PDA

View Full Version : Cauliflower Ear

Sam Cannons
06-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Okay i have been rolling for a while but just recently started to get some inflamation in my left ear that looks suspicously like cauliflower ear. It has only just came up in the last few days and i was wondering if any one had any advice on getting rid of it ? I have heard of people draining the fluid, is there any truth to this, has any one had any experience ??

Thankyou

Sam In Aus

Robb Wolf
06-13-2007, 03:00 PM
Yep...a trip to the doc...or someone you trust wielding a syringe and needle to drain the fluid. Ice and rest can help but once it is angry its tough not get it going again.

Time for head gear perhaps.

John Vernon
06-13-2007, 03:13 PM
move to the states...you get like 10-15% off your purchase at On the Mat Fight Shop for showing your fresh cauliflower ear.

what? it's an idea...

Joe Hart
06-13-2007, 06:14 PM
I have heard that packing stuff around the inside of your ear after it is drained helps. Gives it some shape back. I wrestled and dodged that bullet by wearing headgear. They have some close fitting stuff out there. Prevention is the key.

kevin mckay
06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
Yeah, get it drained... I thought it was cool at first now I cant use the little in ear ipod head phones and the shit is hard as rock :(

PS
Anybody ever get it scraped out after is solidifies? I am guessing pain and lots of stitches.

Allen Yeh
06-14-2007, 03:35 AM
From the wiki:
Cauliflower ear or hematoma auris or perichondrial hematoma is a condition most common among wrestlers. However, rugby players, mixed martial artists (many of whom were wrestlers prior to their MMA careers), and boxers also experience this condition. If the external portion of the ear suffers a blow, a blood clot or other fluid may collect under the perichondrium. This separates the cartilage from the overlying perichondrium that is its source of nutrients, causing the cartilage to die. When this happens, the outer ear becomes permanently swollen and deformed, thus resembling a Cauliflower.

Headgear that protects the ears is worn in wrestling, many martial arts and other contact sports to help prevent this condition.

[edit] Treatment

When fluid collection in the outer ear occurs, it is important to contact a doctor immediately and have it treated. The doctor will evacuate the fluid and apply a compressing tie to the outer ear to reconnect the perichondrium and the cartilage. The compressing tie must be left in place for some time, generally 10 days, to prevent the fluid from building up again. The outer ear is prone to infections, so antibiotics are usually prescribed. If the pressure is left alone without medical intervention, the ear can suffer very serious damage. Pressure can build up and eventually rupture the ear drum. When this occurs, the ear may further wrinkle, and can become slightly pale; hence the common term 'Cauliflower Ear'. Should the ear drum rupture, the only treatment option is to heal the existing wound with stiches. Even with treatment, significant hearing loss may occur. Today, cosmetic procedures are available which can greatly improve the appearance of the ear, even though internal damage will persist.

Sam Cannons
06-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Well i got it drained this arvo and had to CLX my dinner plan's because i am now sitting in front of the computer with a huge bandage around my head, but it was easy as and now i can still use my ipod.

Thanks every one

Sam In Aus