PDA

View Full Version : Eggs

Bill Ripley
05-22-2007, 01:11 PM
What's the word on eggs these days? Good? Bad? Especially for someone with borderline chorlestoral issues.

Mike ODonnell
05-22-2007, 01:20 PM
Organic Omega 3 eggs good....don't believe that whole eggs give you cholesterol myth...especially since the body manufacturers 85% of it.....

Bill Ripley
05-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah, that's what we eat. I agree with you on the myth and eat a boat load of them, just making sure there is not any new info out there I am not aware of.

Dave Van Skike
05-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Organic Omega 3 eggs good....don't believe that whole eggs give you cholesterol myth...especially since the body manufacturers 85% of it.....

Not that they don't taste better, they totally do..but I thought the omega three's lost something in the cooking process? No worries if you drink them Rocky I style of course.

Am I way off?

Garrett Smith
05-22-2007, 04:46 PM
Cooking EPA and DHA (found in high O-3 eggs) is not the best thing to do...

I eat 95% of my whole eggs raw, mixed into my egg/pineapple/glandular powder smoothie. Cooked eggs give me horrible sulfurous gas...

Robert Allison
05-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Cooking EPA and DHA (found in high O-3 eggs) is not the best thing to do...

I eat 95% of my whole eggs raw, mixed into my egg/pineapple/glandular powder smoothie. Cooked eggs give me horrible sulfurous gas...

"Note to self--never make an omelette for Garrett..." ;)

I eat eggs cooked sometimes, but I probably eat them raw more often (in smoothies).

Mike ODonnell
05-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Not that they don't taste better, they totally do..but I thought the omega three's lost something in the cooking process? No worries if you drink them Rocky I style of course.

Am I way off?

Yeah anytime you heat EFAs you have the possibility of compromising them...so cook your eggs slow heat....also they are better than the other grain fed chickens which would have a higher percentage of omega 6 proinflammatory acids in them....so just for the sake of not having more omega 6 I would stick with the omega 3 version...but still get most of your EFAs through fish oil...

Robert Allison
05-22-2007, 07:26 PM
so just for the sake of not having more omega 6 I would stick with the omega 3 version...but still get most of your EFAs through fish oil...

Good point. From what I understand, even the "high" omega-3 eggs have relatively low levels, compared to cod liver and other fish oils. But still, a much better choice (for many reasons) than conventional eggs.

There are a number of foods now coming out that are "fortified" with omega-3s. One of the big trends right now in the natural products industry is what is being called "functional" foods--adding ingredients that have health benefits to everyday foods. It is often more about marketing than anything else.

Mike ODonnell
05-22-2007, 08:10 PM
the more animals that are fed grains from flaxseeds to give omega3s and the less from omega 6 forming grains like corn....the less AA spillover from your diet (which is predominant in animal fat) and the improvement of 6-3 EFA ratio, less inflammation and improved overall health.....a win win...

Garrett Smith
05-23-2007, 07:10 AM
If I do cook eggs, which is rare these days, I cook them over easy or sunny-side up so that the yolk (with its delicate fatty acids and other components) is heated as little as possible.

Brad Hirakawa
05-23-2007, 07:38 AM
I've wondered about that...

For runny yolk - sunny side up: Should we cook as fast as possible over high heat or cook slowly over low heat. Wonder which would preserve the good stuff in the yolk better?

Mike ODonnell
05-23-2007, 11:54 AM
lower heat....temp is what destroys EFA structure...not really the duration of it...so even if shorter period of time, high heat has already done the damage....of course not an exact science...

Garrett Smith
05-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Low and slow, just like cooking grassfed beef...

Craig Cooper
05-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Garrett, thanks for the reminder, I've been cooking my eggs fast and high, not even thinking about damaging the n-3s. Also, buying organic, omega-3 infused eggs isn't that much better than buying conventional eggs. The chickens are still fed grain, it's just organic grain. They are still raised indoors or in cages. Even "Free Range" eggs that you find in the supermarket are just given "access to pasture" which means that there's a small door in the pen that leads to a small patch of grass (they don't ever use it. They are raised indoors, so they have no desire to go outside). The only way to ensure that the chickens that laid the eggs you want to eat roamed free and ate grass and bugs is to get them direct from a farmer or a farmer's market.