbell and other weights. The problem is that beginning athletes of the
light or middle weight, in order to become first-class athletes, must
increase their muscle mass by approximately 25 percent. For heavyweights it's
50 percent and more. The growth of the muscle mass is directly dependent on
the amount of the training loads . . .

"It is also important to note that you can achieve high scores at
competitions by decreasing to a minimum the lifting of barbells of maximum
weight in the snatch and jerk exercises, by significantly decreasing the num
ber of lifts of the barbell with big weights."

I don't doubt that in the near future the mining engineer Vasily Alexeyev
will successfully conclude his graduate study as a correspondence student in
the Institute of Physical Culture and will become a graduate in pedagogical
studies.

He will probably change his qualifications because he already considers
himself outside weightlifting. He will become a coach. A good one! But for
the moment, Alexeyev is thinking about his third victory at the Olympic
Games.

I asked the champion how he was able in 18 years of training to "grow" more
than 70 kilograms of muscle?

"Earlier I didn't lift less than 20 tons. More often the daily load was 25 to
30 tons. What's more, these aren't the same tons that our 'boys' lift today.
You have to multiply their tons by two or three; that's the factor of
difficulty which I applied in my exercises. If necessary, I would even now be
ready to lift 40 tons in one training session ...

"Besides, speaking about the physical make-up of heavyweights, some experts
feel that the ability to get high scores should be combined with the
development of a trim figure. I have departed from this quite a bit. What is
the weakest part of a person's constitution? You don't know? In my opinion,
the part of the spine at the waist. And I constantly reinforce it by growing
a 'corset' with my muscles [If this sounds familiar, then think of Louie
Simmons and his powerlifters who advocate much the same. Mel Siff]. Yes, we
superheavyweights are not too pretty to look at, but our body makeup is
expedient for picking up record barbells."

"I'll have time to work on my figure when I retire from weightlifting,"
Vasily said, smiling. "For the moment, I do and will continue to do only that
which makes me stronger. I notice some talented athletes spend more time
building their muscles for the sake of form and that this muscular
development impedes their ability to lift maximum weights. They aren't too
concerned with their ability to defend the honor of Soviet sports abroad.
What is the sense of their beautiful figures?!"

"My task for the future is quite clear," explains Alexeyev. "It is to create
in Ryazan, where I have settled, a center for weightlifting. To get some
coaches and help them. I'll develop a method for each different age group --
from the beginning to maturity. I've tried out everything on myself ...
Maybe, I'll invite some boys with potential to Ryazan, boys who don't have
coaches or suitable conditions for training. I don't mean this would be to
lure them away. We are still behind in many weight classes. I would like to
work, and I have no profit motive ...

"For the time being I still want to win and set records. I love this
occupation. I respect weightlifting. It teaches you to master the art and at
the necessary moment to organize yourself. It's because I feel so 'in love'
with the barbell that I gave it the best years of my life. For me sport is
life. Hemingway put it well when he wrote: 'Sport teaches you to win
honestly. Sport teaches you to lose with dignity. In a word, sport teaches
you life'...

[Unfortunately, far too many athletes today, especially in pro sports, don't
seem to believe Hemingway! Mel Siff]

"There is no point in denying that for the athlete, as for the artist,
recognition is a necessity. A good artist controls his public. The athlete
first causes his public to be amazed, then to worry about their idol, and
finally to love him for his skill, his strength, and his courage. One wants
to startle the world with something incredible. Then they recognize you. For
this it is worth working like a dog. Especially since in our time, it becomes
more and more difficult to surprise anybody ...

"When I joined the weightlifting section, there were no sharp definitions
between the methods of training. I was not used to training mechanically and
I didn't like this. I began to think for myself, how to organize an effective
system of training. I knew from my own experience that, with stubborn effort,
one can do anything. I didn't spare myself. I worked with maximum weights,
analyzed my situation, and again began training. I invented many things
myself. For example, I began to work a great deal with the barbell in water.
I searched and experimented...and here is the result. I made my way from 500
to 600 kilograms in three years. >From then on I wanted to be first ...

[Note that lifting weights against various opposing media such as elastic
bands and chains, a la Westside - and, in this case, lifting against water
resistance (which is variable) - can be a useful supplementary form of
training. Mel Siff]

"At 28 I set my first record, having had a solid physical preparation. I ran,
jumped, played volleyball -- with first-class sports strength. At the age of
12, I began to train with homemade barbells. They are still to be found in my
mother's yard. All of them weigh more than two tons. I didn't think of any
records. I always respected strength in people and I wanted to have it
myself. What boy doesn't want to be strong and skillful? I'm sure there isn't
one."

"Isn't the cultivation of one's physical abilities detrimental to the
development of the mind?", I once asked Alexeyev and showed him a quotation
from the magazine "Bicyclist", which was published in St Petersburg in the
last century. "To make a man an athlete and at the same time a man of
learning is simply impossible. In order to regulate the body in accordance
with physiological law it is necessary for the physical work to be in reverse
proportion to the intellectual work. Only in view of these circumstances,
instead of opposition, can one achieve the desired balance. . .

"There is some truth in this," agreed Vasily, "I have known from my own
experience how difficult it is to read even entertaining literature after a
hard training session. I can never sit too long in one place. It's torture
for me. I absolutely must move. Therefore it`s not easy for us to study. And
yet all Soviet athletes get a higher education. But they lay certain claims
on us. Some would like to see the big sportsman as a well-rounded
intellectual. But this doesn't happen in reality. Take any scholar, dig a bit
and you will find that in many things he is an ignoramus."

"Do you think about leaving sports?"

"I clearly understand that I won't be around forever. But I still have the
desire to compete and compete. Even though I soon will be 36 and age in
sports is critical, I have outlasted and I think I will still outlast some of
the younger 'old men' who don't know how to compete. I've outlived Patera,
Dube, Reding, and Mang..."

"Our youth is now coming up"

"Whom do you have in mind?"

"Enaldiev, Rachmanov . . . "

"What kind of youth is this? -- they are about 30. It's me who is young and
coming up. But you can't make comparisons with me. I am no worse now than I
was in 1970, when I was 28 years old."

"And yet is there a reason to remain on the competing platform? After all,
your remaining in sports keeps you from making progress in the industrial
field."

"Sometimes I worry about this. When I was just a Master of Sports, they
offered me a choice -- rather, they advised me to 'drop' my barbells because
my absences from work (while at the contests) interfered with my job. At the
factory I worked with zeal and at the Kotlas paper works, they appreciated
me. They wanted me to become a technical expert. But I wanted to achieve
great things in sports and I refused the tempting offer. I found work which
allowed me to spend more time with the barbells. I was not wrong in my
choice. I don't regret anything. Even though, of course, I've missed some
things. I imagine that if I had not gotten so passionately involved in
sports, I might have had more success at the factory where they also
appreciated me. My principle is to work honestly.''

It is difficult to approach Alexeyev. But in rare moments of frankness, it's
a real pleasure to chat with him and listen to him. He has a tendency to be
too stern and at times he is somewhat unfair to our friend, the journalist.
But it seems he can't be any other way.

Once a famous pilot and hero of the Soviet Union, Georgi Mosolov, talking
about heroic deeds, wrote: "The strength of the muscles, as if blending with
the strength of the will, makes for a third strength, the strength that helps
sportsmen set phenomenal world records. That is the very strength people find
in themselves, people who have crossed a limit that until then had been
considered impossible."

The Russian giant has passed that boundary 80 times! Sometimes he fought for
victory (in spite of himself) and won. In these moments Vasily Alexeyev was
saved by the main component--the third strength--the indomitable will.

---------------

Dr Siff Notes:
Here is the next installment on the intriguing Russian behemoth, Vasily
Alexeyev. I cannot recall who sent it to me or from which reference it came,
so, if anyone does know, please let me know, so that we can provide full
acknowledgements for this fascinating tale.

