PDA

View Full Version : The Agony and the Ecstasy

Daniel Myers
05-29-2007, 09:00 PM
I've decided to make a training log to build up some credibility and pad my post count. Here's the relative statistics:

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 180-185
Fat: 10-15%

I spent the first part of this year focusing on weight gain and went from 170 to about 185. Now I'm getting a little leaner with the goal of being a lean and mean 180.

Goals: Get stronger on the basic movements. I'll be doing my first powerlifting meet in September, so my focus is on the squat, bench, and deadlift, with some assistance lifts and conditioning thrown in. I'm not brutally strong yet, but I've made some solid progress since making strength training my priority last year, and I'm pleased with the way things are going.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments you have.

Daniel Myers
05-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Tuesday 5/29/2007

I usually start with 5 minutes of easy cardio, just to get the blood flowing, but I didn't today because I was afraid the guys from the high school football team were going to show up and take my squat rack.

Joint Mobility:
- head forward and back
- head side-to-side
- looking left and right
- head circles, both directions
- shoulder shrugs, forwards and backwards
- single arm circles, forwards and backwards
- double arm circles, forwards and backwards
- arm hugs
- spinal twists, left and right
- marching in place
- hip circles, both directions
- knee circles, both directions
- wrists, fingers, and ankles

- 10 of each movement for each direction and side

- If you know any good moves I should be doing here, let me know

Squat: 280x8x2
- I do some warm-up sets too, but I don't usually record them

One-arm DB press: 55x8x2 x each arm
- This went up easy, try 60 next week

Tabata thrusters: 45x8x8
- I used the Dan John variation, 8x8 with 10 seconds rest

Barbell side bends: 45x5 95x5 115x5
- had more in me, but I couldn't balance the bar
- use a different barbell with knurling in the center next time

Straight-leg situps: 50

Allen Yeh
05-30-2007, 03:58 AM
I've decided to make a training log to build up some credibility and pad my post count. Here's the relative statistics:

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 180-185
Fat: 10-15%

I spent the first part of this year focusing on weight gain and went from 170 to about 185. Now I'm getting a little leaner with the goal of being a lean and mean 180.

Goals: Get stronger on the basic movements. I'll be doing my first powerlifting meet in September, so my focus is on the squat, bench, and deadlift, with some assistance lifts and conditioning thrown in. I'm not brutally strong yet, but I've made some solid progress since making strength training my priority last year, and I'm pleased with the way things are going.

Please feel free to post any questions or comments you have.

What will you be shooting for at the meet?

Daniel Myers
05-30-2007, 06:07 AM
My goal is to total 1000. That's a little on the optimistic side, but it's a nice round number.

Allen Yeh
05-30-2007, 06:43 AM
My goal is to total 1000. That's a little on the optimistic side, but it's a nice round number.

Cool, what do your numbers look like right now?

Daniel Myers
05-30-2007, 08:02 AM
I haven't done a true max in a long time -- like over a year -- but based on my recent workouts, I'd estimate somewhere around 315-225-400. That's a 940 total, with the real value probably +/- 15 pounds from that. I still have 12 weeks to get prepared, and I've been seeing some good gains recently, so I think getting in the upper 900s is very realistic, with 1000 being a more ambitious goal to keep me focused.

I don't have any meet experience, so I'll have to adapt to the challenge of doing my lifts on someone else's schedule, picking openers, etc., but that's part of the fun.

Just for the record, I do all my lifting totally raw (not even a belt, since I don't own one), and that's how I'll lift in the competition.

Daniel Myers
05-30-2007, 06:18 PM
Wednesday 5/30/2007

Walk 1.25 miles carrying two 25 pound plates.

The plates are the kind with wedges cut out of the center, so you can easily hold them by the rims. I had to stop once for a shoelace and once to get rid of a fly, but didn't need any breaks for my grip or shoulders, which was a little bit surprising. I've done this walk with one plate before, and that's pretty easy, but this was the first time I've tried two.

I'm a big fan of the paleo/evolutionary fitness concept, and I find it consistently interesting that every paleo "guru" has his own ideas about how you should exercise.

Art De Vany is all about short high-intensity workouts, and he uses a lot of machines in his routines.

Frank Forencich (Go Animal) talks a lot about playing, and how exercise should be natural and fun.

I have my own ideas -- different from both De Vany and Forencich -- that are mostly theoretical at this point, since I haven't really had time to test them on myself. I'll be happy to share my thoughts if anyone is interested.

The one thing all paleo guys agree on is that cavemen walked a lot, and they usually did it carrying some non-trivial weight. This is a very roundabout way of saying that I decided to mix in the occasional weighted walk because of my paleo interests. I'm not sure how often I want to do this, since this kind of load bearing can be hard on the joints. Probably no more than once a week, increasing the distance or load very gradually.

We are each an experiment, and every workout is another data point.

Daniel Myers
05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Thursday 5/31/2007

Warm-Up:
- 5 minutes on the elliptical machine
- Joint mobility

Bench:205x8x2
- Last few reps went up fine, but were a little slow
- Probably cycle back down next week and start buiding back up
- I battled tendonitis for 6 months, so I don't want to push it too hard

Bent-Over Row: 185x4x4
- For some reason, I don't do 8x2 on these

Conditioning:
- C&J, 100x8
- 1 pullup
- C&J, 100x7
- 2 pullups
- repeat this pattern until you do one C&J and eight pullups

- Based on a recent WOD
- I did the pullups strict and used a short barbell for the lifts
- Less weight would have made for better metcon
- Just went for completion and hard effort, so no time

Sit-up with bar behind head: 45x2x3
- These are hard as hell, like a total torso destroyer
- I anchor the feet, so there's a lot of hip flexor and stabilizer involvement

Regular sit-up: 50

Daniel Myers
06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Friday 6/1/2007

Walk 1.25 miles. No weight this time. Just a stroll with my wife before dinner.

I'm pretty sore from the last few days, especially in my tree-swinging traps and middle back. Probably do some easy stretching and rolling later tonight.

Daniel Myers
06-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Saturday 6/2/2007

Felt a little stiff this AM, but it worked itself out once I got up and got moving.

