PDA

View Full Version : red palm oil

Tony Ferous
06-26-2007, 03:30 AM
Ok, next odd paleo food..anyone tried red palm oil?
It sure looks pretty...

Apparently it 'contains a mixture of saturated fatty acids (51%), monounsaturated fatty acids (38%), polyunsaturated fatty acids (11%) and a whole spectrum of anti-oxidative carotenoids (vitamin A), tocopherols and tocotrienols (vitamin E) as major constituents'
Its the second-most widely produced edible oil, after soybean oil.

Here's a biased source(retailer):
http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/red_palm_oil.htm

I've only seen it sold here in Oz mixed with canola oil, which i ususally avoid.
The mix had 25g omega 6 and 5g omega 3, though which aint too bad though.

Scott Kustes
06-26-2007, 05:21 AM
I get mine from Tropical Traditions and use it for pretty much all of my cooking that takes place in a frying pan (except eggs....it's NASTY with eggs). My wife hates coconut, so I can't cook in coconut oil unless it's just for me, hence palm oil. I like the flavor, though it took some getting used to at first.

Robert Allison
06-26-2007, 06:55 AM
I generally use the Jungle Products red palm oil, but the Tropical Traditions is also good. It has a kind of earthy flavor that I enjoy, but, as Scott noted, it doesn't really work for everything.

I tend use it most often for pork and certain fishes, but it is also nice with beef and chicken.

Garrett Smith
06-26-2007, 06:59 AM
Very high in vitamin E, I know that.

I just use coconut oil, partially because I bought a gallon of it from Green Pastures and I want to use it up before I die...

Tony Ferous
09-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Scott, you LIKE the flavor?? Maybe i need to chagne brand. I got hold of some pure virgin etc etc red palm oil, it doesnt taste so good, nearly makes me gag in fact! Olive oil and coconut are far more palatable, i could eat them by the tableshoop full, but this stuff i dont think so!
I'll try putting it the fridge as it turns semi-liquid on hot days, may stop me spewing!

Scott Kustes
09-03-2007, 02:15 PM
I didn't like the flavor at first, but now I find that it goes well with everything that I cook in it. The key is that I use it for COOKING. I don't just eat it. It is mixed with meat or vegetables and herbs and spices.