-------------------------

ALEXEYEV- THE BEST AT EVERYTHING (continued)

William O. Johnson

...... He went on. "There are two categories of performer in my sport.
First: those who view competitions as tortures. Second: those who see
competitions as great celebrations. I am in the middle of those two. For some
performers there is a psychological problem. As the weight is greater, the
more the mind makes the weight seem to be. But we are from the U.S.S.R., and
such a psychological situation is no problem. During Shakespeare's times it
was said,'What must be cannot be avoided.' That is how it is when I lift. To
successfully lift the weight cannot be avoided. I experience the tortures und
the celebration. But I lift as well as I lift because it cannot be avoided.

"I am asked to make many speeches in the Soviet Union. I am very much at ease
and I say to crowds,'O.K, what topic do you like me to talk about?' They ask
me to tell my biography, how I got to be a great sportsman, and they ask my
impression of my last competition. Of course, I have nearly always won the
last competition, so my impressions are always happy, proud. I say I have
become a great champion because of my love of hard work and my great striving
to reach the target of winning."

When I asked whether he considered his victories some sort of proof of the
U.S.S.R.'s superiority over the U.S., Alexeyev replied, "I have always had to
win because I respect my people and I display my country's success by
winning. As to whether we would prove the Soviet way better than the American
in the competitions of weightlifting - such a target was never put before
us."

It was about 11:45 in the morning, another translucent autumn day in
Alexeyev's courtyard. Young Dmitri was kicking his soccer ball, the Doberman
puppy scrambling wildly after it. The boy's school hours were in the
afternoon. His brother attended morning classes--there are double sessions in
Shakhty. Suddenly the door of Alexeyev's house banged open and the great man
stepped out. He was dressed in electric-blue sweat pants, Adidas sneakers, a
thin apple-green T shirt. In his right hand he carried a bulging Adidas bag
and looked not unlike a gigantic commuter bound for his train. And Vasili
Alexeyev was indeed on his way to work. He strode about 25 mighty paces, and
there he was at his office, chairman of the board, to say nothing of king of
the mountain.

In those 25 paces from his back door to the bar, the weights and the rubber
mats laid by the brick wall, everything in Alexeyev's existence as premier
sports hero of the Soviet Union and strongest man in the world was on
display. He moved with a powerful swagger across the courtyard bricks. His
massive arms kept rhythm with the steady pump of his great thighs and his
head swayed--gently, arrogantly--with each stride. He radiated absolute peace
and self-assurance. His face was composed in the benign, even saintly,
self-confident expression of an old-fashioned king absolutely certain of his
divine right to reign. There might have been music, The Hallelujah Chorus
perhaps, but it was not necessary.

At the weightlifting area he unzipped the bag to take out a package of talcum
powder and a white leather girdle which he strapped beneath his belly to
diminish the immense strain on his stomach muscles when he hoists the
weights. The weights, the great discs of iron, were stacked along the garden
wall. He studied them, then picked up one weighing 25 kilos (55 pounds) andd
fitted it on one end of the bar. He got a similar disc on the other end and
began to work. Next he progressed to 65 kilos (143 pounds). He dusted his
hands with talcum, spat into his palms, bent and gripped the bar. With a
horrible gasp and grunt he yanked it to shoulder level, paused, then raised
it, in triumph, it seemed, above his head. He held it there for a moment,
then let it fall to the mats with an explosive crash. In the soft morning,
with his Shakhtinka roses budding nearby and the leaves of the grapevines
rustling on the garden wall, with the chirping of the birds in his trees and
the civilized sound of trolley cars in the distance, the savage clangor of
the falling weight was as unnerving as a grenade blast at one's feet.

Alexeyev lifted the 65 kilos three or four times as a warmup. He rested for a
moment, leaning on a padded gymnastic horse. He said nothing. He seemed to be
concentrating very hard, as though slipping into some kind of trance
necessary to the superhuman feats he performed so regularly. Dmitri and the
puppy scampered by his feet. and Alexeyev emerged from his trance to inquire,
"Have you done all your lessons?" Offended, the boy replied that of course he
had. Alexeyev added more weight and lifted something over 250 pounds. He
seemed about to burst when he hoisted the bar above his head. His belly
strained against the leather girdle. He dropped the weight with the same
hideous crash. He lifted it again and let it fall. Then, panting, he leaned
again against the horse. Once more he seemed to be entering a quasi-mystical
state of concentration, which it seemed wise not to interrupt. But then he
looked at me and said, "Ask me something."

Well, all right. Could he explain his training technique? He said, "The
difference between my methodics and others is great. What is mainly different
is that I train more often and I lift more weights than others. I never know
when I will train. Sometimes deep in the night, sometimes in the morning.
Sometimes several times a day, sometimes not at all. I never repeat myself.
Only I understand what is right for me. I have never had a coach. I know my
own possibilities bestly. No coach knows them. Coaches grow old and they have
old ideas."

END OF PART 2

John Alston
09-28-2007, 10:12 AM
HAM MILK CASHEWS APPLE WHEY

RATING: cinderblock swing.

John Alston
10-01-2007, 06:22 AM
1/3 lb of roast beef.
Fuji Apple.
Almond Butter.

Rating: http://city-journal.org/html/17_3_economic_inequality.html

Yuen Sohn
10-01-2007, 08:56 AM
A protein shake to go.
Coffee.

Rating: I refuse to yield to those walking and reading newspapers at the same time. I hope you enjoyed my stiff shoulder.

Yael Grauer
10-01-2007, 01:27 PM
Scrambled eggs, cheese, spinach, onion, smoked turkey.
Rating: It's good to be eating breakfast (and lunch) again.

Yuen Sohn
10-04-2007, 07:45 AM
A bad apple and bad coffee.

Rating: Lacking in the meat and squat department.

John Alston
10-04-2007, 09:51 AM
HAM
Prunes
Peanut Butter

Rating: All y'all's balls is too small.

Yuen Sohn
10-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Berries
Protein shake
Good coffee

Rating: This is Farta!

John Alston
10-05-2007, 06:54 AM
OS Trim - ostrich/beef snack stick
Whey and whole milkshake
apple
peanut butter

Rating: Eff the zone! Blocks? What am I building, a freaking lego space ship?

Allen Yeh
10-05-2007, 08:50 AM
Rating: Eff the zone! Blocks? What am I building, a freaking lego space ship?

Don't dis the legos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjCL0_0Il7w

John Alston
10-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Don't dis the legos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjCL0_0Il7w

Hey I love legos, I just ain't made of 'em!

Allen Yeh
10-05-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey I love legos, I just ain't made of 'em!

That would make mass gain/fat loss easier though wouldn't it?

Yuen Sohn
10-08-2007, 07:09 AM
A protein shake
Coffee

Rating: ...all you savage cats know that I was strapped with gats when you were cuddlin' a Cabbage Patch

John Alston
10-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Steak strips
pear (bartlett? bosc?)
peanut butter

Rating: Holding a 3lb camera for 6 hours makes my arms stiffer than max effort clean and jerks. I need to charge more for my services.

John Alston
10-09-2007, 08:40 AM
Leftover shrimp encrusted pork chops
apple, peanut butter, yadda yadda

Rating: If only...
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8gnq0/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/Pisarenko_back_1982.jpg
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8gnq0/klemensweightliftingphotos/id10.html

John Alston
10-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Deli chicken and grapes and melon (green).
Almond butter.

Rating: all your snatch are belong to us.