Warm-Up: 5 minute treadmill walk, then joint mobility

Deadlift: 355x8x2
- I pause, step away from the bar, and reset for each rep

Weighted Pullup: 45x8x2
- Stay at this weight for at least one more week

Heavyhands walk on treadmill
- 10# DBs, 5% incline, 4 mph, 10 minutes
- alternate curls, curl and press, and quick snatches

Standing ab pullovers: 100x10 110x10
- This is a WSB exercise done on a cable machine
- Stand, hold the bar behind your head, and bend at the waist
- I was in a hurry to leave, so I cut this exercise short

This was my second week with 355 on the deadlift, and everything went up just fine. That said, I think I'll try 360x10x1 for next week. Now that the weights are getting a little heavy, 8x2 is almost too much volume for deadlifts. Ten total reps should still be enough to give a good stimulus.

Dave Van Skike
06-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Maybe late to the party on this but if no one has suggested it yet, take a look at Practical programming. Your numbers and physical stats, (I'm a wee bit taller and fatter) are similar to mine, I've had great luck with the Texas method written up by Rip in the aforementioned book. My log tracks a slightly modified approach.

You can google it for the basics, madcow's page also has a good write up about some 5x5p programs.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Daniel Myers
06-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Thanks, Dave. I've heard so many good things about Practical Programming I really ought to pick up a copy.

I used 5x5 for almost all of last year, including the Texas method, though I didn't know it by that name. At the start of last year, I had just finished graduate school, and I'd lost my focus and a lot of my strength (which wasn't that great to begin with). I decided it was time to quit screwing around and actually get strong, so I looked on the internets and found a routine by some dude named Bill Starr. It was a basic version of the Texas method, with squat, bench, and power clean. It was very similar to the Madcow routine you linked, with a little more assistance work.

I stayed with 5x5 until I finally just got burned out doing fives and decided to try other schemes. It worked well, though, so I'm sure I'll return to it eventually.

Dave Van Skike
06-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Dave. I've heard so many good things about Practical Programming I really ought to pick up a copy.

I used 5x5 for almost all of last year, including the Texas method, though I didn't know it by that name. At the start of last year, I had just finished graduate school, and I'd lost my focus and a lot of my strength (which wasn't that great to begin with). I decided it was time to quit screwing around and actually get strong, so I looked on the internets and found a routine by some dude named Bill Starr. It was a basic version of the Texas method, with squat, bench, and power clean. It was very similar to the Madcow routine you linked, with a little more assistance work.

I stayed with 5x5 until I finally just got burned out doing fives and decided to try other schemes. It worked well, though, so I'm sure I'll return to it eventually.

good to hear it. You might look into ladders, several folks on this board and over at P&B have used them in lieu of 5's to allow higher percentages and to avoid burnout.

Good luck to you.

Daniel Myers
06-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Tuesday 6/5/2007

Get Warm

Squat: 285x6x2
- failed on the last rep

One-arm DB press: 60x8x2 x each arm
- stay at this weight for next week

Full squats: 135x30/20/10
- done as a conditioning exercise
- about a minute between each set

Twisting sit-up: 25 x each side + 20 x right side
- Trying a few extra reps for the right side to correct an aesthetic imbalance

Failing on the squats was a little disappointing, but I'm feeling like I've reached the end of a cycle and its time to dial it back down. I really wanted to work up to 300 pounds by the end of the month, but right now I'm more concerned with making steady progress and especially avoiding injuries. I estimate that 285 is about 90% of my max, so I can drop 20 or 30 pounds and still be at a good productive load.

I started my current cycle in mid-April with 250x8x2 and added 5 pounds per week, so I really can't complain about my progress for this round. I just have a tendency to be greedy with my poundages, and I have to learn the hard way that slow and steady is how you add weight.

I decided to do the high rep squats after suggesting them to Yael in her log. I didn't really have a set goal in mind, I just threw 135 on, stepped back, and started squatting. They were too light to really be classic breathing squats -- where you take several deep breaths between each rep -- but it was still pretty damn hard. I haven't squatted high reps above ten in a while, and I was surprised by the effect I felt in my upper body from staying tight and supporting the bar. There's probably an article to be written on a "Squats and Squats Alone" workout.

I bet I could sell that one to T-Nation.

Daniel Myers
06-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Thursday 6/7/2007

Warm-up: 5 minutes on elliptical machine and mobility

Bench Press: 185x8x2
- Drop in weight from last week
- Felt nice and easy

Bent-Over Row: 185x4x4
- Move this up next week

DB Hammer Curl: 40x8x2 x each arm

Circuit, 10 Rounds:
- 10 Dips
- 10 Jumps
- 10 sit-ups

DB Side Bends: 120x3x5 x each side

Daniel Myers
06-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Saturday 6/9/2007

Get Warm

Deadlift: 360x10x1
- Fairly easy, a drop in total volume from last week
- Working on keeping the back flat and arched during the pull

Pullup: 45x8x2
- Also easy
- Stay at 45 for one more week, then move up

Standing Ab Pullovers: 200x3x10
- Used a double pulley machine, so it felt more like 100

Twisting Sit-Up: 25x right side

Obliques and lower back were pretty sore from the side bends on Thursday.

I didn't do any conditioning work because I wanted to take it easier this week. Been feeling a little stiffness in the shoulder and elbows, but nothing serious. I think I can get a few more weeks on this deadlift cycle before I drop the weight back down. I may try 370x10x1 next week. Adding 10 pounds is closer to the 2.5% increase that I've seen recommended, but I don't want to get greedy.

Daniel Myers
06-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Tuesday 6/12/2007

Joint Mobility

Squat: 265x8x2

One-Arm DB Press: 55x5x3
- Tried 60, but just wasn't feeling it
- Add a small chain to the 55 to get ~57.5 next week

Tabata-style Front Squats: 75x8x8
- Less weight than the last time, but I went deeper and faster

Twisting Sit-Up: 25 x right side

Daniel Myers
06-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Thursday 6/14/2007

Warm Up

Bench Press: 190x8x2
- felt good and strong
- stayed tight and stable for the whole lift

Bent-Over Row: 165x3x8
- just decided to do higher reps this week

DB Hammer Curl: 45x8x2 x each arm
- felt strong on this one too
- stay at 45 for a few more weeks

Sit-Up: 45x3x5

Twisting Sit-Up: 25 x right side

Overall, a solid session. Tuesday's workout was a little blah, so I was pleased to show up and kill some good weights. Also, I feel that my bench technique is coming together. I need to focus on lowering the bar under control, and then pushing up hard and evenly with both arms, while keeping the shoulders tight.

