PDA

View Full Version : Resveratrol

Nick Cummings
06-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Any thoughts or experience on resveratrol? Research seems to suggest positive effects in animal experiments. Additionally many of those who have done the research publicly claim to be using it althought they add the standard disclaimer that it is too early to advice people to use it.

Steve Shafley
06-12-2007, 07:11 PM
IIRC: Problems with getting it to the right places.

Robb Wolf
06-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Yea...it looks legit but it is very fat soluble...tough to get a spike in blood concentrations.

folks are working on ways around this however.

Garrett Smith
06-13-2007, 07:17 AM
They should compound it with phosphatidylcholine, as in Siliphos (silybin from milk thistle bound to PC). That gets blood levels of that compound much higher, for much longer.

Nick Cummings
06-22-2007, 12:16 PM
Interesting. Could someone provide a reference so I can read up on it?

Garrett Smith
06-24-2007, 05:40 PM
Nick,
Simply google "Siliphos study". Should give you plenty.

Nick Cummings
06-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Garret. That search gave me some interesting reading but none of it on resveratrol's fat solubility. I did find the following abstract which seems to somewhat answer my question.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=15333514&query_hl=60&itool=pubmed_docsum

Robb Wolf
06-25-2007, 04:46 PM
It's another thing...perhaps a little intermittent fasting, a little ketosis, a little exercise and a little resveretrol all add up to big benefit?

Garrett Smith
06-26-2007, 06:47 AM
Sorry, I thought you had meant more info on Siliphos. My bad. Hope you found more of what you were looking for...

One thing I think is highly underestimated, and seemingly pointed out in the abstract you posted, is that not all substances have to get into the blood (in their original form, intact, or at all) to make huge differences in health.

Yvana van den Hork
06-27-2007, 07:13 AM
They should compound it with phosphatidylcholine, as in Siliphos (silybin from milk thistle bound to PC). That gets blood levels of that compound much higher, for much longer.

Interesting. Just by chance I've been taking this
- 2 caps of krill oil (phospholipid based omega3s) along with
- 2 caps of a superstack of resveratrol (Purple STAC) containing 125mg resv per cap (250mg total)
for a period of now nearly 9 months.

Yet, the best fat loss when I also combined this with regular fish oil , approx. 2-3 grams of EPA/DHA combined.

I've resumed the 'big ass' fish oil intake.

However, some clients of us have reported decent fat loss by using Purple STAC as a stand-alone, but then by using 4 caps/day. Even though it's our own supp, I'm too cheap for this and rather enhance the effect by adding extra omega3s.

Interestingly, the most eager customers aren't people looking for fat loss, but for competitive cyclists looking for enhanced performance.

TomFurman
07-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Vit C that is fat soluable is Ascorbyl Palmitate. Can a company do a similar number on Resveratrol?
I notice higher dosages available at Life Extension near me in Ft. Lauderdale.

--Tom

Garrett Smith
07-27-2007, 05:04 PM
Compounding it into a suppository would likely increase the bioavailability many fold...

Liz Neufeldt
01-06-2009, 08:37 AM
Resveratrol is still pretty early in the research stage, so there of course isn't really enough to make recommendations yet at this point. Although it's not yet FDA approved, many people are using resveratrol (http://www.seacoastvitamins.com/topic.php?health=resveratrol) as a daily supplement for anti-aging properties, heart disease protection, testosterone enhancement, and it's being explored for cancer treatment as well. So far it seems to have a pretty wide range of uses, and many people are happy with its effectiveness, although absorption remains a bit of an issue.

Scott Kustes
01-06-2009, 10:08 AM
I get mine in liquid form. :D

Arien Malec
01-06-2009, 09:24 PM
I get mine in liquid form. :D

Damn straight. Paleo man liked his fermented fruits. Epidemiological studies support Rhone style blends as the superior delivery mechanism.

Craig Lee
04-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Very interesting

I saw something about Reservatrol (http://myreservatrol.com/) on Oprah the other day.

George Mounce
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Very interesting

I saw something about this on Oprah the other day.

Ouch a first post and mentioning Oprah...and being a guy. 2 strikes already! :p