PDA

View Full Version : Some personal milestones...

Elliot Royce
06-03-2007, 03:48 PM
I hope people don't mind but I wanted to share some recent PRs because I've gone from nothing to these in 6 months of work with Gary Valentine. His method is to work on the components individually and also together. Still bringing a lot together but the progress is encouraging:

Pull - 160kg (1RM after 10 previous reps at lower weight)
Front squat - 116kg (1RM after 30 reps)
Jerk - 95kg (20th rep on a 20 rep progression)
C&J - 90kg (still hard to bring it all together since I can power clean what I can clean)

I've been going up quickly in the squats because I've finally gotten the depth down. Up 7kg in 3 days this week. I know it's beginner's progress but I'll take it anyway.

I've got to say that 160kg feels like a lot of weight. I can't imagine how strong I'd need to be to C&J that much weight although Gary tells me that when you jump under it, it's easier. Still having that much weight overhead is a mega accomplishment.

Now snatches are another story. Still working in the 40ks and 50ks.

Yuen Sohn
06-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Great going so far! Very cool to see your hard work and consistency paying off.

Keep up the good work!

Derek Simonds
06-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Elliot you are the man. I love to hear about other peoples progress.

I am slightly ahead of you on the snatch but way behind on the C and J. I am about 60 days into my O-Lift journey. Ross found some links to some O-Lift gyms in my area and when I get back from vacation (yes I am leaving on Thursday for the Keys) I am going to go check them out and see where I fit.

I know you have struggled with flexibility so it is great to hear about your progress on the squats.

Keep Rocking!

Elliot Royce
06-03-2007, 05:51 PM
Thank guys....I was looking for some encouragement and you gave it! It's not like my co-workers would be impressed by my O-lifting accomplishments!

Derek - I understand that some coaches start with the snatch and other with the clean. I guess we end up meeting in the middle at some point!

Mike ODonnell
06-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Great job Elliot! Very impressive....how's the hockey going?

Allen Yeh
06-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Awesome numbers! I need to get to work on my front squat, you're starting to catch up to me!

Robb Wolf
06-04-2007, 06:21 AM
right on Elliot!
If you can add a kg every week or two for a year or two...things start looking very good!
keep us posted.

John Alston
06-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Good work man! Keep it up!

Rick Deckart
06-04-2007, 10:45 AM
Good job! Apparently you are in good hands with Gary Valentine.

Jonathan Owen
06-17-2007, 02:45 AM
Very nice! I am pretty much in the same boat. Started O-lifting about 6-7 months ago, with the help of a former competitive lifter from maine. Actually, my first competition will be in August at your gym in Connecticut I believe. I'm excited to get out there for the first time, even with my very unimpressive lifts. Keep up the hard work!

William Hunter
06-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Elliott, that line about your co-workers is soooo true. I guess that's really one of the great things about forums such as these.

I've read some of Gary Valentine's posts on the CF board, he really seems to know his stuff.

Also, you are a walking advertisement for Hip Resurfacing. The ortho's should put you on a billboard or something.

Congrats!

Elliot Royce
06-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks again, guys. Gary has been lifting for 25 years and is the New England master's champ and still shooting for the National master's. He's a great coach.

Gary Valentine
06-17-2007, 07:10 PM
first, congratulations to elliot for his hard work, determination, and willingness to learn this sport. i believe his efforts are paying off rather quickly! while the numbers are already improving significantly, its how the lifts are performed at this point that is important, laying the foundation to apply all the strnegth and power that can be built. proper biomechanics is vital for so many reasons - safety, proper development and growth of muscles and joints involved, as well as the abiltiy to exhibit full power into the desired athletic perfromance.

as to my experience and awards, it 28 years now and going strong, pun intended. i am 2003 World Masters Champion, 6 time and current pan am masters champ and cj recordholder - 154 cj @105 bdwt, 49 years old, tho my national record in that class is 158. i am now attacking the 50+ records in the 105+ dovision, with 114/156 done already this year for NE records, and have had National records 122/163 overhead twice for close misses (arghhh!). while i am focussing on coaching more now, the need to succeed never goes away:-)

please ask away any questions or discussions you'ld like, im happy to have this opprtunity to share my experiences here. and yes, i clean pulled 220 and fr sqautted 175 last week, and elliot i finally recovered! snatch 100 for 10 singles today.-g

Elliot Royce
06-17-2007, 07:30 PM
I clearly understated your lifting achievements but for me it's about the coaching, and there you clearly hold the world record in my eyes.