Yuen Sohn
10-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Half a carton of spring mix (i.e., expensive dandelion leaves)
Half a large avocado
Some leftover streetfair meet-on-a-stick
A leftover sirloin steak
2 cups of bad coffee

Rating: So Godzilla attacked NY in my dream last night. Honestly, it felt a lot scarier than what I imagined a Godzilla attack would feel like from watching those movies growing up. You just can't reason with Godzilla, and nobody could figure out why he was so pissed in the first place. The bastard circled the restaurant I was in 3 TIMES. What was worse were the aliens shaped like circular saws that were wreaking havoc on Flushing Meadows, Queens. The robotic ant wars that soon followed didn't exactly contribute to a good night's rest either. At some point, I found myself trying parkour, then mountain climbing. It was fun, and fortunately, since I wasn't ACTUALLY exerting myself -- merely dreaming -- I just sped up the mountain like it was nothing. Unfortunately, near the pinnacle, dozens upon dozens of people started tumbling down at me. One guy with a big smile on his face almost took me out. Apparently I had picked a day to climb when a cult was committing mass suicide, so the park ranger would later tell me.

Yuen Sohn
10-17-2007, 06:10 AM
Plain yogurt
Strawberries
Pineapple
OK coffee

Rating: A bosu ball back squat -- above parallel.

John Alston
10-18-2007, 07:00 AM
Turkey peanut butter and an apple. Coffee and fishoil.

Rating: Fart bombs!

Yuen Sohn
10-18-2007, 07:10 AM
Just an imaginary steak and brussel sprouts.

Had telecons/meetings starting at 8AM that I completely forgot about. No time to defrost my NY strip steak from the freezer.

Rating: A flying camel.

Yuen Sohn
10-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Just Coffee

Rating: WWPD?

Yuen Sohn
10-20-2007, 03:08 PM
Square Diner:
2 eggs
Bacon
A fresh fruit salad (mango, pineapple, strawberries, melon)
Some toast and potatoes

Rating: So in my dream last night, I was at the doctor's office and complained of short-term memory lapses. He laid me on a table, drilled my head open and removed my brain. He placed it on a cutting board and proceeded to thaw it out with a creme brule torch. He said, "Don't worry, I have it set to 'low.'" As he jammed my brain back into my head, I started to feel more and more nauseous and numb. After 5 minutes, I started feeling my lower legs and after 10 minutes, I felt pretty damn good.

Yuen Sohn
10-22-2007, 06:29 AM
Protein shake with mixed berries
A (free) packet of cheap peanut butter
Decent coffee

Rating: The giant centipedes in my apartment are mounting an offensive!

John Alston
10-22-2007, 06:32 AM
Egg protein shake
peanut butter
prunes

Rating: Super Slavic Strength Diet, aka, cabbage, in effect for lunch, more. I see 95/120!!!!

Yuen Sohn
10-23-2007, 05:27 AM
morning scramble (eggs, ham, cheese)
protein shake with berries and yogurt
ok coffee
a ridiculous amount of work to do before catching a 1:00 train.

Rating: WHO THE F*** JAMMED THE 3-HOLE-PUNCH MACHINE?!?!

John Alston
10-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Steak and eggs with Mexican cheese and salsa, bitch.
Apple, bitch.
Peanut butter, bitch.

Rating: Bitch bitch bitch.

Derek Simonds
10-24-2007, 08:33 AM
I had to post my breakfast yesterday from the Wynn

Big ole slice of ham
Yogurt, fresh nuts and strawberries
Scrambled eggs with pico de gallo, salsa and fresh guacomole
1 Taso Ham egg benedict (WOW)
1 bowl of sliced pink grapefruit

Rating: How in the hell do I get this every morning!

BTW John even if you go IF you still will be having a breakfast meal it just won't be at the traditional time, so you can keep this thread going forever!

John Alston
10-24-2007, 08:40 AM
BTW John even if you go IF you still will be having a breakfast meal it just won't be at the traditional time, so you can keep this thread going forever!

No. This is breakfast. Not some post modern notion of linguistic historicism that recreates "breaking of the fast." Breakfast, simple. Deconstruction is for joggers.
As thread creator, I set the rules, and the rules were and are:
Breakfast is defined as a meal one has soon after waking up, or a meal consisting of traditional breakfast foods.
I mocked (gently, this is the PM after all) others for posting their IF first meals, and it would be bullshit for me to claim that a 2pm first meal is a breakfast. Unless it was pancakes.
Others can keep the thread alive. I bet I'll have some breakfasts on the weekend, when my normal 2pm first meal often takes a nice breakfasty/brunchy turn. But the rules are the rules. Relativism is for wimps who can't hack the rules.

Ben Blosch
10-24-2007, 01:30 PM
I'll join, even though my breakfast is usually the same thing every morning. This thread is not going to die damnit.

4 scrambled omega-3 eggs
2 ounces turkey sausage
quarter avocado
apple

Rating: 10 pounds short of a deadlift PR. Only because I was hungry 3 hours later.

Yuen Sohn
10-24-2007, 04:56 PM
Coffee
Orange juice
Rice pudding
More coffee
More orange juice
Even more coffee...

Not my finest moment, but I had to lead a 7 hour training session on 2.5 hours of sleep.

Rating: Surprisingly ok, except that I've urinated about 17 times already today.

Yuen Sohn
10-25-2007, 04:25 AM
Coffee
Scrambled eggs
Ham
Some potatoes
Cheese and tomato salsa
More coffee
A can of V8

Rating: This complimentary breakfast tasted 25% better than if I had to pay for it.

Yuen Sohn
10-25-2007, 04:29 AM
Others can keep the thread alive. I bet I'll have some breakfasts on the weekend, when my normal 2pm first meal often takes a nice breakfasty/brunchy turn.

Good luck with the program. And all this time, the only I.F. I thought you were capable of was Intermittent Farting.

John Alston
10-26-2007, 06:15 AM
Steak and an egg.
An apple.
Some olive oil - two teaspoons.

Rating: Power chord.

Yuen Sohn
10-26-2007, 07:59 AM
Protein shake with berries
2 packs of free peanut butter
Coffee. Lots of it.

Rating: Back in NY and a bit drained. Something smells kind of funny in my apartment now, much like lunch meat that has gone really foul. The last time this happened was over a year ago in my previous place -- something smelled rotten near my desk and I looked everywhere, fearing that something had died and was slowly decomposing. It drove me mad, as the smell got more intense but I just couldn't find the source. It being July with no working AC at the time didn't exactly work in my favor either. After 3 days or so, I just resigned myself to the fact that a mouse had died behind the wall and would eventually dry up and cease to stink. No biggie. At the end of the week, I finally did find that damn mouse corpse (he was under a rolling file cabinet in the corner). I felt the need to take a 30 minute shower after cleaning up the remnants.

John Alston
10-29-2007, 06:32 AM
Cottage cheese, one container.
A whey and fiber shake.
A few prunes, two tablespoons of fishoil.

Rating: I've don't recall any talk of interment fasting.

Yuen Sohn
10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Just coffee

Rating: An F, C, Dm, Dm, F, C, Gm chord progression

Derek Simonds
10-30-2007, 05:52 AM
4 scrambled eggs
1 banana
1 actica vanilla yogurt

Rating: As vanilla as the yogurt

From the Word of the Day email

jentacular (jen-TAK-yuh-luhr) adjective

Relating to breakfast.

[From Latin jentare (to breakfast).]

My this is quite a jentacular conglomeration of posts we have here.

Yuen Sohn
10-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Omelet with ham, cheese, peppers and tomato salsa on the side
Berry smoothie
2 free packets of peanut butter
Coffee

Rating: Too bad I don't have anywhere to Oly this morning. Some ante-jentacular clean and jerks would have been nice.

Yuen Sohn
10-31-2007, 07:09 AM
Protein shake
coffee
free packet of peanut butter (I think the cafeteria employees are on to me, though).

