PDA

View Full Version : why high heels suck

Yael Grauer
06-10-2007, 01:29 PM
hey everyone,

I had to wear heels for 11 hours for work a couple months ago and couldn't squat heavy the next day. This pissed me off and inspired some research and an article in which superstar Eric Cressey let me quote him extensively. I also borrowed a pretty diagram from a Washington Post article someone sent me the link to. Anyway, you can see the fruits of our labor here: http://www.dirttime.org/2007/06/04/you-cant-run-in-these-girl/

Feel free to forward and repost this, and subscribe to the newsletter if you are so inclined to get articles delivered (not more than once a month) to your very own inbox.

Scott Kustes
06-10-2007, 01:46 PM
I gave up high heels a few years ago. They were causing me bunions.

Yael Grauer
06-10-2007, 01:54 PM
I gave up high heels a few years ago. They were causing me bunions.

It's going to be hard, but I'm going to try to give them up as well. They are so much fun to train in. A bit hard on the matts, but they keep me on my toes.

Mike ODonnell
06-10-2007, 03:10 PM
Heels may suck....but in defenese, strippers on stage wearing Nike Frees.....just doesnt give the same vibe....

Yael Grauer
06-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Heels may suck....but in defenese, strippers on stage wearing Nike Frees.....just doesnt give the same vibe....

Probably why most strippers have back/knee/ankle/etc. problems... but I guess it depends on what you're willing to do to "fulfill the necessary duty of relieving dumb men of their money" (as the ladies I've talked to put it.)

:p

Allen Yeh
06-11-2007, 04:59 AM
It's weird I know but the last few weeks after reading all these articles about high heels I pay a lot more attention to what types of shoes people are wearing now along with how their ankles look and their posture.

Scott Kustes
06-11-2007, 05:37 AM
Probably why most strippers have back/knee/ankle/etc. problems... but I guess it depends on what you're willing to do to "fulfill the necessary duty of relieving dumb men of their money" (as the ladies I've talked to put it.)

:p
Someone has to entertain the married men of America. </Chris Rock>

Robb Wolf
06-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Naturally I need to put a Paleo spin on this....

So out in the wilds of nature predators tend to zero in on the weak sick or injured among a herd. This can whip said predator into a blood-lust frenzy as easy pickings are at hand. Females who wear heels emulate the gait patterns of wounded and/or compromised prey and thus inspire males to heights of predatorial chasse-a-tude.

Always look to evolutionary biology for the answer.

An Yael, I'm not dumb...It's just more fun to spend money on strippers than slot machines. Conversational quality is similar however.

Yael Grauer
06-11-2007, 10:57 AM
An Yael, I'm not dumb...It's just more fun to spend money on strippers than slot machines. Conversational quality is similar however.

LOL. Well, I enjoyed chatting with the strippers I met, who all congregate in the women's bathroom. (Would love to hear the evolutionary biology spin on that.) They were all laughing at how guys say women are teases and will spend a small fortune to be teased. But my favorite one-liner was when one guy asked this chick if they were real, and she said "yes, as real as my undying love for you." He bought a dance. :eek:

Anyways, I hope y'all enjoyed the article. At the very least, there's a diagram of a foot in heels to drool over, for free. :D It's not clear plastic, however. Sorry about that...

Jamila Bey
06-12-2007, 01:38 AM
Ummm.

Robb... I really think you should either go out more, or not go out at all.

I can't tell.

Robb Wolf
06-13-2007, 06:20 AM
Ummm.

Robb... I really think you should either go out more, or not go out at all.

I can't tell.

It's a stumper for me too...whatcha doing friday night?:)

kevin mckay
06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Heels are a walk in the park compared to this...

http://hvattum.net/index.php/2007/05/19/chinese-foot-binding/

Holly crap!

Jamila Bey
06-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Well Robb, for you- I'm doing whatever you say. As long as it's low key and involves my getting enough rest for the game the next day...

Robb Wolf
06-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Well Robb, for you- I'm doing whatever you say. As long as it's low key and involves my getting enough rest for the game the next day...

Not bloody likely!

Brad Hirakawa
06-14-2007, 01:52 PM
"....fulfill the necessary duty of relieving dumb men of their money"

Which is why I always tip with counterfeit bills. In the dim light, it is almost impossible to tell.

Except Amy.. ahhh Amy. We only dated for six weeks, but I'll always remember the time she played ______ _____ while wearing strappy high heels and a _______ around her ______ and that cute little dance she did while ______ ____ ____ ______ ___ ______ ______ ____ _____ followed by a nice cup of tea under a peach tree.

Chris Forbis
06-14-2007, 03:01 PM
I love Madlibs!

James R. Climer
06-14-2007, 03:50 PM
It's just more fun to spend money on strippers than slot machines...

or the wife perhaps?

Mike ODonnell
06-14-2007, 03:52 PM
It's just more fun to spend money on strippers.....or the wife perhaps?

I think the strippers are alot cheaper in the long run........

James R. Climer
06-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Not to mention the magnitude increase in
fun.

James R. Climer
06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
I have to admit though that I find
high heeled shoes ridiculous.

Especially in a waterbed.

Robb Wolf
06-15-2007, 06:43 AM
I have to admit though that I find
high heeled shoes ridiculous.

Especially in a waterbed.

Seriously.

Jamila Bey
06-15-2007, 11:54 PM
High heels are perfectly acceptable in the waterbed! You keep the heels pointing toward the ceiling, and things go just fine.

**Must I spell out EVERYTHING**
:D

Troy Kerr
08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Excuse me for getting a little off topic regarding strippers and what not, but does anyone believe that this article might apply to the ever popular nike shox as well?

Steven Low
08-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Excuse me for getting a little off topic regarding strippers and what not, but does anyone believe that this article might apply to the ever popular nike shox as well?
Shoes with a lot of padding, in general, are not very good.

Allen Yeh
08-19-2009, 10:13 AM

Not recommended, I used to love the look of the Shox but now I know that looks aren't everything when it comes to footwear.

Brandon Oto
09-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I applaud the necromancy. This is one of the better threads.

Emily Mattes
09-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Last week I did heavy squats and deadlifts, then later that night wore 3-4'' heels to go dancing. It was . . . not wise.

Brandon Oto
09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
We'll need pics to judge.

Allen Yeh
09-16-2009, 12:06 PM
A new article in the NY Times:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/30/business/30shoe.html?_r=1

Allen Yeh
09-29-2009, 05:34 PM
Another "study":
http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/PainNews/high-heel-shoes-linked-foot-pain/story?id=8702423

Leslie Poole
12-21-2009, 10:13 PM
My thoughts on heels:

The more they hurt, the cuter they must be.

If you walk funny in heels, you need to learn to walk in heels. Or quit wearing them.

(Yea, yea, I know they aren't good for my feet, etc. Neither is chocolate.)

Yael Grauer
12-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Chocolate is bad for your feet?

Heels are the modern day corsette. Luckily all the men in my life don't care that I don't wear them.

Leslie Poole
12-28-2009, 10:34 AM
Hm, I meant chocolate isn't good for me, in general. Not sure what it would do for my feet.

Scott Kustes
12-29-2009, 05:54 AM
Depends on how much you rub on them and who licks it off.