PDA

View Full Version : huge meals during IF and insulin

kevin mckay
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Sears says avoid eating over 6 blocs at any meal to avoid spiking insulin, during IF I often go WAY over 6 blocks is this a concern?

so 2 meals during 4-6 hr window each meal with:
protein 50-70g
fat 50-90g
cho 20-40g

Mike ODonnell
06-25-2007, 07:56 PM
Sears is promoting an eating schedule all day long over 12-16 hours with 6 meals......as compared to IF eating in a 4-6 hr window and having zero insulin response the other 18-16 hours.....don't sweat it....not the same

Troy Archie
06-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Have you noticed anything detrimental thus far?

When you're coming out of the fast your bodies going have an insulin spike regardless of meal size and there's nothing wrong or bad about that insulin spike either. What you want to worry about is CRONICLY high insulin levels that will lead to insulin resistance and eventually diabetes and then all sorts of other fun stuff. When IF'n you have zero insulin in your blood (no food, no sugar, no insulin. maybe trace amounts...) essentially giving your system a rest from the hormonal bath that comes when eating sugar.

Bo Bolund
06-26-2007, 06:20 AM
My eating window is usually just one meal in 1 hour so I don't worry about insulin spikes, I just try to eat healthy.

Garrett Smith
06-26-2007, 07:04 AM
One (or two) insulin "peaks" during the day on Paleo foods is a whole lot better than six insulin "spikes" with non-Paleo and/or higher carbs...

kevin mckay
06-26-2007, 09:49 AM
I figured as much, just curios really.

Greg Battaglia
06-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Kevin, I've never gotten lab tests done to actually confirm this, but going by feel, I can be pretty damn sure. I used to follow the WD as it was originally prescribed: One huge meal, eat as much as you want, feast. I usually was able to finish my meal in one hour flat and feel full. The result? I ended up with awful heartburn (despite strict compliance to Paleo foods) , major aggravation to my mitral valve prolapse, the inability to really do anything even remotely physical afterward (even walking!), and trouble sleeping. Once I increased the feeding window to about 6 hours (sometimes even more) and ate more lightly but with more meals in that window I saw a major improvement. Huge meals are NEVER EVER good for your body, despite what Ori Hofmekler might think. I really don't think that in a true evolutionary context H/G's would completely gorge after a fast. Usually they fast for a day or so, then eat plentifully for a few days before food becomes scarce again. Although it may sound "romantic", as Ori puts it, the idea of fasting all day and then completely GORGING is not in line with our genetic blue print. I think a much better pattern is a 2 day cycle. Fasting on day 1 until about 6 PM, eating a moderate meal, then rising on day two and eating plentifully throughout the day, then repeating the cycle. Or even a 2 on/1 off pattern. Eat plentifully for 2 days, fast for one total. If your really set on the WD model (which is convenient, I must admit) You could simply adopt a CR variant in which you eat a semi-large meal at night, but definitely not gorge or overeat, yielding a mild CR (That is if you don't care about maintaining bodyweight, of course). Just my experience, I find that huge meals do nothing but wreck my health. See what works for you.

kevin mckay
06-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Luckily I feel great eating this way in regards to energy and no stomach upset at all so guess I will keep at it maybe do 3 meals in my window rather than 2.

Thanks

Bo Bolund
06-28-2007, 02:05 AM
Have you noticed anything detrimental thus far?

When you're coming out of the fast your bodies going have an insulin spike regardless of meal size and there's nothing wrong or bad about that insulin spike either. What you want to worry about is CRONICLY high insulin levels that will lead to insulin resistance and eventually diabetes and then all sorts of other fun stuff. When IF'n you have zero insulin in your blood (no food, no sugar, no insulin. maybe trace amounts...) essentially giving your system a rest from the hormonal bath that comes when eating sugar.

So true... I couldn't have said it better :D