Rating: NY Style Taco

John Alston
10-31-2007, 07:12 AM
Pork chop
Egg/Whey powder blend in milk
apple
almond buttah
coffee

Rating:“The University of Delaware’s residence life education program is a grave intrusion into students’ private beliefs,” FIRE President Greg Lukianoff said. “The university has decided that it is not enough to expose its students to the values it considers important; instead, it must coerce its students into accepting those values as their own. At a public university like Delaware, this is both unconscionable and unconstitutional.”

The university’s views are forced on students through a comprehensive manipulation of the residence hall environment, from mandatory training sessions to “sustainability” door decorations. Students living in the university’s eight housing complexes are required to attend training sessions, floor meetings, and one-on-one meetings with their Resident Assistants (RAs). The RAs who facilitate these meetings have received their own intensive training from the university, including a “diversity facilitation training” session at which RAs were taught, among other things, that “[a] racist is one who is both privileged and socialized on the basis of race by a white supremacist (racist) system. The term applies to all white people (i.e., people of European descent) living in the United States, regardless of class, gender, religion, culture or sexuality.” (http://thefire.org/index.php/article/8555.html)

Yuen Sohn
11-01-2007, 10:41 AM
I've got nothing today

Rating: http://youtube.com/watch?v=KhTCOcJltsk

Derek Simonds
11-01-2007, 04:22 PM
banana on the way to bjj at 7:00 am after o/lifting
pure protein bar
16 oz chocolate milk

Rating: its what you get when you eat in the car.

Yoon is that you in the video for 31oct2007 practice?

Yuen Sohn
11-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Yes, that's me!

Derek Simonds
11-02-2007, 04:30 AM
Yes, that's me! Nice! I will have to subscribe to that user so I can watch the new videos. It looked like a great session.

1 Pear
1/2 Banana (split with my little princess) loads of peanut butter
3 eggs over easy

Rating: Never argue when the wife cooks eggs

Yuen Sohn
11-02-2007, 06:13 AM
haha, actually 'joonbug2006'-->me
I'm going to start taping/posting practice sessions of myself and teammates so we can analyze each other, so check back for future updates. Just ignore my teammate Oskar :) (he's the guy who comments during my vid on women who smoke).

protein shake
a free pack of peanut butter
coffee

rating: a Moogerfooger MuRF filter

Derek Simonds
11-02-2007, 08:46 AM
I loved that part! What would NY be without a comment or two.

Derek Simonds
11-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Asparagus, Turkey and Cheddar Cheese 3 Egg Omelette
3 over easy egg yolks
1/2 Turkey and Cheddar 2 Egg Omelette

Kids weren't that hungry and I guess I was

Rating: How in the hell does asparagus change the smell of your urine so quickly?

Yuen Sohn
11-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Rating: How in the hell does asparagus change the smell of your urine so quickly?

Dayum! I was just noticing that myself this week after eating grilled asparagus for lunch. It seemed like the stink was instantaneous. Fortunately, no coworkers walked in and used the adjacent stall while I was taking care of business.

Yesterday and today:
Just coffee. Lots of it.

Rating: 3 plates of Indian buffet for lunch and afternoon lifting do not make a good combination.

John Alston
11-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Turkey, pairs, pb, coffee... I'm still eating it.

Rating: An excerpt from The Fallacy of Campaign Finance Reform (http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/734501.html)

Derek Simonds
11-06-2007, 09:59 AM
11/5 EAS RTD protein shake on the way to the airport

Rating: sucks to be me spending most of my day in planes

11/6 spinach, mushroom, ham, sausage and cheese omelette with a bowl of fruit and yogurt.

Rating: I love free breakfast at the hilton garden inn

Yuen Sohn
11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Backfilling data...

05-Nov-2007:
protein shake
coffee
free packet of peanut butter

Rating: This work-issued ThinkPad is the shits and the pits.

Yuen Sohn
11-06-2007, 02:56 PM
06-Nov-2007:

Coffee
Bacon ham and eggs.

Rating: http://youtube.com/watch?v=mihppXHhpD0 ...a goal for 2008?

Nick Tirkalas
11-06-2007, 04:16 PM

I was asking myself this today. I think it was something like less than 30 minutes and it infiltrated my system to nauseous proportions.:)

Yuen Sohn
11-07-2007, 06:59 AM
protein shake
coffee

Rating: Had my first flesh-eating zombie dream last night. Like the Godzilla dream, it was a lot scarier to experience than to watch on TV.

John Alston
11-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Turkey, Apple, PB., coffee, fishoil.

Rating: Mucinex D.

Yuen Sohn
11-08-2007, 06:35 AM
T-bone steak
A giant blob of plain yogurt
Sort of fresh pineapple
A free packet of peanut butter
An extra large coffee (black as always)

Rating: There's a Chipotle now open down the street from my apartment!!

Derek Simonds
11-08-2007, 02:53 PM
some scrambled eggs
3 slices pineapple
3 slices watermelon
1 berry yogurt

Rating: another breakfast in a concierge room

Yoon where do you get all the free packets of PB? They seem to be a staple of your diet.

Yuen Sohn
11-08-2007, 08:21 PM
Ah yes. I get the packets from the company cafeteria -- they keep a basketful of 'em near the bagel & muffin station for people who buy...bagels and muffins. Upon reviewing my entries, I'm sure the cashiers are on to me since there's never anything I get in the morning that one could possibly spread peanut butter on (protein shakes, coffee, omelettes, fruit, etc.).

Rating: Shameless

Yuen Sohn
11-09-2007, 06:57 AM
09-Nov-2007

Omelette (ham, cheese, peppers)
A giant leftover Caesar salad I snagged from a meeting yesterday
Pack of peanut butter
Coffee

Rating: I had another dream where everyone kept on telling me to get my act together and grow up. On a somewhat related note, I've been wearing the same dress slacks to work for 8 days straight.

Derek Simonds
11-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Kids wanted pancakes so pancakes they shall have!

Vanilla Protein Pancakes (1 1/2 scoops vanilla protein mixed into batter) covered with peanut butter and a little raw honey for syrup. OK I had one, just one and it was good.

4 Sunny Side up eggs, I had the gridle out and that is the only way to roll, big slab of butter and eggs.

It is always a blast cooking with the family. BTW major bonus points as I served my wife her breakfast in bed with the Sunday funnies.

Rating: Roll in bed with honey. :D

Yuen Sohn
11-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Got nothing today.

Rating: Still wearing the same pants

John Alston
11-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Chicken, fruit, peanut butter, coffee.

Rating: More ass than class, more gas than mass. Mama said... mama said.

Yuen Sohn
11-14-2007, 06:07 AM
Plain yogurt
Strawberries
Pineapple
A pack of peanut butter
A cup of milk from the pantry fridge

Rating: Day 11: Same pants

John Alston
11-14-2007, 06:22 AM
Cottage cheese, grape tomatoes, almonds, coffee.

Rating: You've been listening, you've been listening in.

Derek Simonds
11-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Yoon those pants must be able to stand on their own by now.

Today must have been cottage cheese day

3/4 cup 4% milkfat cottage cheese
4 oz rolled up boars head turkey
3 TBSP's BCAA (I am trying a liquid version to see if I like it)

Rating: I miss my eggs

Yuen Sohn
11-15-2007, 06:54 AM
2 salmon filets
Asparagus
Roasted red peppers

Rating: Guess what I'm wearing today...

John Alston
11-15-2007, 07:41 AM
Roast beef. Apple. What else do you want to know about, you perverts?

Rating: Boar's Head? Bullshit.

Yuen Sohn
11-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Yoon those pants must be able to stand on their own by now.

As far as I can tell/smell, they're holding up fine. But the thought occurred to me during a meeting today that perhaps I've become gradually desensitized and that I perhaps really, really do stink badly.

