PDA

View Full Version : Blenders

Paul Findley
07-12-2007, 01:44 PM
I found a thread on blenders that lead me to the Blendtec and the associated internet phenomenon: willitblend.com (www.willitblend.com)

Any thoughts on this product? After surfing around I started to get a bad infomercial vibe.

Why would I consider dropping $400 on a blender...I am not too sure I will. I do know that I have already spent $40 and that one broke and I threw it out, and $80 and its going to break when it stalls out on a frozen strawberry again. We have already replaced the blade once for $10.

The total cost of ownership of a more commercial product has got to be lower.

Paul Findley
07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
...plus the thought of having a blender with 4x the hp than my garbage disposal just seems right.

Brad Hirakawa
07-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Paul,

I can only say that my last two walmart specials died, and died fast.

I'm running an Oster now that has two speeds; Off, and puree a concrete brick. The bottom of the unit weighs as much as a medium kettle bell and cost about as much.

For a while I have judged the quality of my electrical appliances by their weight, and it seems to work. Amplifiers, blenders, toasters, ammunition (Freudian slip), computers, cameras.... heavy = good. Very scientific, I know.

Fortunately, some savvy marketing guy in China has not recommended lead weights in their goods.

For what it is worth, I have in fact pureed a whole rat.

Brad

Paul Findley
07-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks Brad...I am not sure what it weighs, but at 3 HP its got to have some heft :-) Rat Pate'?

Here is the reply to me from the guy from the other thread:

"I'd definitely rank the blender as one of the most worthwhile purchases I've ever made. I use it literally almost every day and it has never let me down. I also own a Vitamix and the Blendtec beats it hands down."

Garrett Smith
07-14-2007, 11:51 AM
I have a Champ HP3 from K-Tec. It's the same one that is used in many of the smoothie places.

It kicks butt. When I bought it it was $400.

I also have an Osterizer from Target that works well, I use Ball jars screwed into the base with it. It's good for daily use--one jar gets dirty, that jar can then go in the dishwasher, and then the base/blade/washer get rinsed so you're good to go the next shake.

I will say I wouldn't test the Osterizer with much, and the motor-heating-up smell doesn't fill me with confidence when it happens.