I only started seriously benching last year, and then immediately got shoulder tendonitis. I started working the bench again back in March, with a focus on staying tight, keeping the shoulder blades together, and building the weight up gradually. That's finally starting to pay off, and I'm currently the strongest I've ever been on the movement.

Daniel Myers
06-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Saturday 6/16/2007

On vacation in Durango, CO. My wife ran the Steamworks Animas Valley half marathon, and I tagged along. The runners met at a local sports club, went by bus to the starting line, and then ran back to the club. I stayed and did my session while she ran. I had a lot of time, so this was a very leisurely paced workout -- took about two hours total.

Warm Up and Joint Mobility

Deadlift: 365x1 385x1 405x1
- 405 is a new PR, and my first deadlift over 400
- finished with some reps at 315 with a hook grip

Pull-ups: 45x8x2
- move up to 50 next week

Row 5000 meters

Side Bends: 110x2x8 x each side

Twisting Sit-Up: 3x10x each side + 10 x right side

I didn't plan for this to be a max effort deadlift day, but I pulled 365 and it felt good, so I decided to try some heavier singles. At the beginning of the year, I set a 400 pound deadlift as one of my major goals -- I've now achieved it. If anything, I might have been good for a little more.

After the max, I tried some easier reps at 315 with a hook grip. I'm a little concerned about the slight spinal displacement you get from a mixed grip. No serious problems, but the hook grip might be the better choice as I move into higher weights. Does anybody have tips on transitioning from the mixed grip to a hook?

All in all, an excellent session. Gives me confidence about how I've been training for the past few months, and sets me up for the new cycle I'm starting.

Daniel Myers
06-19-2007, 08:14 PM
Tuesday 6/19/2007

Warm Up

Squat: 270x5x2 225x10
- felt a little hip pain, so I terminated this early
- repeat 270 next week

One-Arm DB Press: 55x8x2 x each arm

Circuit:
- 5 pullups
- 10 jumps
- 15 situps
- 8 rounds

- took about 10 minutes

The circuit took care of my abs for today.

Daniel Myers
06-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Thursday 6/21/2007

Warm Up

Bench Press: 195x8x2

Body Row: 3x10

Tuck Front Lever: 5 holds as long as possible
- got about 10-15 seconds per each hold
- no trouble levering into position
- this is the second time I've tried these

DB Hammer Curls: 45x8x2 x each arm
-try 50 next week

HeavyHands walk on treadmill:
- 7% grade
- 4 mph pace
- 12 pound DBs

L-Sits: 5 holds as long as possible
- these are hard
- my hip flexors are weak
- must get stronger

Daniel Myers
06-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Saturday 6/23/2007

Had a muscle spasm in the area of my left shoulder blade. Arching my back was a little painful, so I decided not to deadlift. Now that it's Sunday morning, everything is back to normal.

Warm Up
- I've been adding in the foot drills Garrett posted on another thread

Pull-ups: 50x8x2
- stay at 50 for a couple more weeks

Handstand practice against the wall
- my new goal is to do a press to handstand
- first I must learn how to do a handstand
- need a lot more practice, but I'm now comfortable being upside down

Tabata stuff:
- thrusters: 65x8x8
- bodyweight squats: 8 rounds of 20/10

Sit-Ups: 60

Daniel Myers
06-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Tuesday 6/26/2007

Warm

Squat: 275x6x2 225x10
- tried a slightly narrower stance, which felt more natural

Barbell Overhead Press: 115x5x3
- try 120x8x2 next week

Sprints: 6x100m

Straight Leg Sit-Ups: 60

Overhead pressing is by far my weakest, lamest lift. There's no reason for this. I just don't press enough. I need to get serious and start working the press like it matters. My short term goal is to get to 135, then 150. Longer term, I need to get 185 overhead for a nice bodyweight press (a little more than bodyweight, actually).

Daniel Myers
06-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Thursday 6/26/2007

Warm-Up Joints and Muscles and Feets

Bench: 200x6x2 165x9, 2
- the back off set with 185 was done rest-pause style
- definitely feels stronger than the last time I did 200

Body Rows: 3x10

Front Lever: 5 holds
- tuck position feels pretty good
- working on extending the legs to get to advance tuck

Barbell Curls: 95x3x1
- these irritated my wrist, so I terminated this set early
- go back to the 45 pound DB hammer curls

L-Sits: 5 holds
- held at parallel for as long as possible
- then held in a lazy-L, with legs extended but held low

The tuck front lever position feels solid, so I'm working on extending the legs gradually to get to an advanced tuck. I'm not there yet, but I can manage an extension to just short of 90 degrees for a few seconds. L-sits are still weak, but I'm working hamstring flexibility each day, and my hip flexors will get stronger with more practice on them.

I'm planning on attending a local adult gymnastics class, probably next week. I figured that I could get some of the basic bodyweight skills like handstands much faster if I have some decent coaching. If you have any tips on getting along in a gymnastics class, feel free to share.

Daniel Myers
07-04-2007, 08:15 AM
Tuesday 6/3/2007

Warm

Squat: 275x6x2 225x15
- the back off set was hard, but good
- I could get 225x20 if I really wanted it

Overhead Press: 120x6x2 95x12

Heavyhands lunges on treadmill:
- 10 pound dumbbells
- 5% grade, 1 mph speed
- 8 minutes
- press one bell overhead on each lunge
- averaged 15 lunges per minute

Standing Cable Abs: 100x3x8 120x5
- focus on keeping the legs straight

Daniel Myers
07-06-2007, 07:58 AM
Thursday 6/5/2007

Warm-Up Type Stuff

Bench Press: 205x5x2 135x15
- this was lame
- felt awkward, especially when taking the bar off the rack
- repeat 205 next week

Body Rows: 3x10

Front Lever: 6 holds
- getting stronger on these
- can move into an okay advanced tuck
- try to hold advanced tuck longer

Curls: 85x4x2 85x12
- This was weird. I started off doing sets of two, then I got bored, so I decided to do one more set to "almost failure." And somehow, I got 12 reps. Apparently I was underestimating my curling powers, at least for today.