Yuen Sohn
11-16-2007, 06:31 AM
Protein shake
Berries
A packet of peanut butter
A big cup of coffee

Rating: New pants for today...and the remainder of 2007?

John Alston
11-19-2007, 06:23 AM
Milky whey shake
apple
fishoil

Rating: In need of snatch.

Yuen Sohn
11-19-2007, 08:11 AM
protein shake
coffee

Am craving some sweet potatoes, actually.

Rating: 1.6 GPF ain't no match for me this morning.

Yuen Sohn
11-20-2007, 07:55 AM
Just coffee

Rating: Last night's really random dreams consisted of
-defending a crumbling gingerbread skyscraper against pterodactyls
-Derek Simonds posting on the PM about happy hour drinks at a bar downtown
-paying too much for TIME magazine

John Alston
11-20-2007, 09:41 AM
Beef, broccoli, tomato, avocado, fishoil, water.

Rating: Eating, living, like person, a man.

Yuen Sohn
11-21-2007, 07:30 AM
Emergency steak from the freezer at work
Plain yogurt
Strawberries
Pineapple
Coffee

Rating: New pants today

Yuen Sohn
11-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Turkey, turkey and more turkey.
Coffee

Rating: A Superfly Snuka

Yuen Sohn
11-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Just Coffee

Rating:
A clean-grip shrugx15

Allen Yeh
11-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanksgiving leftover breakfast.....
turkey + gravy
sweet potato casserole

Rating:
Gobble gobble?

Yuen Sohn
11-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Plain Yogurt
Strawberries
Pineapple
Hard-boiled eggs
Coffee

Rating: Everybody wants a piece

John Alston
11-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Steak, apple, peanutbutter, fishoil.

Rating: extra sensitive lubricated condom.

Allen Yeh
11-28-2007, 06:58 AM
Coffee, green tea and cough drops.

Rating: Achoo.

Yuen Sohn
11-28-2007, 07:06 AM
Just coffee

Rating: This shirt stinks.

Scott Clark
11-28-2007, 07:45 PM
3 eggs
orange
homemade lemonade
milk + whey + blueberries + ground flax seeds

:)

Derek Simonds
11-29-2007, 04:35 AM
Couple of bites of eggs. I just couldn't get them down after the metcon this morning.
Whey, Yogurt, Organic PB, Flaxseed

Rating: Didn't puke

Allen Yeh
11-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Coffee, green tea and cough drops.

Rating: Achoo.

Again....being sick sucks.

Derek Simonds
11-29-2007, 05:55 AM
I am just getting better. Keep fighting the good fight.

Yuen Sohn
11-29-2007, 08:36 AM
a shake
berries
pack of peanut butter
coffee

Rating: Holy s***, it's almost December!!

Yuen Sohn
11-30-2007, 07:32 AM
Just coffee.
Not feeling it today.

Rating: A Yahoo! Slurp Spider

Yuen Sohn
12-03-2007, 09:52 AM
A rushed Monday. Running late and left my sweet potatoes on the sofa.

2 cups of milk from the work fridge
3 cups of coffee

Rating: The Adventure Begins!

Derek Simonds
12-03-2007, 12:52 PM
2 1/2 scoops choclate chip protein with water
Apple
banana

Rating: With Yoon super rushed and drank it on the way to Tampa for meetings.

Allen Yeh
12-04-2007, 03:58 AM
turkey+gravy, a pear, a packet of coromega and a cup of yerba mate

Rating: Best breakfast I've had in a week...woohoo

Yuen Sohn
12-04-2007, 06:20 AM
-2 eggs, sunnyside up.
-turkey bacon
-yesterday's forgotten sweet potato
-coffee
-a PayDay candy bar

Rating: Gotta keep up with these darn whipper-schnappers...

John Alston
12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
An orange, an avocado, and mix whey-egg protein shake.
Fishoil!

Rating: Toxic cabbage and lamb sausage farts oh yeah.

John Alston
12-04-2007, 07:12 AM
3 eggs
orange
homemade lemonade
milk + whey + blueberries + ground flax seeds

:)

Scott, is that emoticon a rating for this breakfast?

John Alston
12-05-2007, 08:24 AM
From the deli bar...
chicken, blackberries, raspberries, a little melon.

Rating: Needs More Fat.

Derek Simonds
12-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Banana with organic peanut butter
2 eggs

Rating: fits like a glove.

Yuen Sohn
12-05-2007, 11:34 AM
Just coffee

Rating: The days are getting shorter, deadlines are looming, people are anxious, and I've got the Benny Hill song stuck in my head.

Allen Yeh
12-06-2007, 03:25 AM
I've got the Benny Hill song stuck in my head.

You've cursed me.

Yuen Sohn
12-06-2007, 08:49 AM
Just coffee again.

Rating: A cold shower on a cold day.

You've cursed me.
Awesome!

Yuen Sohn
12-07-2007, 05:32 AM
3 eggs sunnyside up
turkey bacon
a sweet potato
coffee

Rating: Icy cold outside and inside. Another day without heat and hot water -- I may have been the only person in the building this morning who bothered to take a shower.

Yuen Sohn
12-10-2007, 07:44 AM
3 eggs
bacon
strawberries
pineapple
plain yogurt
coffee

Rating: What happened to the weekend???

Yuen Sohn
12-11-2007, 07:05 PM
3 eggs
bacon
strawberries
pineapple
plain yogurt
coffee

Rating: I have the feeling there's something important I'm completely forgetting about. Birthday? Deadline? Appointment?
At least I remembered to log my breakfast.

John Alston
12-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Turkey, the dark meat.
Berries.
Fishoil.

Rating: it's not a smoked salmon, guacamole, pine nut pancake, but it'll do.

Yael Grauer
12-12-2007, 10:23 PM
vanilla yogurt
almond afternoon granola

rating: "i eat twigs and berries, and i'm kind of hairy, i may not always smell so clean, but when you call me a stinkin' hippie, aw man, it really hurts the team."
(poem written by someone i met in 2001; I made him copy it in my scrapbook)

Tony Ferous
12-13-2007, 03:02 AM
Cold omlette made the night before(why didnt i think of that earlier?),
sweet potato,
dried peaches,
2 tbsps hemp protein
fish oil

Rating - i think my colleagues much prefer cold omlettes to canned tuna for my breakfasts....

John Alston
12-13-2007, 06:05 AM
leftover steak.
prunes.
peanut butter.
fishoil gone cloudy, yech.

Rating: Brooklyn.

Yuen Sohn
12-14-2007, 06:36 AM
eggs
bacon
plain yogurt
strawberries
pineapple
coffee

Rating:
--------------------------
Sent using DingleBerry

John Alston
12-14-2007, 06:45 AM
Deli chicken, fruits:a nice mix.
A few fishoil.
Milk gone sour.

Rating: [Hillary] Clinton calls herself a "government junkie." She says, "There is no such thing as other people's children" and promises to work on "redefining who we are as human beings in the post-modern age."

Derek Simonds
12-18-2007, 06:02 AM
3 eggs lightly scrambled
1 tri-o-plex bar with gooey peanut butter filling

Rating: same pants 3 days in a row

Yuen Sohn
12-18-2007, 06:51 AM
Just coffee.

Rating: I had chocolate cake on the face, but nobody said a word.

Rating: same pants 3 days in a row
hahaha, nice.

John Alston
12-18-2007, 07:14 AM
Fried bananas and eggs, milk/egg protein/fiber/creatine shake, prunes, fishoil.

Rating: don't put emergenC in your milk. Yech.

Yuen Sohn
12-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Backfilling Data:
Yesterday
coffee
holiday brownies

Rating: I forgot

Yuen Sohn
12-21-2007, 06:44 AM
2 eggs, sunnyside up
turkey bacon
plain yogurt
strawberries
pineapple
coffee
ummmm, more holiday brownies than I care to admit on a public forum devoted to performance, nutrition and health

Rating: A shout-out to Xuan Mai!

