PDA

View Full Version : This is entertaining

kevin mckay
07-25-2007, 07:25 PM
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn12343&feedId=online-news_rss20

Mike ODonnell
07-25-2007, 07:46 PM
I once caught obesity through a chat room....one of the many reasons my lawyer has told me to refrain from going ever again.....

Yael Grauer
07-25-2007, 08:55 PM
I think it's interesting. I've read studies with similar trends in everything from dropout rates to becoming a millionaire: very strong correlation with the status of your closest friends or those around you. I guess that's why it's all the more important to build a strong support network.

It's funny, because I was just talking about the same thing with my writing partner. She was an alcoholic and she said when she quit drinking she saw differences in everyone in her entire family. The idea of making positive changes in order to influence people I am close to really resonates for me, as I tend to stick to goals more if I feel like they can really help make a difference in the lives of others OR if I feel really supported in making changes. Pretty cool stuff.

Allen Yeh
07-26-2007, 03:37 AM
Interesting, on the radio around here this morning they were talking about this study and one of the guys on the show is going to "divorce" his obese/overweight friends. Sheesh.

So which one of us will be the first millionaire to get the ball rolling? heh.

Derek Simonds
07-26-2007, 07:50 AM
I'll take the lead on the millionaire thingy :). I am willing to make the sacrifice if that is what it takes for the group.

I am sitting in the airport in LA waiting for a flight and I just read an article about obesity in social groups. I found it really interesting.

Yael I can totally relate to your friend. My dad was a heavy drinker and so was the entire family. He had to quit drinking last year because of health issues and it has changed our entire family (for the better).