PDA

View Full Version : Caveman Training

Michael Miller
07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g5ns_sean-sherk-caveman-training

Chris Forbis
07-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Cool vid.

Do you know what program it was recorded for?

Michael Miller
07-06-2007, 04:13 PM
UFC All Access

Garrett Smith
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
It was cool.

Watching him constantly adjust his HR strap made me think, "why doesn't he just get one of those handle ones, since they only ask about the HR after each round (not during)?"

It was irritating, I wouldn't put up with it.

Yael Grauer
07-06-2007, 05:58 PM
Great video! Looks like Ross Enamait's stuff.

Now if only someone would put together one like that where the token female actually joins in and does the workout at the end...

Robert Allison
07-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Now if only someone would put together one like that where the token female actually joins in and does the workout at the end...

Might be interesting to see how well she would do, but I doubt Rachelle Leah could hang with the Muscle Shark. ;)

I've caught UFC All Access a couple of times; seems pretty good.

Yael Grauer
07-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Might be interesting to see how well she would do, but I doubt Rachelle Leah could hang with the Muscle Shark. ;)

She could get a little pink sledgehammer!! I think it'd be great. :D

Robb Wolf
07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Pretty legit. I, like the Good Dr. Smith thought the HR monitor was LAME.

Programming point:
Sean is a fighter and performs this type of work 2x per week....NOT 3-on-1-off.

Mike ODonnell
07-07-2007, 10:53 AM
Interesting HIT stuff...5x5-1min full compound explosive movements...all good

HR monitor - agreed LAME.....don't need it

Lame factor II - use of the word "CORE" 2x.....really devalues the good workout.....

Look liked fun...but how did he come up with the word "caveman workout" as it had lots of high tech equipment....no carrying logs....no running from a T-Rex....no hunts.....no quest for fire......shessshhhhh

Garrett Smith
07-07-2007, 01:25 PM
I really liked the rope crawl.

Cheap. Functional. Goes well with the vertical rope.

Neal Winkler
07-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Yeah, and if was really caveman trianing he would of knocked out Rachelle Leah and took her back to his cave.

http://www.tapoutmagazine.com/images/ProductImages/TapoutMagazine/Pages%20from%20TapouT-new_pages%5B1%5D.jpg

Michael Miller
07-08-2007, 05:22 AM
After last night i'm wondering who's going to be able to stop Sherk in that division? Would be cool to see a BJ Penn matchup!

Robb Wolf
07-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Sherk looked Muay impressivo...It would be interesting to get Hermes on a better S&C program...and get the guy off the fejioda!

The Penn match-up would be epic.

Yael Grauer
07-08-2007, 12:03 PM
His conditioning was good, but he didn't finish it!! Maybe they should throw that into his training.

Robert Allison
07-08-2007, 03:26 PM
The Penn match-up would be epic.

Yeah, that would be a great fight, although I got the impression at the end of his fight with Pulver that BJ wanted go back up to welterweight.

I would also like to see Spencer Fisher get a shot at Sherk. His stand-up was very sharp in his fight against Sam Stout. You throw Roger Huerta and perhaps some of the guys from Ultimate Fighter 5 into the mix, and you have the potential for some great lightweight fights.

I missed the fight on Saturday... how were the rest of the fights?

Robb Wolf
07-09-2007, 09:46 AM
All were good IMO...the Nogeira fight was frustrating...I wanted Nogiera to win but when Herring could not capitalize on his opportunity....super frustrating. I think conditioning was an issue.

Mike ODonnell
07-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I think conditioning was an issue.

must of been a lack of using a HR monitor in training......

Rob Harris
08-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Pretty legit. I, like the Good Dr. Smith thought the HR monitor was LAME.

Programming point:
Sean is a fighter and performs this type of work 2x per week....NOT 3-on-1-off.

So CrossFit is too demanding on the body in your opinion? New to the site here and looking for all the info I can get.