John Alston
12-21-2007, 07:18 AM
Leftover steak.
Some other crap.

Rating:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Canopy/2330/baboon.jpg

Yuen Sohn
12-22-2007, 04:11 PM
2 jumbo seasoned chicken sausages
2 eggs
A ton of mixed greens (expensive weeds) w/a touch of olive oil
Coffee

Rating: These shoes stink of something fierce!!

Yuen Sohn
12-27-2007, 07:36 AM
A NY strip steak
mixed baby greens/overpriced weeds
coffee

Rating: Curse this nasal discharge!

Yuen Sohn
12-28-2007, 07:49 AM
steak
an apple
an imaginary cup of coffee

Rating: Cats humping in the courtyard do not make for a good night's sleep.

John Alston
12-28-2007, 08:28 AM
12/28

Deli chicken and melon. Fishoil, etc.

Rating: Clinton Hill commute, good times. Good times.

Allen Yeh
12-29-2007, 03:11 PM
12/28

Deli chicken and melon. Fishoil, etc.

Rating: Clinton Hill commute, good times. Good times.

Bastardo! No LBH on Friday? I heard something about your gf coming back or something, sheesh! It was a fun night with some good skirt steak to top it off. I'll have to catch you next time.

John Alston
12-31-2007, 06:42 AM
Bastardo! No LBH on Friday? I heard something about your gf coming back or something, sheesh! It was a fun night with some good skirt steak to top it off. I'll have to catch you next time.

Yeah, gf back in town from 5 weeks in Amsterdam = no LBH this past weekend.
Next for sure! Glad you got the full lifting/skirt steak LBH experience.

John Alston
12-31-2007, 06:44 AM
Cajun turkey (deli style)
apples
almonds
fishoil
coffee

Rating: not as high carb as the homemade pancake, eggs and bacon breakfasts Saturday and Sunday.

Yuen Sohn
12-31-2007, 07:21 AM
A delicious and rare NY strip steak
Fresh pineapple
Coffee
Some Ferrero Rocher hazelnut balls

Rating:
“It is good to be solitary, for solitude is difficult; that something is difficult must be a reason the more for us to do it”

-Rainer Maria Rilke

Gittit Shwartz
01-01-2008, 03:10 PM
Coffee with cinnamon
probiotic pills
Majestic Purple juice from red cabbage, white cabbage, 1/4 green apple and ACV
A small handful of filberts
1/2 scoop whey
Water, water, water

Rating: a breakfast for handbalancing.

Yuen Sohn
01-02-2008, 07:02 AM
An onion BBQ angus burger (leftover from Monday)
Coffee

Rating: That damn pomegranate!

John Alston
01-02-2008, 08:00 AM
From the deli (wtf isn't the chicken out every morning?)...
Warm: keilbasa and plantains
Cold: melons and orange

From the office:
Whey/Egg protein mix in whole milk, fishoil, etc

From the street truck:
coffee.

Rating: too many sources.

Allen Yeh
01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
leftover oven-fried chicken + a lot of carrots w/ green tea to wash it down

Rating: Orange poo anyone?

John Alston
01-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Turkey, almonds, blue and black berries!
Aw yeah!
Some supps.
Coffee.

Rating:
* Blue angels: Only certain people have bacteria in the gastric systems that produce methane, Dr. Levitt says. And only methane-producers can perform the time-honoured frat house trick of igniting a blue flame when they hold a match to an escaping fart.
* Musical toots: In the 1800s Frenchman Joseph Pujol apparently became so adept at controlling his flatulence flow he could sound musical notes. Called "le Petomane'' _ the fartiste _ he was reputedly the highest paid performer in France at his prime.
* Colonic explosions: In the early days of colonoscopies, attempts to burn off polyps in the colon ignited explosive hydrogen gas in the colon of several unlucky people, sometimes with tragic results. The colon-cleansing preparations people now take the night before a colonoscopy have solved the problem. Says Levitt (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20071228/flatulence_expert_071228/20071228?hub=TopStories): "I've never heard of an explosion in someone who's had a decent prep. But until they used these prep solutions, there was a problem with explosions.''

Yuen Sohn
01-03-2008, 06:44 AM
A banana
Coffee

Rating: Not cold enough for me.

Sam Cannons
01-03-2008, 11:25 PM
6 grass feed eggs + 2 mushroom scrabble with a side of 7 pieces of asparagus, 2 cups of green tea, and a fig.

result- awesome.....awesome to the max

chris hill
01-04-2008, 03:33 AM
Fri 4th Jan. 2008

3 soft boiled eggs, 75g steak, spinach leaves

rating: if i had known there were awards to be had i would have been posting for months

John Alston
01-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Deli chicken chunks and black berries.
Small whey/egg shake.
Fishoil and others.

Rating: trying to get over the 1g protein/lb of bodyweight hump. It's hard!

Yael Grauer
01-04-2008, 09:26 AM
chicken and chicken broth
(what?! it'd been cooking all night. i had to try some!)

Allen Yeh
01-04-2008, 09:33 AM
All from Five Guys
-Bacon cheeseburger w/ onions, relish, lettuce, tomatos, ketchup, mustard and mushrooms (2 all beef patties)
-Beef cheese dog w/ relish, onions, ketchup and mustard
-Some Fries

Rating: Nightshades say what?

Yael Grauer
01-04-2008, 10:29 AM
rating: if i had known there were awards to be had i would have been posting for months

me too

John Alston
01-04-2008, 11:34 AM
me too

You're already a leader for the "Failed to Rate (http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24195&postcount=419) Tofu Sculpture" for 2008 nyark nyark!

Yael Grauer
01-04-2008, 11:37 AM
lol. i rated it, i just didn't write rating: beforehand so as not to underestimate the intelligence of my audience.

:p

Yuen Sohn
01-04-2008, 12:55 PM
No appetite this morning
Just coffee

Rating: The chocolate Santa on my desk is taunting me. You're goin' down motherf*cker!!

Yael Grauer
01-06-2008, 07:26 AM
water with crystal salt sole
coromega fish oil--orange with a hint of chocolate
two yummy organic eggs scrambled with some leftover chicken

rating: this sure beats the dove bars i had for breakfast yesterday

Yael Grauer
01-07-2008, 05:54 AM
water salt sole, smoothie, Coromega
smoothie: 1 tbsp BerryGreens, 1.5-ish cup raw milk, 1 banana.

rating: this actually doesn't taste half bad!! but i still don't want to go to work today

Allen Yeh
01-07-2008, 06:45 AM
2 chicken breakfast burritos, 1 sausage breakfast burrito
3 mini 3 musketeers
1 cup of nasty coffee

Rating: Living death.

Yuen Sohn
01-07-2008, 12:00 PM
-An organic spicy chicken sausage (I didn't buy them because they were "organic." I bought them because these were the biggest damn breakfast sausages in the meat section).
-Mixed field weeds
-A sweetie of a sweet potato

Rating: Yikes! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-Ke-WCnHtc

Yael Grauer
01-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Two egg-half avocado-leftover chicken scramble.

Rating: Pretty good but overshadowed by my deep feelings of not wanting to go to work today.

Yael Grauer
01-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Cold, leftover pizza which of course had wheat but was at least tomato, soy and cheese free.

Rating: I'm such a carb addict.

Yuen Sohn
01-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Just a lot of instant coffee (a.k.a. Satan's urine) from the machine at work for the past 2 days. F*cking Flavia machine...I wish I could quit you.

Rating: A squat snatch for a double: first rep from hang; second rep with charisma.

Allen Yeh
01-10-2008, 04:37 AM
Green tea

Rating: Trying to quit coffee, no coffee it's not your fault it's mine, no really.

