View Full Version : after a fast, trouble eating regular?
06-29-2007, 12:01 AM
I do have 2 questions to ask here, but before I do I wanted to say that I can't believe how much info I get from reading the posts here. It's truely unbelievable! Ok, enough ass kissing.
1. I have been really loving IF, the results are great. For the most part I eat from 12-4. My problem is the days I want to eat regular. I prepare an average size meal (Paleo foods, low carb, high fat, mod protein), and am hungry when I'm done. What seems to happen is I eat again, and realize I am a few protein blocks away from eating my daily quota in a 4-6 hour window. (I still use some zone type parameters to keep my diet consistent. Lately 20 block protein, 6 block carbs, too much to count fat.) So, I fast again. It's not like it's a real problem, but, I would like to follow the Intermittent IF protocol, instead of the daily version. I seem to be going daily.
Does this happen to you?
2. Supplementing during IF. I like to take my priobotics before bed (empty stomach), and sometimes drink raw apple cider vinegar. Would this effect insulin? My gut literally tells me it's all good, but, it is clear that you guys are the experts!
06-29-2007, 05:08 AM
1. I was a bit confused after reading this question, so you want to IF on some days and eat regularly on other days but on your other days you are having a hard time eating enough?
2. Probiotics...don't know. ACV is all good, I usually have my ACV+water in the early hours of the morning.
06-29-2007, 07:55 AM
I have trouble eating a normal size meal, because I never feel satisfied. I want to keep eating. that was the problem.
06-29-2007, 09:00 AM
Well, I'm certainly not the expert here but I'll offer my 2 cents. I haven't hardcore Zoned in about 9 years, I found the strict regimentation drove me a bit crazy. I've been IFing for a while now, and like the instinctiveness that it seems to foster in my eating habits. I've tried to have some "normal" days of eating interspersed but I can no longer figure out what's normal. I seem to have lost all desire for any type of AM meal. About 5 days out of the week I cruise through lunch, but once in a while I'll chow down from noon til 8pm. Yesterday one moderately sized meal at 7:30pm got me through the entire day.
From your post I'm thinking that your body is trying to draw you in to a more permanent IF schedule, but your conscious brain is still clinging to the Zone. I personally see a lot of conflict between the Zone and IF. Others may disagree.
BTW, what are your goals: Fat loss, muscle gain, little of both?
Yvana van den Hork
06-29-2007, 10:30 AM
Good points William.
I'm having similar experiences, though my eating style is different, since I made a conscious effort from the start of IF to have 2 meals/day, spaced 12 hrs apart.
The trouble was that while, like you I wanted to eat more frequnetly on lifting days, I'd mostly end up eating too much and automatically wanted to make the day into an IF-pattern so I could still eat plenty at night.
Problem was that my workouts were done in the morning and I'd have the tough choice to
- not eat after lifting and be slightly tired and hungry
- eat after lifting and actually end up being even more tired and hungry, unless I'd eat protein+fats only, and avoid all carbs till night time.
In the end I switched my workouts to the evening and now only have a pre-WO meal (again without carbs, but with extra MCT fats from coconut) and have no problem sticking to the allotted amount of calories.
Saturday, when I can only WO in the morning (gym closes early) has automatically become my cheating days and I eat more. Just as well as they are followed up by 2 IF-days in a row and I eat very little on both Sun- & Monday.
06-29-2007, 12:02 PM
I doubt if the probiotics or vinegar are a problem...not sure what to offer on the satiety issue. Two options: 1-Eat till satisfied. 2-work the hunger a bit.
I can concoct arguments for both approaches...so long as your body comp, energy and performance improves, that is all that matters.
keep us posted.
06-29-2007, 12:55 PM
To answer william's question about goals, 100% performance related. I am not looking to lose BF, or to gain mass.
Robb, I will try and work through some of that hunger, which shouldn't be a problem, after all I am going 20 hrs without food, what's 4 hours between meals!
Again, thanks guys!
06-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Jordan, It would be great to get a performance-related update from you when you draw any conclusions concerning your eating plan(s).
07-02-2007, 04:02 AM
It's easier to fast with only one meal a day and a shorter window, like 22/2 or 23/1. I think you need to eat until your full. I eat until I'm full, usually takes 60 minutes and then I restart my fast.
Your supplements may disturb your fast. Vinegar should be taken with food, especially carbs since it slows down its absorption.
vBulletin v3.6.2, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.