PDA

View Full Version : Plant Sterol supplements

Chris Lampe
05-22-2007, 06:26 PM
In "The South Beach Heart Plan", Dr. Agatson recommends three supplements: Fish oil, fiber, and plant sterols. I currently use Carlson's fish oil and metamucil as supplements and am interested in adding a plant sterol supplement. Can anyone recommend a good brand? I got the Carlson's recommendation from another website and have been very happy with it. I'm looking for a similarly high quality sterol supplement.

Thanks!

Robert Allison
05-22-2007, 06:58 PM
Carlson also has a plant sterol product:

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=c1fd7e32

Plant sterols are generally recommended for lowering cholesterol, but I tend to think that cholesterol is not the bogey man it is often made out to be. But Carlson generally has good products, so you may want to check it out if that is a concern for you.

Garrett Smith
05-23-2007, 07:13 AM
Chris,
First thing, I'd say get on a better fiber supp than the Metamucil. Hemp protein will give you great fiber (14g per serving!) along with some protein to boot (11g per serving) without any of the crappy ingredients of the Metamucil...I'm specifically talking about the Nutiva brand.

Moducare is a highly spoken of plant sterol/sterolin product, I'd also guess that Carlson's is pretty good as well.

Brad Hirakawa
05-23-2007, 07:36 AM
Dr. G.

Is the Hemp protein safe for gluten sensitive folks?

Thanks!
Brad

Chris Lampe
05-23-2007, 11:02 AM
Carlson also has a plant sterol product:

http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=c1fd7e32

Plant sterols are generally recommended for lowering cholesterol, but I tend to think that cholesterol is not the bogey man it is often made out to be. But Carlson generally has good products, so you may want to check it out if that is a concern for you.

Thanks for the tips!

I have several risk factors for heart disease and fortunately, high cholesterol isn't one of them. My LDL is in the "normal" range but it's high normal and Dr. Agatston states that plant sterols specifically lower LDL so it's just a little more insurance.

Garrett Smith
05-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Brad,
The Nutiva Hemp Protein is gluten-free, and it's a seed, so it's also relatively Paleo friendly.

Brad Hirakawa
05-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Doc,

I can't find much info on hemp protein, other than the typical sales-internet stuff.

Does it get your seal of approval?

Brad

Don Stevenson
06-13-2007, 06:40 PM
I used to work with plant sterols and was going to write about how minimally effective plant sterols were for people already consuming a low cholesterol diet but it turns out that new research shows otherwise!

Garrett Smith
06-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Brad,
I take hemp protein on my feed mornings and recommend it to patients, so it does get my stamp of approval.

I'll get my plant sterols from plants. What a concept.

Imagine this--people don't eat their veggies (hence no plant sterols in the diet). They replace the plant sterols in a pill, and good things happen with their health! Same thing as with fiber, vitamins, minerals, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Eat your veggies. Lots and lots of them.