PDA

View Full Version : Celebrex new @*$!'n ad

Mike ODonnell
06-25-2007, 07:52 PM
I just saw this ad on TV today and had to say....."What the &#%@ is this??? Are you kidding me??...." Then a mixture of laughing and crying at the realization of modern health and advertising today.....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7GvYI4VdVEI

Ron Nelson
06-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I generally won't take a prescription drug unless it has desirable side effects like intestinal bleeding and anal leakage. Celebrex just weakens the heart muscle.

Dave Van Skike
06-25-2007, 10:24 PM
western medicine has solid claim on two universaly good things

...antiseptic and synthetic opiods..everything else is basically engineering` better ways of cutting you open to remove offending bits and then really outstanding marketing.

William Hunter
06-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Ron, no worries. They have prescription drugs for intestinal bleeding and anal leakage as well. It's quite simple, we hypo the hyper, then hyper the hypo, hypo the hyper and so on and so on.

I actually work in a multi-disciplinary chronic spine and pain center. I can vouch for how "good" the opiods are. We have to conduct random urine drug screens, pill counts etc to make sure the patients not only don't take too much, but are actually taking the pills vs selling them to their neighbors kids for a hefty profit.

Sad...

Ken Urakawa
06-26-2007, 05:05 AM
I generally won't take a prescription drug unless it has desirable side effects like intestinal bleeding and anal leakage. Celebrex just weakens the heart muscle.

Well, heck, you don't even need a prescription for anal leakage now!
http://www.myalli.com/howdoesitwork/treatmenteffects.aspx

"The excess fat that passes out of your body is not harmful. In fact, you may recognize it as something that looks like the oil on top of a pizza."

Now that's advertising!

Garrett Smith
06-26-2007, 06:58 AM
I like how it was stated as a badge of accomplishment that Celebrex "hasn't been taken off the market yet".

So many of my classmates from high school are drug reps now...I wonder how many of them sleep at night.

Greg Everett
06-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I like how it was stated as a badge of accomplishment that Celebrex "hasn't been taken off the market yet".

seriously... that is a sad state of affairs.

Mike ODonnell
06-26-2007, 05:22 PM
So many of my classmates from high school are drug reps now...I wonder how many of them sleep at night.

Probably in a big house with a new BMW, nonworking wife with expensive shopping tastes, 2 kids...one house payment away from bankruptcy....irony will be in several years when they need all their own meds because of what their lifestyle will lead them too....unless they can escape that corporate trap....

Funny...as it is on TV again...pictures of people riding bikes and dancing while the background says "warning you may have liver or heart failure.."...but all I remember is the happy people walking in the park...Hmmmmmmm.....marketing done right....I guess the guy falling dead in the park is not the visual they want for their ads....

Scott Kustes
06-27-2007, 04:49 AM
MOD, you must've missed the last few seconds where the guy rode his bike into a lake due to heart failure.

Ron Nelson
06-27-2007, 12:46 PM
You know if I were more juvenile in my thoughts and deeds, I would have answered the question; "How do they sleep at nights?" with "With your mom."

Good thing I've grown up.

William Hunter
06-27-2007, 01:18 PM
3-5 vodka martinis with an Ambien chaser

Billy_Brummel
06-27-2007, 02:53 PM
That was THE LONGEST commercial I have ever seen. But seriously, it would be awesome if everything were made of words. OK maybe not everything, but I would like my dog to be made of words.

Yael Grauer
06-27-2007, 07:33 PM
3-5 vodka martinis with an Ambien chaser

For a second there I thought I was on the "breakfast" thread.

Paul Findley
06-27-2007, 08:03 PM
One time while waiting for a script at the grocery store, I was thumbing through the book 'o drugs at the counter. Just some of the popular ones, maybe Prozac for instance. The list of side effects was CRAZY. It seemed all the really "good" ones, maybe measured by degree of marketing, had the longest list of side effects. I remember thinking dayam, the only reason to take this shit is so if you can quit, you will feel so much better. There were multiple pages of issues that could happen as you reap the benefits of screwing up your brain chemistry.

Ken Urakawa
06-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Tom Cruise could fix 'em all up in about 2 hours...

William Hunter
06-28-2007, 04:13 AM
It's sad, but often I get referrals for manual therapy from the primary care docs only after a trial of Celebrex has been tried. Very frustrating. This one lady recounted a story that she'd been on it for only a few days, and had actually been feeling better. This excitement lasted until one morning she got up to pee and filled the bowl with blood. A few days of Celebrex had given her a nasty GI bleed. On the upside, these types of experiences let people know they're better off taking charge of their health vs medicating their symptoms away.

BTW her GI tract healed up nicely after stopping the drug.

Ron Nelson
06-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Did you say intestinal bleeding? I'm back on the Celebrex bandwagon.

BTW, I have people close to me on Prozac (I call it vitamin P). It has done wonders for them, but I wish they'd try more fish oil.