PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oil vs. Milk; Brand Preferences?

Nick Cummings
07-11-2007, 07:49 AM
The tittle pretty much says it all. I have heard a lot of good things about coconut products but can not find the difference between milk and oil. Also I have been looking online for a quality product at a reasonable price. The coconut oil seems to come at about $55/gallon. Anyone know of something better? Thanks in advance.

Robb Wolf
07-11-2007, 09:46 AM
Nick-
The gallon is a pretty good price and it will last for ages. If you have an asin grocery nearby you can find good quality, inexpensive coconut milk. The difference is the oil has all the water and plan solids removed...both are great options.

Scott Kustes
07-11-2007, 09:52 AM
Oil = straight fat
Milk = 87% fat, 10% carbs, 3% protein

Nick Cummings
07-11-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks Robb and Scott. I will see if I can't find a local store out here. I looked in a local natural food store and the products they offered did not compare with the pricing available on the internet.

I'm going to assume from your responses that there is not a significant difference between oil and milk beyound the macronutrient distribution.

Scott Kustes
07-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Note: That macro breakdown was just from a quick Google search. Actual breakdown for each individual brand may differ.

Both the oil and milk are largely medium-chain saturated fats. They're really used for different things. You won't be able to down the oil like you can the milk (unless you just enjoy drinking oil). Saute in oil and simmer in milk (or make a shake).

David Aguasca
07-11-2007, 02:56 PM
coconut milk + ironmind just protein + water + cocoa powder = awesome!!!

Allen Yeh
07-12-2007, 05:26 AM
The coconut milk I get from Trader Joes per serving and 5 servings per can:
5g fat
trace protein
trace carbohydrates

$0.99 per can I typically go through 3-5 cans per week.

Troy Archie
07-12-2007, 12:43 PM
And even coconut cream and milk will have different macro levels. Milk is just more watered down.