John Vernon
08-17-2007, 11:05 AM
CF is great preparation for BJJ/MMA.

In general, combining the traditional CF WOD training schedule, 3 on 1 off, with (for example) a BJJ schedule of 4 days a week would be an overload on your body. BJJ training is a great met-con workout by itself, considering that nearly all academies go through some sort of conditioning/S&C program as part of the class.

I'm not saying that a strict combination couldn't be done with great success but you'd need to place a serious emphasis on nutrition & recovery...basically quit your job and train full time.

Mike ODonnell
08-17-2007, 11:14 AM
So CrossFit is too demanding on the body in your opinion? New to the site here and looking for all the info I can get.

It depends on what your definition of a Xfit workout is...is it 5x5....metcons like Cindy (or any of the other names)...Max Effort stuff...etc..etc....I call XFit workouts the metcon (metabolic conditioning) that last like 20-30 min....usually the stuff that has the names like Cindy, etc. That type of training is great for conditioning....but much like all or any type of training, more is not neccessarily better. I would use the metcon stuff 1-2x a week along with varied strength and skills....and without proper recovery....your training will get you nowhere.

Rob Harris
08-18-2007, 02:43 PM
When I say CrossFit, I mean following the WOD from the main site. I train CrossFit in the early AM, then head off to work as a Network Engineer (sedentary), and then train BJJ 3-4 times a week and Thai Kickboxing 2-3 time a week in the evenings. Saturday is the real ball buster day of MMA @ 8:30, Thai Boxing @ 10, and BJJ from 11-1.

I do find myself in a state of overtraining from time to time, so I have switched from the "Gracie Diet" to the Paleo Diet in an effort to aid in recovery.

John Vernon
08-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Rob, I was referring to the CF main site WOD in my last post. Nutrition is going to be uber-important if that's your preferred training schedule. What's your sleep schedule like? Sleep quality?

Rob Harris
08-20-2007, 11:08 AM
Sleep has been an issue for me for as long as I can remember. I'm lucky to get 5-6 hours a night. On the "over training days" I sometimes crash immediately after work for 15 hours...

Any ideas on improving that? I'm able to get to bed early, just a restless mind keeps me up. I've tried melatonin (nothing) and even Tylenol PM when I was desperate (I hate taking medicine) to no avail.:confused:

John Vernon
08-20-2007, 02:26 PM
"Lights Out: Sleep, Sugar, & Survival" by: Wiley & Formby. pretty much the sleep bible 'round here.

cut out tv before bed (unless you already have). try some dark orange/reddish candles before bedtime to get your body all mellowed for a good nights sleep. get your room REAL dark, so can't even see your hand in front of your face.

restless mind from work or just in general??

Rob Harris
08-20-2007, 06:37 PM
Cool, thanks for the tips and I will look into the book.

Restless mind from work, training, tournament poker, you name it! It doesn't really have any sort of rhyme or reason, I just toss and turn. I do watch TV for a couple hours before bed. It's really the only time I have to watch it, but I can just kill the TV and save the cash...

Brad Hirakawa
08-21-2007, 09:49 PM
" ....get your room REAL dark, so can't even see your hand in front of your face..."

I found this to be very useful over time.

I even considered covering the tritium sigts on my .45

Brad

Rob Harris
08-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Going out to buy the book this afternoon. I have already darkened the bedroom to nearly 100% (just a sliver around the window..) and tried knocking off earlier than normal.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yael Grauer
05-18-2008, 12:14 AM
so if you go to www.kaitlinyoung.com you can see HER caveman training...

omg i so can't wait for her to beat the shit out of gina carano on the 31st

Allen Yeh
05-18-2008, 05:54 AM
so if you go to www.kaitlinyoung.com you can see HER caveman training...

omg i so can't wait for her to beat the shit out of gina carano on the 31st

Go Gina!

Yael Grauer
05-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Go Gina!

She's goin' down!!! :D

Interesting piece:
http://www.fightergirls.com/news.asp?ID=164