PDA

View Full Version : Quinoa

Brian Shanks
07-24-2007, 10:21 AM
Did a search and couldn't find anything, so, is it a grain or is it a veggie?
IE..does it have the horrible lectins that other grains have?

Anybody tried it?
Did you make any breads out of it?

Thanks

Bri

Garrett Smith
07-24-2007, 11:24 AM
It's a "grain-like" seed.

More info: http://www.quinoa.com/faq/quinoa.html

I've used the quinoa flakes (think the quinoa equivalent of rolled oats) to make something like an oatmeal. It's relatively bland--it can be made into a sweet or salty dish (or anything else you'd like it to taste like). I used blueberries, stevia, cinnamon, and butter the last time.

I have not made bread out of it.

Robb Wolf
07-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Botanically a fruit if I remember...carb impact similar to brown rice.

Brian Shanks
07-26-2007, 06:54 AM
My post wasn't real clear.
I did google search and found stuff, meant I searched on here and didn't find any info already about it.

I will assume then that since it is considered a fruit, it doesn't contain the lectins and is paleo friendly.

Thanks

Bri

Robb Wolf
07-26-2007, 10:05 AM
Well...it does have a fraction that causes cross reactivity with celiac...interesting in that it is not in the family grasses.

Honestly I just wanted the topic to go away...it's been a while since the Paleo Zealot topic has been brought up but my spider sense are tingling...

Quinoa also contains saponins that act as anti-nutrients and need to be rinsed prior to consumption...so, I'd treat it like brown rice. If you want/need a dense carb source with relatively little nutritive value (as compared to fruit, veggies and lean meats)...go for it. It's yummy when prepared properly but I'd (personally) not make it a staple.