John Alston
01-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Turkey, apple, peanutbutter the deadly legume, and some other crap.

Rating: Not enough food. So what I'm getting over a sick. So what? To quote a budding bastardo, "I don't know if I've ever heard of someone saying "I became a fat bastard" after coming back from a flu or some other comparable illness."

Yuen Sohn
01-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Rating: Not enough food. So what I'm getting over a sick. So what? To quote a budding bastardo, "I don't know if I've ever heard of someone saying "I became a fat bastard" after coming back from a flu or some other comparable illness."

That's damn right. There'd better be some sausage, avocado, vegetables and gravy on tomorrow's breakfast plate.

And cabbage too.

We've already got too many 77s.

John Alston
01-11-2008, 06:31 AM
Big effin' pork chop.
Half of a smaller pork chop (ate the other half last night).

Spoonfuls of wheat germ oil, fishoil... an emergenC and fiber shake.

Rating: Pork - eat it for life!

sarena kopciel
01-11-2008, 06:35 AM
Big effin' pork chop.
Half of a smaller pork chop (ate the other half last night).

Spoonfuls of wheat germ oil, fishoil... an emergenC and fiber shake.

Rating: Pork - eat it for life!

Nice, best of luck with FDU meet!

Yael Grauer
01-11-2008, 06:40 AM
two eggs, two slices turkey bacon, fish oil
rating: i don't know about this turkey bacon thing

Yuen Sohn
01-11-2008, 07:16 AM
Rushed morning.

2 glasses of half-and-half from the company fridge.
Coffee.

Rating: The killer robot dream I had last night was really frightening.

Ben Blosch
01-11-2008, 07:46 AM
5 omega-3 eggs
1 can salmon
1/4 big avocado

Rating: My co-workers are lucky it's Friday. Before today's casual Friday, my pants were on a 4-day streak.

John Alston
01-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Nice, best of luck with FDU meet!
Thanks, but I am out sick like a chump. JERSEY...

Yuen Sohn
01-11-2008, 09:34 AM
Rating: My co-workers are lucky it's Friday. Before today's casual Friday, my pants were on a 4-day streak.

Hahaha.

Come to think of it, I went 5 for 5 this week.

Yael Grauer
01-13-2008, 10:23 AM
Three eggs and three slices turkey bacon.
Rating: Pretty good! I'm gonna go hike Pima Canyon with my added energy from a nutritious breakfast. Also, it sure beats the crappy soup I made last night from weird root veggies like turnips, rutabaga, parsnips, etc. I'm not sure Full Moon Feat is a good cookbook.

Yael Grauer
01-14-2008, 06:33 AM
smoothie with raw milk, raw egg, Berrygreens, banana
rating: yumminess!

John Alston
01-14-2008, 06:56 AM
Broccoli and leftover ground lamb fried up in vbutter, then 3 large eggs cracked over that. Then mexican cheese and tomatillo salsa.
Plus a whole milk protein shake.
Plus coffee.
Plus whole wheat toast fried in butter.
Plus spoonfuls of fishoil and wheat germ oil.

Rating: slightly mantritious (http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29618).

Yael Grauer
01-15-2008, 05:49 PM
fresh pineapple, good good coffee, some random pastries
rating: not bad for a $90,000/yr country club in Scottsdale

John Alston
01-16-2008, 06:43 AM
Deli chicken breasts and berries.

Rating: not so strong. In need of fat. Big time.

Allen Yeh
01-16-2008, 08:54 AM
TJ's Chicken breakfast sausge, blueberries, and pineapple

Rating: Oops forgot to take my fish oil.

Dave Paton
01-17-2008, 06:20 AM
Yael,

"Raw Milk"???? Is this different than normal milk I buy at the store?

Yael Grauer
01-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Yael,

"Raw Milk"???? Is this different than normal milk I buy at the store?

Yes, your milk is pasteurized and mine is raw; see realmilk.org.

Derek Simonds
01-17-2008, 08:03 AM
After reading about mantrition courtesy of John

leftover sausage and potatoes fried up with lots of butter then covered with 4 brown eggs served with hot sauce.

Washed it all down with my PWO glutamine and a diet coke.

Rating: Well it was mantritious

Allen Yeh
01-17-2008, 08:21 AM
Chicken w/ pesto, pine nuts olive oil and parmesean cheese + steamed broccoli + coromega packet

Rating: Bland but basic.

John Alston
01-18-2008, 06:22 AM
Coffee.

I'm IFing.

Rating: Small Black Love.

Yael Grauer
01-18-2008, 08:42 AM
some leftover bison burgers and eggs
rating: yuck

Derek Simonds
01-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Coffee.

I'm IFing.

Rating: Small Black Love.

I am glad that you are still able to post your breakfast. :D

Still working on John's mantrition post so:

Lot's of butter, broccoli, leftover sausage and potato's, 4 eggs all in one huge skillet.

Rating: I am stuffed

Ben Blosch
01-18-2008, 11:15 AM
4 FRIED Omega-3 eggs (I'm reading Protein Power Lifeplan and Dr. Eades says scrambled is bad. We'll see how long this lasts)
3 ounces of turkey sausage
1 orange

Rating: I miss Yoon.

Yael Grauer
01-21-2008, 12:05 PM
chicken-avocado-swiss omelet with potatoes and ketchup and whole wheat raisin toast with jam

rating: every meal is a cheat meal

Allen Yeh
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Chicken w/ pesto, pine nuts olive oil and parmesean cheese + steamed broccoli + coromega packet

Rating: Bland but basic.

Reloaded minus the coromega packet...and the chicken tasted kind of weird.

Yael Grauer
01-22-2008, 06:05 AM
Regular morning ritual of water with 1 tsp salt sole, one packet orange with a hint of chocolate Coromega, too many homeopathic droppers and 5 tiny tablets of Bioplasma. Leftover blender full of smoothie, which I made with three raw eggs, two bananas, two tablespoons of BerryGreen and 2 cups (or was it 4 cups) raw milk. I had to take the foam out after it sat in the fridge.

Rating: My boyfriend said this smoothie would taste better with honey and crushed ice. And what's with the foam?

John Alston
01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Coffee.

Rating: Good velocity.

Derek Simonds
01-22-2008, 07:06 AM
broccoli, cauliflower, ham, sauteed with three brown eggs (not scrambled) over the top, 1/2 of a leftover sweet potato fried in butter

Rating: Crunchy outside gooey inside

John Alston
01-23-2008, 06:35 AM
3 omega 3 free range eggs with tomatillo salsa and mexi-cheese
1 scoop pro-blend 55
1 large navel orange
sups and stuff

Rating: them eggs is good eggs!

Yael Grauer
01-23-2008, 07:18 AM
I had some beef broth with sweet potato stuff (what?? it was cooking all night) and, um...Coromega... No coffee.

Rating: I need more quick morning foods other than smoothies, apparently.

John Alston
01-23-2008, 08:01 AM
I had some beef broth with sweet potato stuff (what?? it was cooking all night) and, um...Coromega... No coffee.

Rating: I need more quick morning foods other than smoothies, apparently.

What about that beef?

Chris Forbis
01-23-2008, 04:48 PM
4 omega-3 eggs fried in some coconut oil
1 avocado

Rating: Needed a piece of Ezekial bread to mop up the yolk afterwards...

Allen Yeh
01-24-2008, 04:54 AM
bag of teriyaki beef jerky + carrots + leftover chicken

Rating: Didn't feel like IF'ing today, I need a nap and it's not even 8 AM.

Yuen Sohn
01-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Dear Diary,
Today I just had an extra large cup of coffee.

Rating: "I think that it was I who knew our Gargantua the best..."

Yael Grauer
01-24-2008, 07:04 AM
What about that beef?

I used soup bones.

