PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Recommendations

Robert McBee
05-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Here are a couple of coffee's that I really dig. I'm always on the lookout for others too. Addiction is a wonderful/terrible thing.

www.intelligentsiacoffee.com
The "Black Cat Espresso Blend" is currently my favorite coffee.

www.stumptowncoffee.com
Can't go wrong with the 'House Blend'. A Portland landmark.

Has anyone tried "Shock" coffee? Coach Rut links to it from his webpage. 50% higher caffeine than regular sounds great but I like to grind my own and a 5lbs. bag is the smallest they sell. Of course, if its good enough for the Rutman...

Robert Allison
05-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Two of my favorites are:

Larry's Beans (http://www.larrysbeans.com/)
The Mama Nile Ethiopia & 3 Moon Peru single origins are great, as is the Cowboy Blend and...

Peets (http://www.peets.com/)
You can't go wrong with Major Dickason's Blend.

Steve Liberati
05-30-2007, 05:38 PM
There is not a country I did not taste from Trader Joe's and yet I still find myself every morning reaching to the back of the cabinet for the Folger's can.

I don't know what it is...but there is just something about Folger's....

maybe hitting the diner (its a Jersey thing!) with a bunch of buddies in the wean hours of the night after the bars let out ordering pots of coffee (Folgers) and hot reuben sandwiches til we were stuffed as ticks.

Ah those were the days...(no wonder I was so soft and porky back then ha).

Robb Wolf
05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
There is only one (http://store.cubanfoodguy.com/product_info.php?products_id=41):

Pierre Auge
05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
yeah theirs something about folger's its gross!

A friend of mine grows his own coffee in his basement celar with a very elaborate hydroponics system. In fact it was so elaborate when he installed it that the jump on his power bill tipped the authorities and they raided his house thinking he had a pot grow - turns out he just really likes his coffee which after they were done the raid he offered to brew them a pot and have them hang out and relax.

They had some coffee but declined to "hang out". The cops with the warrant felt pretty dumb.

Steve Shafley
05-31-2007, 11:02 AM
I go with the inexpensive coffees I can get at Sam's Club.

There's an organic, medium roast bean and a "rainforest safe" french roast I go with, alternately.

Without a better coffeemaker, that's about as good as it gets.

Allen Yeh
05-31-2007, 11:08 AM
At work I drink the folgers at home if I don't do yerba mate I'll go with a coffee from Trader Joes, the one I like the best so far is the Smooth and Mellow.

I however only drink 1-2 cups a day.

Troy Archie
06-08-2007, 09:50 AM
If you consider yourself appreciative of coffee in any form, I highly emplore you all to go out and find a local roaster in your town and buy your coffee freshly roasted. The difference between fresh roasted coffee sold no longer than a few days post roasting and what you buy at the grocery store is like night and day; canned fish and catching it out of the river; garden veggies and store bought.

I then emplore you to ditch your drip coffee maker and start using a French Press or Plunger for brewing. The problem with a drip machine is that when the water hits the coffee, it's already cooled way too much to get a good amount of extraction out of the coffee. Whereas with a press you pour boiling water on the grind allowing for the most extraction possible.

my name is Troy and I am a coffee geek. I work at a coffee roaster. We have coffee tasting nights and I have a problem.

Mike ODonnell
06-08-2007, 11:48 AM
$2 at cariboo coffee and then use their free WiFi for 2 hours....fair trade....

John Vernon
06-08-2007, 01:30 PM
I then emplore you to ditch your drip coffee maker and start using a French Press or Plunger for brewing. The problem with a drip machine is that when the water hits the coffee, it's already cooled way too much to get a good amount of extraction out of the coffee. Whereas with a press you pour boiling water on the grind allowing for the most extraction possible.

When I moved from Chico to Sacramento I picked up a french press since my fiance had my Krups coffee maker. The Bay Blend, I believe it's called, from TJ's never tasted so good as when I was using the press. Now, I've got my coffe pot back and the french press is in the pantry...

John Vernon
06-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Troy, any tips for emptying the press when done? Or is that all part of it? most of it just dumps right out but I hate putting the left over grounds down the sink. just wondering if you had a secret tip.

Ken Urakawa
06-09-2007, 02:31 PM
oldbisbeeroasters.com roast it and ship it that day.

gevalia is good if you don't mind their ads in every magazine known to mankind.

Steve Liberati
06-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Lately I've been on this big expresso and beef jerky kick (wierd right?) drinking 3-4 shots of expresso a day. Anyway, found an awesome flavor of expresso from none other than Trader Joe's that I highly, highly recommend. It's a TJ's private label called, "Organic Five Country Expresso Blend." It's really good though. Try it out, I'm telling ya...

Troy Archie
06-09-2007, 02:41 PM
Troy, any tips for emptying the press when done? Or is that all part of it? most of it just dumps right out but I hate putting the left over grounds down the sink. just wondering if you had a secret tip.

Yeah, just dump it down the sink. Fill it with some more water to loosen up the grinds if need be. Coffee grinds are actually good for your drains, they loosen up all the crap down down and clean them out.

Billy_Brummel
06-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Troy (or any other coffee geeks)

Would you say that a burr grinder is a must if you want a good french pressed cup of coffee? Just got a press but I'm not sure I want to drop an arm and a leg for a burr grinder. Or, to put it another way, will my blade grinder suffice?

Chris Forbis
06-09-2007, 10:11 PM
I got a pretty cheap burr grinder off of Amazon that worked ok for me. I can't seem to find it now, but when I get home I'll check for what model it was. I noticed a vast improvement from blade to burr grinder. I was using the Aeropress, btw.

Troy Archie
06-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Burr grinders are the best but I know what you mean, they are pricey. I use a blade grinder at home right now but I know someday I'll fork out the dough and get a good one.

Chris Forbis
06-10-2007, 03:10 PM
I have the Lello Ariete Burr Coffee Grinder for 29.99 from Amazon. Unfortunately, it is now no longer available from them...

Billy_Brummel
06-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the heads up Chris. I'll keep my eye out for that name.

Ken Urakawa
06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Just got some coffee as a gift from www.stumptowncoffee.com. Wish I could say I had any willpower, but the UPS guy dropped it off about 3:15 and I had it in the french press by 3:30.

"Hair Bender" blend---ahhhhh. If I weren't already an addict, this might do it.

And Braveheartis on AMC right now. Should be a good workout this evening!