PDA

View Full Version : Best wrist wraps for olympic lifting

Rick Deckart
06-19-2007, 11:55 AM
I am looking for good wrist wraps for olympic lifting and/or more specifically for the overhead squat. Any recommendations?

Steve Shafley
06-20-2007, 11:42 AM
I'd probably go with any powerlifting equipment manufacturer's short or medium length wrist wraps unless you really need a lot of support, then go with the long.

Titan, Inzer....they are all basically the same.

Rick Deckart
06-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Thanks Steve, I thought about 50--60cm long wraps mostly for my next overhead squat cycle were I will put a lot overhead for high reps. Is a thumb loop really necessary? Never used wraps...

Steve Shafley
06-20-2007, 11:53 AM
In PL, you use the thumb loop to help keep it in place while you wrap the wrist, then you take the thumb out of the loop and tuck the loop under a bit of wrap out of the way.

Derek Simonds
06-20-2007, 02:12 PM
I have never used wraps before what benefit do you expect to get using them with over head squats?

Thanks, Derek

Rick Deckart
06-21-2007, 02:31 AM
Derek,

during my next OHS cycle I will use some considerable volume over a relatively short time-span, say 100--120 tons during 4--5 weeks; have to calculate that. But some sessions will be in excess of 12 tons and that is just the worksets and only the OHS... It is just some precaution with respect to overuse...

Steve Shafley
06-21-2007, 05:59 AM
Not a lot of tissue around the wrists to support them, it's all tendon and bone. I've seen quite a few OLs tape their wrists before every session. The wrist wraps will probably function in a similar fashion to help support and protect the joint.

Derek Simonds
06-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Got it.

Greg Everett
06-22-2007, 05:33 PM
i would caution against wrist wraps or tape unless absolutely necessary. tends to change the position of the wrist, which then leads to problems in the hands, elbows and/or shoulders. so i would say if you're concerned about the volume, spend more time progressing to that volume to condition the joints. tons of stretching, mobility and ICE.

Rick Deckart
07-18-2007, 12:34 PM
I bought 50cm titan titanium (http://www.titansupport.com/products/wraps/wraps.htm) wrist wraps and I like them. I only use these for the top weights during quadruple Jerks and here they do help, not so much support-wise but via keeping the wrist warm and giving some feedback...