Thruster Breathing Ladder:
- 1 deep breath, 1 rep
- 2 deep breaths, 2 reps
- repeat up to 20 breaths and 20 reps
- these were not hard until 15, and then they were very hard

Go Home

Daniel Myers
07-09-2007, 06:07 AM
Saturday 7/7/07

Deadlift: 335x2x1 355x4x1 335x4x1
- My first real DL session in a couple of weeks

Pullups: 50x6x2 0x11

Power Clean and Push Press: 65 x 5 minutes
- grip got tired before anything else

Bear Crawls around wrestling mat

Swiss Ball Sit-Ups: 40

Daniel Myers
07-14-2007, 10:12 PM
Saturday 7/14/2007

Been slacking off a little this week. Had some aches and pains on Tuesday, so I took a very short session, and skipped Thursday's normal workout

For today, I hiked for two hours up into the Sandia foothills. Basically, an hour uphill, then an hour downhill, carrying a light pack with some water. I measured the route, and calculated I did 3.25 miles in the first 50 minutes, for an average pace of just under 4 MPH. I don't know the elevation gain, but the first half was totally uphill at a 5-10% grade.

The wife and I are planning to travel up to Colorado over Labor Day to climb some of the 14000 foot mountains in the Denver area. I've been feeling guilty about not doing much outdoor stuff this year, so I'm looking forward to doing some day hikes to prepare. We have several 10000-12000 foot peaks and trails within short driving distance.

Daniel Myers
07-16-2007, 06:15 AM
Sunday 7/15/2007

Changing it up a little bit. I stole this from John McCallum's Complete Keys to Progress.

Warm-Up

Prone Hyperextensions: 3x10

Squats: 135x5 185x5 225x5
- went a little easy on these because of my hip
- take three deep breaths between each rep

Pullovers: 15x5x20
- superset these with squats
- done to "expand the rib box"

Front Squats: 135x3x10

Bench Press: 135x4x8

Power Cleans: 95x5 115x2x5 135x2x5
- again, went a little easy on these

Bent-Over Row: 95x10 115x10 135x10
- cut this short because I was feeling it in my low back

Overhead Press: 95x3x8

Incline DB Curls: 25x3x8 x each arm
- superset with presses

Abs

Hip Abductor Machine: 40x3x10 x right leg

I haven't worked these high reps in a while, and I moved through everything at a good pace, so I got some conditioning and a nice pump. Am I allowed to talk about being pumped on the P-Menu?

Daniel Myers
07-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Tuesday 7/17/2007

In keeping with the spirit of "changing it up," I did the famous York Course #3 today. This is a tough little fellow, but enjoyable.

Warm-Up:
- light power snatches
- light clean and press
- joint mobility
- foot drills

York Course #3:

One-Arm Jerk: 55x10 x each arm
One-Arm Snatch: 40x10 x each arm
Two-Arm Press: 95x10
Deep Knee Bend: 185x12
One-Arm Overhead Squat: 60x10 x each arm
High Pull: 185x10
Press Behind Neck: 85x10
Hang Power Snatch: 75x10
Two-Arm Jerk: 115x10
Hang Power Clean: 115x10

I haven't done some of these moves for a while -- particularly the snatches, which I hardly ever do. No breaks, except to change the weights. It doesn't look that hard on paper, but all of the exercises are big compound moves, and make you really tired.

I didn't plan this consciously, but it looks like I'm using weights in the 50-60% range. You could go higher, take a little more rest, and maybe add a second set to some of the moves for a strength workout. Or you could go lighter and focus on really flying through everything for a tough metcon session. Very flexible, these old York Courses. I have a couple of other ones I want to try out over the next few weeks.

I finished up with some easy pumping and toning for arms, calves, etc., and some sit-ups.

Daniel Myers
07-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Thursday 7/19/2007

I did two of the York courses from Advanced Methods of Weight Training: the Power Plus and Power courses. Bob Hoffman mentions that he had used this combination in his own training. Twelve exercises for each course, interleaved together so that you end up doing two exercises for each basic movement type.

There's a number of different approaches to sets and reps for these. I decided to do one set of approximately 10 reps for each exercise, and try to move through them with minimal rest.

Warm-Up

Curl: 80x10
Reverse Curl: 40x10

Press: 95x10
Press behind neck: 95x8

Deadlift: 225x4 295x8
Straight-Leg Deadlift: 225x10

Bent-Arm Pullover: 80x10
Straight-Arm Pullover: 60x10

Side Bends with Barbell: 45x10 x each side
Side Press: 45x10 x each side

Squat: 225x10
Squat on Toes: 105x10

Bent-Over Row: 155x10
45-Degree Row: 155x10

Bench Press: 135x10 135x5
Pullover and Press: 60x10

Raise on Toes: 195x20
Straddle Hop: 105x10

Front Squat: 155x10
Good Morning: 135x10

Sit-Up: 50
Leg Raise: 25

Breathing Squat: 185x15

Dear reader, I tell you, this was a ball buster. I may just be woefully out of shape with no work capacity, but I damn near died. I moved through the first half fairly smartly, but I was feeling it after the squats, and after the bench presses, I was nearly wiped out. I was averaging about a minute between sets up to that point, but my rest periods got a lot longer for the last few exercises.

The front squats were a substitution for both the straddle lift and the leg press. I don't know a good poundage for those exercises and I didn't feel like experimenting to find one.

The breathing squats were a little weak. I really should have gone with 225 and done true breathing squats, with 3-5 deep breaths between each rep. As it was, I jacked out the first 10 reps with 185 without a serious problem, then finished the last five reps with a little effort. Oh well, I'll try harder next time.

Suffice it to say, these old York courses can be some strong medicine. I'm currently putting together a list of several courses so I can have them all in one place. I'll post the document once I finish it for anyone else that's interested.

Daniel Myers
07-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Saturday 7/21/2007

Did some power work today. I stole this workout from John McCallum.

Warm-Up

Squats: Started at 185x3 and worked up to 265x3 in ten pound increments.

Bench: Same approach, from 135x3 up to 205x1.

Progressive Pulls: Start with power cleans from 115x2 to 165x2. After this, I switched to high pulls and 15 pound jumps for 180x2 up to 225x2. Then deadlifts, finishing at 330x2.

My low back is still bothering me a little bit. I'll need to take it easy and avoid going heavy for the next week to make sure it clears up.

Also, I really suck at Olympic pulling movements.

Daniel Myers
07-23-2007, 06:12 AM
Sunday 7/22/2007

Hiked the La Luz trail in the Sandia mountains with my wife. Approximately 7.5 miles, around 5000 feet of elevation gain and done in about 3 hours. The rocks were tough, but the altitude didn't really bother me, which was good since I haven't really exercised at this altitude since we did some snowshoe races last winter.

