PDA

View Full Version : protein powder, paleo, yes or no?

Jordan Glasser
06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
For those who stay paleo, what type of protein powder do you use? If you use whey, do you consider it cheating the paleo plan?

thanks,

Jordan

Dave Van Skike
06-06-2007, 01:42 PM
isn't paleo....

still, it works well for a lot of people. I use one that has a blend of milk proteins and no sugar.

Robb Wolf
06-06-2007, 04:32 PM
Jordan-

I would not attack this from a paleo/not paleo perspective but rather is it A-healthy or B-helpful to performance?

Depending upon the circumstances it may be yes and no in both those situations. I REALLY recommend folks stick with solid food unless they simply can not get in enough food otherwise.

It is very easy to overdo liquid foods, both in carbs and total amount of calories.

Garrett Smith
06-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I still have some whey left over from my pre-Paleo days, I use it after long weekend metcon workouts in my PWO shake. When it runs out I doubt I'll replace it.

I typically use either hemp protein or glandular powders (www.leviticus11.com) for my typical shake additions.

Greg Battaglia
06-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Dr. G, what's the logic behind the hemp and glandular powders? Not challenging, just curious.

Jordan Glasser
06-07-2007, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the response guys.
I have cabinet full of protein powders that I haven't used since I switched to paleo, plus my blender broke around the same time, so it's been easy to avoid them. The reason I ask is that I find at times I am eating way too many eggs, along with way too many avocados. Something seems funny with digestion when this happens, so I was seeking an alternative. And a bucket full of all natural whey protein sitting collecting dust may be put to use. but, I think I am going to keep holding off, and just go easy on my avo's and eggs. Plus, I just stocked my freezer full of bison, that'll keep me busy for a while!

thanks again,

jordan

Craig Cooper
06-07-2007, 06:17 PM
Garrett - why not egg white protein powder? And I second Greg's question about hemp and glandular proteins.

Garrett Smith
06-08-2007, 05:48 AM
Hemp seed protein - while it's milled a bit, it's a seed, so it's Paleo in my book.

Whey - just using it to get rid of it, it came in a 7# jar and I just won't throw away decent protein, plus chocolate protein plus blueberries is a good treat.

Glandulars - if there's any part of an animal carnivores should eat, it's the glands, most bang for the buck nutritionally, also more yin energy (muscle meat is very yang, most people are very yin deficient)

Egg - anything other than raw whole eggs gives me bad gas, and my mother has tested to have an egg sensitivity, so I stick to raw eggs only (which I mix with my glandular powder in a shake).

Hope that covered it.

There is also flax seed protein powder, I've seen that from Nature's Way, that would be Paleo-sourced as well.

Brad Hirakawa
06-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I've been using a blend of hemp with a dash of whey (super duper filtered stuff).

The fiber boost from the hemp is.. well.. interesting... in the mornings.

Toilet paper use has decreased dramatically. TMI, sorry.

Brad

Garrett Smith
06-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Coffee plus hemp protein equals BM.

Sad thing is that a serving of hemp protein gives one as much fiber (maybe more) than most Americans eat in a whole day...

Brad, you need to go to the Cottonelle wet wipes, man...

Craig Cooper
06-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Garrett - any recommended sources for the glandular protein? I'm interested in trying it out.

Also, if there's anyone out there that uses egg white protein, which brand do you use? I used to use Jay Robb's, but now he has a "new and improved" formula that has soy lecithin in it, and it's more expensive. Oh yeah, and he has more hair in his picture (http://www.jayrobb.com/)!

Garrett Smith
06-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Craig,
www.leviticus11.com

William Hunter
06-14-2007, 07:09 PM
Garrett, have you ever heard of or investigated a nutritional company called Standard Process? Apparently they are one of the oldest companies (75 + yrs) that created whole food supp's and have a lot of glandular products that I've seen you mention. In my first years in practice I worked with an older Chiro who swore by the company and carried a significant percentage of their product line.

Thanks.

Garrett Smith
06-15-2007, 05:58 AM
William,
I've never gotten into Standard Process.

Unless one uses AK to prescribe their supplements, I find them very hard to learn (the names of products are just plain confusing).

Plus, they use quite a bit of non-Paleo-friendly ingredients. Whole food? Yes. Paleo? No.

Also, they don't carry any purely glandular products, if I remember correctly. They always add other stuff--again, some non-Paleo stuff plus some isolated vitamins (to get their label claims on the map).

I'd rather just get my pure glandulars and add what I want to it.

Craig Cooper
06-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Garrett - which of their products is the glandular protein? The Mits' protein powder is egg, and the other products (powdered liver, thymus, and adrenal gland) don't mention anything about protein in their description.

William Hunter
06-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info Garrett. Actually the guy wasn't an AK doc, but an SOT guy (Goodheart and DeJarnette were cronies back in the day and developed their systems in tandem). I always felt kinda goofy reading through the product catalog anyway.

Sorry for the hijack. I too have some old Designer Whey sitting around that I might use 1x a month. Not too fond of the stuff (I like chewing) but too cheap to just toss it. PWO with blueberries, strawberries, yogurt and a scoop of natural nut butter is a nice little treat though.

Garrett Smith
06-15-2007, 05:24 PM
That site is terrible to navigate through...

Here it is: http://www.leviticus11.com/antiftg.htm

Look to the other links on that (liver) page to find the adrenal and thymus powders...

No worries on the hijack. If there's one thing the PMenu does and does well, is go on tangents...