PDA

View Full Version : IF and Beer Drinking on Vacation

Derek Simonds
06-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Ok I am trying to put together my plan for vacation (leaving tomorrow if you didn't know :D).

I am an avid offshore fisherman and we have a real simple rule. You have to have at least one fish in the boat before you can crack open your first beer. So to solve this somewhat difficult dilemma we get up at 6:30 am and head out. Once you have left the dock the very first thing you do is stop and catch bait. I am somewhat partial to the belief that the first bait fish that bites a hook and hits the deck qualifies as a catch, allowing everyone to have a celebratory beer. Just for clarity to the uninitiated, the fish we catch for bait offshore are larger then a lot fish my buddies relegated to inland lakes catch to eat all the time.

So here is the rub, beer has calories so does that mean that I need to use a different protocol for feeding other than IF while I am in the Keys? Because I am sure based on what I said above you get the general idea that we probably will have beers open oh I would guess somewhere around 6:45 :D.

Because moderation is absolutely imperative I will not be switching to liquor until we have the boat safely docked at the marina. This is why I thought IF would work. I would in my mind ignore all the calories from the daddy pops and then feed whilst drinking my Sailor Jerry and Don Julio Anejo.

Last point which I feel compelled to share is that the beer being consumed will be some flavor of Mexican / south of the border beer. I have found that the beers coming up from down south tend to taste really good on a boat when it is 90 degrees and the sun is beating down.

I know this is a difficult task to come up with an eating protocol for such a difficult situation but I am absolutely confident that you guys can help me.

Mike ODonnell
06-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Go on vacation....don't sweat it....beer and meat....you'll survive and probably feel great from the carb load....

You have to have at least one fish in the boat before you can crack open your first beer.
I'd buy a can of tuna the night before....as soon as you set anchor....attach to hook and reel it in....then celebrate....

Derek Simonds
06-06-2007, 02:43 PM
I hope my humor was evident in the first post. I plan on eating and drinking well mainly Paleo but very very well!

Mike ODonnell
06-06-2007, 03:04 PM
There is no humor when it comes to beer....I take that very seriously. ;)

Robb Wolf
06-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Damn straight1 Beer is no laughing matter...well at least until my Uncle Fred poops his own britches at a family "function". good times at the wolf Casa.

Have fun on vacation Amigo! Beer cures motion sickness BTW.

Don Stevenson
06-06-2007, 04:51 PM
I've got a similar dilemma facing me this weekend.

Going Diving for 3 days and the medical advice is not to drink the night before diving. Protocol suggests that once your air runs out you should switch to beer and decompress at the bar.

Ron Nelson
06-06-2007, 10:41 PM
I'd say something, but I'm drunk.

Stoopid IFing.

Mike ODonnell
06-06-2007, 10:53 PM
I'd say something, but I'm drunk.

Stoopid IFing.

You're drunk? Please.....add 3 hours and then catch up to the East Coast....

Ron Nelson
06-06-2007, 11:07 PM
I would, but I have a job. Keep going and let me know how I did.

Scott Kustes
06-07-2007, 05:11 AM
Drinking while IFing is cool....no pesky food in the stomach to slow absorption. When you're only slightly above lightweight status like me, 2 beers on empty serves up a nice buzz. I recommend you go with 24 hour food fasts, but only about 6 hours (have to sleep sometime) without beer.

Derek Simonds
06-07-2007, 07:16 AM
There is no humor when it comes to beer....I take that very seriously. ;)

I am also very serious about fishing / beer drinking. Thought you guys might like to see my rig as we are getting ready to roll out to the Keys.

http://i13.tinypic.com/4unh5wz.jpg

http://i19.tinypic.com/4ukcoc1.jpg

The boats name is "Sol Searching". The name has multiple meanings. Sol for sun, Sol for one of my favorite beers and Sol as in Soul. I have been known to do some serious soul searching while floating under the Sol with an ice cold Sol in my hand.

I will be hanging around the office for the next 4 hours and then it we are south bound and down!

Allen Yeh
06-07-2007, 09:32 AM
Nothing like rubbing it in our faces or anything!

Robb Wolf
06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Straight Pimp'n!

Mike ODonnell
06-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I am also very serious about fishing / beer drinking. Thought you guys might like to see my rig as we are getting ready to roll out to the Keys.

Yeah....but where's the pimped out cooler with spinners?? That's rolling!

Steve Shafley
06-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Ah, shit...one of the benefits of IFing is that the beer hits you a bit quicker and harder.

Derek Simonds
06-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah....but where's the pimped out cooler with spinners?? That's rolling!

Oh we got it Daddy 'O, wait till you see my wifes pimped out can coozies, we got all that shiznit covered.

I will gladly report on the speed of alcoholic interaction during an IF protocol for some future PM.

This is out folks Peace Out and try to keep the karma thread under control. It looks like I am going to miss the celebration for the first thread with a 1000th post so save an e-Beer and a slice of paleo cake for me.

If I have any good pictures I will post them when I can.

Mike ODonnell
06-07-2007, 11:02 AM
wait till you see my wifes pimped out can coozies

Ummmmm....yeah....speechless.....

Ron Nelson
06-07-2007, 11:10 AM
Here's hoping Derek posts pictures of his wife's coozies. I was talking to Derek about OL'ing and he also said his wife's snatch is looking good.

It's what he gets for dropping a "Smokey and the Bandit" reference.

Gawd, I love being juvenile.

Daniel Miller
06-07-2007, 12:26 PM
Nice boat!

The only thing that might go better than beer and fishing is beer and climbing, IMO!

1-2 packs of either New Belgium 1554, Sierra Pale Ale, or some awesome imperial IPA...mmmm...IPA..*drools*...