Daniel Myers
07-31-2007, 08:28 PM
Tuesday 7/31/2007

I have returned!

Gaze upon my workouts, ye mighty, and despair!

I took the last week off. It was the right decision. For a number of different reasons, I needed to take a break.

I got back into it with the York Power Plus course. Two sets of 8-10 with a moderately difficult weight for each movement.

Warm-Up

Curl: 70x2x8
Press: 95x2x8
Deadlift: 275x2x4
Pullover: 80x2x8
Side-Bend: 100x2x8 x each side
Squat: 225x2x8
T-Bar Row: 115x8 90x8
Bench Press: 145x2x10
Calf Raise: 195x2x15 (on Smith machine)
Front Squat: 165x2x8
Sit-Up: 30x2x10
Breathing Squat: 205x15

This felt good. Tough, but after I finished I felt strong and energized, not beaten up and run down. I went a little light on the deadlifts, and I need to stay there for a few more sessions. My back is better, but I need to make sure it's fully recovered before I start hammering it again.

A couple of weeks ago, I promised a comprehensive list of the York courses. I've put the list together, but I'm going to wait and try some more of the courses so I can give an informed opinion on each one.

Daniel Myers
08-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Wednesday 8/1/2007

Went to an adult gymnastics class for the first time. The "class" is really more like open gym time for people to practice skills, with a couple of coaches to give instruction to anybody that wants it. Most of the people there were working on tumbling skills, including some guys from a local wushu school and a couple of cheerleader-ish girls.

Since I'm mostly interested in feats of brutal strength, I went straight for the rings. It turns out that rings are very hard. I'd heard this before, and thought it was just exaggeration, but they really do make even basic exercises brutally tough. For this session, I mostly played around on each apparatus, doing some dips, supports, and swings on the rings, and practicing a few handstand pushups against the wall.

Since I'm mostly interested in strength skills, I'll start working on handstands, with the goal of doing unsupported handstand pushups, and muscle-ups on rings. After those, I'd like to work on planche progressions, the iron cross, and maybe circles on the pommel horse.

Daniel Myers
08-03-2007, 07:37 AM
Thursday 8/2/2007

Back in the gym for more York courses. Today I combined the "Excellent Heavy Dumbbell" and "One Dumbbell" courses from Advanced Methods of Weight Training. The odd-numbered exercises are from the Heavy DB course, and the even-numbered ones from the One-DB course.

Ten repetitions of each exercise, except where noted. For the one-arm exercises, I did ten repetitions per arm. For the two-arm movements, I've listed the weight of the individual dumbbell.

Warm-up

Hammer Curls: 35
One-Arm Overhead Toe Touch: 35
Two-DB Press: 40
Bent-Over Reverse Curl: 25
Two-Hand Swing: 75
Bent-Over Regular Curl: 35
Two-DB Pullover: 35x8 (too much weight)
One-Arm Clean and Press: 40
Side Bends: 100
One-Arm Swing: 45
Two-DB Thruster: 40
One-Arm Upright Rows: 25
One-DB Bent-Over Row: 50
One-Arm Press: 40
Bench Press: 70x7 (a little too much)
One-Hand Swing to Overhead: 40
One-DB Calf Raise: 50x15
One-Hand Power Snatch: 40
Clean and Press: 40
Side Press: 35
Weighted Decline Sit-Ups: 35x25
One-Arm Bent-Over Row: 50
Two-DB Overhead Squat: 40
Side Bends: 100

Yeah, it looks like a ton of work, but it's only one set of each movement, and many of the exercises are duplicates. You could make it even more efficient if you grouped the similar exercises together to reduce weight changes. You could probably do all the exercises with the same weight, if you were willing to be conservative on a few of the movements, and eliminate some of the weaker ones, like the reverse curls. Could also be done with handleballs.

Daniel Myers
08-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Sunday 8/5/2007

Raw, brutal power day.

Squat: 135x10 185x8 225x5 255x3 275x2 300x1 275x2 245x10

Bench Press: 95x8 135x6 165x4 185x2 205x1

Incline DB Press: 50x10 60x10 60x8

Pullup: 2x8

Twisting Sit-Up: 30 x right 20 x left 15 x right

I've finally done 300 for the first time in more than two years -- the last time I used to train hard before graduate school stole my focus. Honestly, I've been ready for that weight for a long time now, but I'd let it become a sort of psychological block. I was so wrapped up in doing 5x5 or 8x2 and adding 5 pounds every week that I wound up getting stuck in the 225-275 range for far too long. Over the next few weeks I'm going to focus on getting over 300 for reps. Then I can begin the drive towards 360 for 2xBW.

I'm also enjoying the inclusion of some more volume and higher rep ranges. It's almost like you need to change things up and try different approaches -- but surely that can't be right.

My arms were strongly affected by Wednesday's gymnastics. By the end of the bench presses, I was cramping in my biceps and forearms. It was quite painful. If that hadn't happened I would have done some power cleans. This will clear up in a few more days.

Finally, I threw in the incline presses because I want to fill out my chest a little more. Am I allowed to talk about that on the Performance Menu?

Allen Yeh
08-06-2007, 06:23 AM
Finally, I threw in the incline presses because I want to fill out my chest a little more. Am I allowed to talk about that on the Performance Menu?

Haha...I'm still here, and I even go so far as using the cable machines.

Daniel Myers
08-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Tuesday 8/7/07

The Weight Lifting course from York's Advanced Methods of Weight Training. This is similar to the famous course #3.

Two sets of five for each movement, both with the same weight.

Warm-Up

Clean Without Using Legs or Back: 95
Clean and Press: 115
Snatch: 95
Push Press: 135
High Pulls to Head: 115
Jump Squats: 115
Upright Rowing: 75
Press to Front and Back: 95
Clean and Jerk: 135
Deadlift to Belt Height: 225 (one set of five)
Front Squats: 185

Tough, but not too tough. I could have handled some more weight on the earlier exercises, but the C+J really took it out of me, and the last few sets were fairly hard.

As you can tell from my numbers, I am pathetically weak at Olympic movements and overhead lifting. Partly, this is just lack of experience. My snatch would improve quickly if I did it more than once every four months. I would also benefit from some coaching and technical work, but I'm probably not going to get those any time soon. Really, I just need to hit these movements more frequently, and with greater intensity. I do feel like the York courses have helped my overhead pressing a little, because they always include a couple of overhead exercises.