Today: 1 raw egg/2 cups raw milk/1 banana/BerryGreens/crushed ice smoothie

Rating: Wow, the crushed ice really did make it taste better! (He's always right.)

John Alston
01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
3 egg scramble with mexicheese and tomatillo salsa.
1 scoop problend 55 shake.
Big navel orange.
Supps are: a spoonful of fish oil, 1 of wheat germ oil
liver tabs, vitamin

Rating: as training ramps back up to full levels, getting my 180g of protein a day (~1g/lb of bodyweight) is my goal. Breakfast estimate: ~40g

Yael Grauer
01-25-2008, 06:26 AM
one Trader Joe's Angus grassed beef burger

rating: who ever heard of hamburger for breakfast? but it hit the spot, so...

Ben Blosch
01-25-2008, 07:18 AM
I figured it out; it came to me last night laying in bed. You know, that special time when you're not thinking about anything, but your best ideas just come to you because it's quiet and nothing else is going on.

The last few days I've been frying my eggs for breakfast since Dr. Eades says that scrambling them exposes the yokes to air and heat which oxidizes them, or something. In doing so I'm left with a puddle of yoke after I eat, you know that puddle that was so lovingly lapped up by a crisp piece of toast in your former life, but is now discarded since sausage doesn’t do so well sponging it up.

The answer:
Lettuce.

I made a big fried egg salad. The yoke acts as the dressing, it's AMAZING.

Breakfast:
4 omega-3 fried eggs
2 cups salad mix
1 can wild salmon

Rating: The best way I've started a Friday in a long time.

Tirzah Harper
01-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Ben - I LOVE coddled eggs (somewhere between a soft boil and a hard boil - about eight minutes in barely-boiling water) on spinach salad with sauteed onions. I'll have to try the fried-egg variation and add salmon! Yolk is a great dressing IMO.

John Alston
01-25-2008, 09:19 AM
one Trader Joe's Angus grassed beef burger

rating: who ever heard of hamburger for breakfast? but it hit the spot, so...

I think you could find some burger, ground beef, organ meet and the like in this log if you look for it...

nice work.

Yael Grauer
01-26-2008, 06:13 AM
I think you could find some burger, ground beef, organ meet and the like in this log if you look for it...

nice work.

Thanks! I want to go to an organ meet. :D

Two clean eggs and two strips turkey bacon.

Rating: Somebody needs to send me some recipes or something.

Chris Forbis
01-26-2008, 07:24 AM
1.5 breasts of leftover chicken (baked, breaded in almond flour w/ a butter sauce) and 1 apple

Ratings: Almost just as good cold the next morning...

Yael Grauer
01-27-2008, 08:58 AM
one chocolate chip cookie covered in Belgian milk chocolate
a bunch of little milk chocolate balls

rating: damn belated christmas presents!

Chris Forbis
01-27-2008, 11:05 AM
4 omega-3 eggs, sunny-side up
1 leftover chicken breast
1 apple

Rating: Soaked up the egg yolks the paleo way... with meat.

Yael Grauer
01-28-2008, 06:02 AM
leftover *bite* of burger

rating: behind on life

Yael Grauer
01-29-2008, 06:15 AM
one cold leftover buffalo burger

rating: better than nothing

John Alston
01-29-2008, 06:28 AM
Muscle Milk - 32g of protein sized drink box.

navel orange

Rating: wtf.
Also, the drink box? why don't we call those protein shakes pre-mixed "drink boxes" like the "juices" we drank as kids? Probably because they're gross and shouldn't be had.

Yael Grauer
01-30-2008, 05:48 AM
chicken in a crockpot (with onions and carrots and celery and little else), which will probably be my lunch and dinner as well. oh and a peach.

rating: oh my god this is so good

John Alston
01-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Deli chicken, berries, that stuff.

Rating: why can't they get their butts in gear and get the avocado/guac out by breakfast time?

Yuen Sohn
01-30-2008, 08:17 AM
A NY strip steak (overcooked)
The most charismatic avocado I've ever met

Rating: I'd like to grab a slice of the lucrative post-workout recovery drink market. Unlike those other concoctions, MY proposed formula will be unstoppable (hint: think low-sodium, grassfed Black Angus bull semen with organic vanilla extract).

Yael Grauer
01-30-2008, 10:57 AM
Rating: I'd like to grab a slice of the lucrative post-workout recovery drink market. Unlike those other concoctions, MY proposed formula will be unstoppable (hint: think low-sodium, grassfed Black Angus bull semen with organic vanilla extract).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrPIRYhdnqs

Yuen Sohn
01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrPIRYhdnqs

That's a relief! For a second there, I thought someone had already run to the bank with my special formula.

Chris Forbis
01-31-2008, 02:05 AM
That's a relief! For a second there, I thought someone had already run to the bank with my special formula.

I can't get enough of those Powerthirst and Brawndo commercials...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-3qncy5Qfk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tbxq0IDqD04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxieMOdo6IU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru6p5NLXxvY

Yael Grauer
01-31-2008, 05:08 AM
Can't wait to look at those vids. :)

My breakfast was some cold chicken and Wobenzym.
Rating: Too damn early.

Ben Blosch
01-31-2008, 07:01 AM
4 sunny-side up omega-3 eggs
2 cups lettuce
1 can salmon

Rating: I finally got to use the food processor I received for Christmas last night. It's amazing how fast 4 ounces of cashews go down when it's in butter form.

Yuen Sohn
01-31-2008, 07:22 AM
Berries
Scrambled eggs
A link or two of sausage
Some crispy-assed bacon
A tiny pancake or two
Coffee

Rating: There Will Not Be Blood. There Will Be Guacamole.

And a shoutout to Kara, Kimm and Jeremy!

Yael Grauer
02-01-2008, 05:56 AM
the rest of the Dove bar that was generously gifted to me yesterday

rating: must go grocery shopping. must go grocery shopping.

(at least I get an A for honesty?)

sarena kopciel
02-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Yummy sauteed chicken livers with lots of onions and garlic in coconut oil and EVOO!! On a bed of mixed greens. An apricot and some homemade mixed nut butter!

Rating: Life's pleasures are simple yet complex!

Chris Forbis
02-02-2008, 04:05 AM
Leftover chicken breast and an apple.

Rating: Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Yael Grauer
02-02-2008, 09:19 AM
went out for breakfast and got the same ol' omelet with chicken and avo and swiss that I always get, except no OJ this time, but I did eat the potatoes. but no whole wheat raisin toast and no jam and no ketchup

Rating: some improvement?

Yael Grauer
02-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Two Omega-3 eggs with broccoli, a little raw cheese (warmed up) and a really yummy chicken apple sausage. Oh and half a tangello.

Rating: I eat so much better when I'm cooking for someone else.

sarena kopciel
02-04-2008, 07:46 AM
broccoli slaw sauteed in olive oil with 2 omega 3 eggs, some flax and hemp seeds and tehina! A mini Bio-K for dessert (1st time with this)

Rating: IFing just didn't feel right this morning!

Chris Forbis
02-04-2008, 02:44 PM
4 omega-3 eggs sunny side up, an avocado, and an apple

rating: It's easier to skip breakfast and lunch than just lunch....

chris hill
02-05-2008, 05:48 AM
whey, flax, cmh & milk

rating: it really doesnt get any worse

John Alston
02-05-2008, 05:53 AM
steak and bananas.

Rating: not as good as steak and eggs, or steak and avocado.

Allen Yeh
02-05-2008, 05:54 AM
Green tea x 2

Rating: Back to the IF'ing....

Yael Grauer
02-05-2008, 06:06 AM
cold chicken and an apple

rating: warrior diet is really tempting right now

Yuen Sohn
02-05-2008, 02:06 PM
2 cups of Satan's urine

Rating: A hang power snatch...with a twist of lemon