Had a little soreness in the arms and elbows, but not as bad as Sunday, so that's working itself out. We'll see how I feel at tonight's gymnastics session.

Daniel Myers
08-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Thursday 8/9/2007

"Bob Hoffman's Favorite" from Advanced Methods of Weight Training.

Warm-up

Curl: 85x6 75x7
Press: 115x6 105x7
Upright Row: 85x10 85x8
Side Bend: 110x2x10 x each side

-- Do the next four exercises as a circuit

Thruster: 85x10
High Pulls to Head: 85x10
Straddle Hop: 85x20
Clean and Press: 85x10

Bent-Over Row: 155x2x10
Incline DB Press: 60x9 60x7
Squat: 225x2x10

The course finishes with deadlifts, but I omitted them, since it was late and I was ready to head home.

Hoffman says that this course was originally developed for military training. The idea was to use the same weight for the first four exercises, add some weight, do the next four, then add some more weight to do the last four. This allowed a group of five men to exercise with one barbell in an efficient fashion. I didn't do this, since I wanted to use more challenging poundages for some of the exercises.

I made a few modifications. The original course has press behind neck and regular presses -- I substituted regular presses and incline DB presses, respectively. The thruster was originally the "deep knee bend and press behind neck" -- basically a behind-the-neck thruster; Hoffman mentions that this was his favorite exercise.

In the future, I'll probably omit the straddle hop -- moving your feet like jumping jacks with a barbell on the shoulders. It doesn't really add anything to the middle circuit.

Daniel Myers
08-12-2007, 09:20 PM
Sunday 8/12/2007

Basic power stuff.

Squat: 135x10 185x8 225x5 255x5 275x3 300x1 275x6 245x10
- 275x6 is a PR with that weight
- Goal for next week is 300x2 or 300x3

Bench Press: 95x8 135x5 155x5 185x3 205x2 185x4

Incline DB Press: 65x8 55x9
- Again, for overall chest development

Straight-Leg Deadlift: 135x5 185x5 225x5 275x3 315x2
- I don't do this movement very often
- Back felt fine on every rep
- 315x2 is a PR, surprisingly easy

Sit-Ups: 50

Twisting Sit-Up: 20 x right side

Daniel Myers
08-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Tuesday 8/14/2007

York "Mr. America" course.

DB Hammer Curl: 30x10 40x6 35x8

Wide-Grip Bench Press: 135x10 155x8 155x6

Deadlift: 275x4 315x4 335x2

Pullover: 60x10 80x8 90x3 (80 to 90 is a big jump in difficulty)

Side Bend: 120x2x7 x each side

Close-Grip Bench Press: 95x10 115x8 135x6

Bent-Over Row: 135x10 155x8 175x6

Pullup: 8 6 (didn't have much left for these)

Calf Raise: 70x20 x each leg

Leg Raise: 25x2

Squat: 225x10 245x8 265x5

This is just a good old-school total body workout. Also has a nice mixture of power and bodybuilding movement. I could imagine Grimek throwing down on this stuff 70 years ago -- although he would have used much bigger weights.

I moved through everything at a good pace, and took about an hour to get to the squats. Then I took good rest breaks for the last three sets so I could really hit it hard. Total time of about 75 minutes.

Daniel Myers
08-18-2007, 08:14 AM
Friday 8/17/2007

My own York-style full body workout. Two sets of 8-10 for each movement, except where I picked weights that were too heavy.

Warm-up

Dips: 0x10 25x10 45x2x10

Front Squats: 165x2x10

Pullups: 10 8
-- endurance on these is really lacking
-- I can do 12-15 in one set, but then I'm wiped out

Incline DB Presses: 65x7 55x8

Pullovers: 70x10 60x10

Seated Calf Raise: 90x15 115x15

Straight-Leg Deadlift: 225x2x10

Straight-Leg Sit-Ups: 40

Right Side Leg Raises: 50

Daniel Myers
08-18-2007, 08:40 AM
I started experimenting with the York courses because I wanted a change of pace and a break from killing myself with multiple sets of low reps. It turns out, however, that I'm enjoying this style of training, so I think I'm going to formalize it a little and then stay with it for at least another month.

I feel like the variety of exercises has helped my physique a little bit, and the higher reps have built some work capacity, which I neglected while I was doing 8x2.

Here's what I'm thinking: three full-body sessions per week, heavy, medium, and light.

On the heavy day, I just work up to a decent weight on a few key lifts. This is not necessarily a "max effort" day, just a good heavy set of one to three reps. Lifts on this day could be rotated every few weeks if I start to feel stagnant.

The medium day is a full-body workout of 6-8 lifts, each done for roughly 15 working reps, with a warm-up if necessary. I'm leaning towards a 10-8-6 rep scheme, with the 10 being a warm-up set, but this could also use sets of 5.

The light day is reps in the 8-12 range, and different exercises, to provide some more variety. My challenge will be keeping this day truly light, since I have a tendency to get greedy.

Optionally, add one "tinkering" day in between the medium and light days. This is for active recovery, prehab, skill practice, pumping and toning, or anything else I want to do as long as it isn't really taxing. Right now, this will be gymnastics class on Wednesdays, where I'm working on handstands. There's still some stress on the body, as I get used to supporting my weight on my hands, but it's mostly skill work so it fits the template.

Scheduling it out:

Sunday (Heavy):
-- Squat
-- Bench Press
-- Pulling Movement (Deadlift, Clean, etc.)

-- Work up to a heavy set of 1-3 on each movement

Tuesday (Medium)
-- Curl
-- Overhead Press
-- Clean
-- Bench Press
-- Bent-Over Row
-- Squat
-- Possibly one more accessory movement (shrugs?)

-- Use 10-8-6 or 3-4x5 scheme

Wednesday (Tinkering or Gymnastics)

Friday (Light)
-- Dips
-- Front Squat
-- Pullups
-- Incline DB Presses
-- Pullover
-- Calf Raise
-- Straight-Leg Deadlift

-- 2 sets of 8-12

I'm interested to see how this works. It's somewhat similar to a lot of the Rippetoe/Pendlay stuff that's been going around, but using a greater variety of exercises. It may turn out to be a total waste of time, but either way it will be a learning experience. And really, four weeks to try an experiment isn't a big deal in the long run.

I'm interested in your comments, if you have any.

Daniel Myers
08-19-2007, 05:30 PM
Sunday 8/19/2007

Heavy day. Sheer brutality and metal.

Squat:
135x8
185x5
225x3
255x3
275x2
300x3
275x5

Bench Press:
95x8
135x5
155x3
185x3
205x3
185x6

Deadlift:
135x8
225x4
275x2
315x2
335x1
365x1

A very strong session. I've improved on squats and bench press for the last few weeks. Next week I'll hit 315 in the squat.

For the bench, I think I've discovered a technique problem that's been holding me back. I seem to press a little forward, rather than straight up. About halfway to the top, this creates a horrible leverage disadvantage, and I have fight to lock out the rep. I'll try pushing backwards just a little bit, and see if this helps lock out the heavy reps. I think I do the same thing on the overhead press.

365 is the heaviest deadlift I've hit in about two months, so it was a grind, but otherwise okay. I'll probably rotate the deadlift with one or two other pulling movements on this day -- maybe high pulls since I suck at them.

Daniel Myers
08-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Thursday 8/21/2007

Full-body workout with multiple sets.

Curl: 65x5 85x3x5

Overhead Press: 85x5 115x5 105x2x5

Power Clean: 135x4 145x4 155x4 165x4 175x1
None of my cleans are technically perfect, but 175 went up very smartly, right to the clavicles.

Bench Press: 135x5 165x3x5

Bent-Over Row: 135x5 165x3x5

Skull Crushers: 45x8 65x7 65x2x5

Squat: 225x5 245x2x5

Side Bends: 120x2x8 x each side

This was a pretty decent day, but I'm going to have to play with it a little bit to find the right approach. The squats and bench both felt heavier than normal after Sunday's heavy session. Also, I'm adding some triceps work to see if that helps my pressing. That being said, my enthusiasm is high, and I'm feeling confident about my current direction.

William Hunter
08-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Daniel, I've enjoyed reading your log. You mentioned earlier giving a synopsis of the York courses after you've worked through some of them. I'd be interested in that. Also, you made mention of McCallum's Keys to Progress. Do you own that book? Recommend it? Somehow I found this link http://bulkingup.moonfruit.com/ some of which is a reprint of one of McCallum's articles. I like his old school style, and have actually done his prescribed workout from time to time, minus the pullovers 1x20 (never felt my ribcage expand too much and not sure I want it any bigger).

Thanks in advance.

Daniel Myers
08-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks, William.

I have a list of the York courses made up, but it's on another computer. I've been slacking recently, but I'll try to get it and post it in the near future.

I have Keys to Progress. Overall it's a solid book and worth the money. McCallum has a very engaging style, and his articles are written more like stories than typical training stuff. The book is mainly concerned with bodybuilding, but there's still a strength and power emphasis. I guess it fits in the "power bodybuilding" style, which is fine, since I'm leaning in that direction myself.

The routine you linked is very typical of his stuff: full-body, five to eight exercises, three times per week, and a heavy emphasis on deep breathing squats. Some of his "specialization" routines are higher in volume, like three full-body days and three body part focused days per week -- these would probably be considered too high in volume by modern standards. His nutritional advice is oriented towards gaining weight, and probably wouldn't win any friends around here -- lots of milk and wheat germ oil. Seriously, Robb would ban me if I posted the recipe for the "Get Big Drink". He also seems to think that leg raises will keep you from getting fat. Overall, though, a solid meat and potatos book, and worth owning if you're into vintage training material.

Daniel Myers
08-22-2007, 07:44 PM
Whatever. I like to live dangerously. Here's the recipe for the "Get Big Drink":

Day's supply of a protein supplement

Two quarts of milk

Two cups of skim milk powder

Two eggs

Four tablespoons of peanut butter

Half a brick of chocolate ice cream

One small banana

Four tablespoons of malted milk powder

Six tablespoons of corn syrup

That's one day's supply. I think the fact that he specifically recommends a "small" banana is hilarious.

William Hunter
08-23-2007, 04:42 AM
Thanks for the info Daniel. I've been thinking about getting that book for a while. For some reason I seem to enjoy persusing older training material, seeing what has stood the test of time, and what is now considered bunk.

And, wow, that is some drink. Not for the lactose intolerant.

Daniel Myers
08-24-2007, 09:05 PM
Friday 8/24/2007

Light repetition day.

Reverse Curls: 30x10 50x2x10

Dips: 0x10 45x2x10

Pullups: 10 6

Incline DB Press: 60x10 60x8

Pullover: 70x10 70x8

Seated Calf Raise: 115x15 125x12

Upright Row: 85x2x10

Straight-Leg Deadlift: 235x8

Surgs for teh Tarps: 225x2x8

A few hours before this workout, I ate a gigantic New Mexican meal with my parents at one of the better restaurants in town. Then I came home and went into a two hour food-induced coma nap. Ordinarily I would have pushed the SLDL harder and thrown in some front squats, but just wasn't feeling that today. It could have been dangerous for everyone involved.

Pullups are weak. I can do that first set fairly well, but then don't have much stamina for more sets. I should probably add a couple of sets of 5-10 to my warmup to build up some work capacity. We'll see if I actually decide to do that.

Daniel Myers
08-27-2007, 05:38 AM
Sunday 8/26/2007

Return of son of heavy day.

Skwat:
135x8
185x5
225x3
255x1
275x1
295x1
315x1
295x3

Bench Press:
95x8
135x5
155x3
185x1
205x1
225xfail
185x5

Hamstring Curls: 80x4x8

Pullups: 4x8

Standing Ab Pulldowns: 100x10 110x2x10

I'm considering 315 to be my PR. As I've mentioned before, I got decently strong at squats a few years ago (interestingly, that was the only lift I was any good at), and hit 330 once. I think those reps were too high to really count, though, so 315 is my all-time best in a legal depth squat.

"Master of Puppets" came on the radio right after I loaded the bar with 315. There is no better song for getting pumped up. I intentionally waited for the massively heavy bridge section before I did the lift.

Trying to hit 225 on the bench was a mistake. It was just too big of a jump and I got buried on the bottom without the strength to reverse it. I always bench in the rack, and I recommend you do too. I guess I could count it as a heavy negative rep.

205 to 225 is a 10% jump, so I really just need a smaller increase. If I can triple 205, then I can probably do 5% more -- 215 -- so I'll try that next week. Then I'll get 225 on the increase after that. I would really like to bench 225, since I've always been the world's worst bencher, and that would be an actual respectable weight. I just need a few more weeks, and then I'll take it.

Two plates on each side! RAWK!

Daniel Myers
08-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Tuesday 8/28/07

Medium heavy set day.

Curl: 45x10 85x3x5

Overhead Press: 85x5 115x3x5 + 10 lockouts

Power Clean: 135x4 155x4 175x4x1

Bench Press: 135x5 165x3x5

Bent-Over Row: 135x5 185x5

Skullcrusher: 45x8 65x8,8,5

Full Front Squat: 135x5 185x3x5

Deep Breathing in Front Squat Position: 185x15

Light Stretching Pullovers: 20x20

Improved on every movement, either by weight, reps, or overall feel.

The last two exercises are a nod to the classic breathing squat thing. The old-timers had a near universal belief that deep breaths with a heavy weight on the back would "expand the rib box" and build the upper body. The light pullovers were done to stretch the connective tissue of the torso. John McCallum was nigh fanatical about this exercise combination.

Modern sources say this is all physically impossible -- it's more likely that loaded deep breathing develops the various small muscles between the ribs, giving the appearance of a larger torso Regardless, I decided to throw in some deep breaths holding the bar racked in front of the shoulders. It was fun.

I'd also like to experiment with deep breathing quarter squats. The same idea, but with a much greater load.

Daniel Myers
08-30-2007, 10:24 PM
Thursday 8/30/2007

Tinkering day. It's all about the pump, baby.

Hip Abduction: 60x3x10 x right side

Push-ups: 30 20 10

Wrist Curls: 45x10 65x10 95x2x10 115x8

Reverse Wrist Curls: 45x2x10

Lateral Raises: 15x10 25x10 30x8

Barbell Front Raise: 45x8 65x8 55x10

DB Hammer Curls: 35x8 30x8 25x8

Cable Tricep Pushdowns: 60x10 70x9 60x10

Rotator Cuff: 12x2x10 x each side

Handstand holds against the wall

Handstands felt good. I found the right distance from the wall, and got the right amount of backbend to keep my balance -- I was able to kick off the wall and hold a free handstand for a few seconds.

I probably won't be attending adult gymnastics classes for the near future -- I'm leading a middle school confirmation group at my church -- so I'll try to include a little handbalancing practice on these tinkering days. Realistically, I wasn't getting much direct coaching at the classes, so it's not a huge loss.

Other than the handstands, this workout broke every single P-Menu guideline for proper exercise. I might do some cable crossovers next week.

Daniel Myers
09-03-2007, 09:23 AM
Sunday 9/2/2007

Another limit day.

Skwat:
135x8
185x5
225x3
255x1
275x1
295x1
315x1
295x3

Bench Press:
95x8
135x5
155x1
185x1
215x1 (PR)
195x4

Deadlift:
225x4
275x2
315x1
335x1
365x1

The 315 squat was super ugly. I lost my arch coming out of the bottom and ended up doing a max effort good morning thing, which was not what I was going for. Still, I made the lift. I own 315.

Bench is coming up, slowly but surely.

I'm not sure how to work the deadlift into this style of training. My current plan is to deadlift on the limit day, but only every other week; trying to pull all the time seems to hard on the body. Maybe do high pulls on the other limit days.

Another choice would be to follow a Westcyde-type thing, and do one lower and one upper exercise on limit day, and then rotate them every three weeks, or when I start to get stale. So, I would squat for three weeks, then switch to deadlifting for three weeks, and then back to some kind of squatting movement. That would work, but I don't want to do a bunch of variations, and I'm concerned that switching back and forth all the time would slow my progress -- as soon as you're into the groove, you have to switch exercises, and then there's a period of adaptation when you come back to a lift you haven't done for three weeks.

Also, I'm going to make it official: I'm not doing the powerlifting meet next weekend. I ran into some stuff back in June/July that required me to take some time off and change the focus of my training. Basically, I pushed too hard, and wound up hating lifitng and my life. It was kind of weird, actually. I'd read that overextending yourself could cause irritability and mood issues, but I'd never experienced it personally. After I took some time off and changed my workouts I went back to normal right away, but I didn't have any motivation to train for the meet.

I could just show up and lift on Saturday, and I see the wisdom there. You know, just go kill some iron, meet some people, and get some experience. Except I crunched the numbers and it would cost almost $100 to compete. I would need to register, pay late fees, get a federation membership, and buy a singlet, and I'm not willing to lay out that much cash for a learning experience. Someday soon, I'm going to compete in a strength sport -- just not next weekend.

Whoa, that was a long post. Something about heavy day makes me wax eloquent.

Daniel Myers
09-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Tuesday: 9/4/2007

Medium full-body-type thing.

Curl: 45x10 85x3x5

Overhead Press: 85x5 115x3x5
-- Try 120 next week

Power Clean: 135x4 155x4 175x4
-- Stay at 175 for at least one more week

Bench Press: 135x5 170x3x5

Bent-Over Row: 135x5 185x3x5

Close-Grip Bench Press: 135x5 145x2x5

Front Squat: 135x5 195x3x5
-- This is a PR for sets of five, I think

DB Side Bend: 120x2x10 115x2x10

I made a little breakthrough on the press. Instead of looking at myself in the mirror as I lifted, I started looking up at the bar as it rises. This puts a little more bend in my back and keeps the bar path straight, with no forward lean. I still need to get used to it -- in particular, I need to find the right amount of back lean -- but it definitely felt stronger.

Daniel Myers
09-07-2007, 06:06 AM
Thursday 9/6/2007

Tinkerin'.

Wrist Curls: 45x10 95x3x10

Push-ups with feet elevated: 3x20

Incline DB Curls: 35x5 30x10 25x10

Triceps Pressdowns: 70x2x10 60x10

Lateral Raises: 25x3x10

Handstand holds against the wall

Daniel Myers
09-08-2007, 08:59 AM
Friday 9/7/2007

Second full-body day of the week.

Reverse Curl: 30x10 50x2x10

Dips: 0x10 55x2x10

Pullups: 10 9.5
-- Couldn't quite finish out the last rep

Incline DB Press: 55x10 60x9

Seated Calf Raise: 90x10 125x2x10

Pullover: 70x2x10

Straight-Leg Deadlift: 185x5 225x5 245x5 275x5

Shrug: 225x2x8

Pretty decent session. Dips, pullups, and presses were all strong and improved from two weeks ago. I went heavier on the SLDL than I would have on a normal "light" day, but I'm already planning to skip Sunday's heavy session (for a scheduled blood donation) and use the next week for a little break and deload.