PDA

View Full Version : Creatine suggestions

Elliot Royce
08-08-2007, 06:49 AM
I need a simple way to take in creatine. I don't really have time to mix it with water. Does liquid creatine work? Or capsules? Or chews? Any specific brands?

Thanks,

Elliot

Mike ODonnell
08-08-2007, 07:48 AM
I'm pretty simplistic and believe most of the creatine marketing is hype....not sure why you don't have time to mix in water? Add in scoop...add water...stir and drink quick. Or just insert tablespoon of powder in mouth, wash down with water....done that before.

You may get different opinions but I still say stick with the most name brand powder you can find, stay away from these other chews/liquids etc as it's probably all hype and fillers...knowing a guy who used to sell the stuff to other manufacturers so they could private label it and mark it up....it's all the same crap. I'm no chemist but I do know all the marketing BS in the industry. Save your money.

Elliot Royce
08-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Mike:

I suppose you're right that I can mix it. It's just that in the am I run out the door to take the train. I hadn't really thought about taking it at night. Any reason not to take it before bed?

Elliot

John Alston
08-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Elliot, I take it in my post workout shake of 1 scoop whey, 1 scoop gatorade powder. On non-training days, I just get it in when I can, if I remember (been bad lately). But the PWO pre-mix is good for both timing and ease.

Mike ODonnell
08-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Mike:

I suppose you're right that I can mix it. It's just that in the am I run out the door to take the train. I hadn't really thought about taking it at night. Any reason not to take it before bed?

Elliot

I don't buy into the timing of it either...kind of like the loading phase...just take it daily when you can...you will see the improvements....one of the more nerdy people can probably explain the whole delivery system of creatine in the blood....I think once it's in your system it finds the way into the muscle without needing to be postworkout insulin spike type of stuff....not sure, but I take mine just whenever I remember to....

Allen Yeh
08-08-2007, 08:14 AM
When I take creatine, I'd just add the scoop of creatine with my post workout shake and then add water when I'm all done.

On non workout days I'd just take it in the morning.

Robb Wolf
08-08-2007, 01:43 PM
Cheap...1/2 kg size. 1tsp tossed down the hatch, chased with water. Simple, cheap, done.

Jay Cohen
08-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Rob;
You take Creatine?

Robb Wolf
08-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Occasionally. I'll work my way through a can and then forget about it for 6 months. I'm a non-responder...no performance boost for me but i think it has other health benefits.

LOOOONG thread here somewhere on that and loads over at CF.

Allison Barns
08-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Occasionally. I'll work my way through a can and then forget about it for 6 months. I'm a non-responder...no performance boost for me but i think it has other health benefits.

Robb,
What do you mean here by "non-responder?" And would that be just to creatine or to various supplements?
Please point me in the right direction if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Thanks!

Jay Cohen
08-12-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks Rob for the reply.

Greg Everett
08-12-2007, 09:25 PM
elliot - you can try taking it at night. may increase growth hormone levels - BUT I've found that if I take it before bed, I'm up 2-3 times to piss during the night. Higher gH levels are cool, but I think the problems of interrupted sleep eclipse any small increase you'll see. can you just fill a smaller empty capsule bottle with a few heaps and cart it with you?

allison - good % of the population see absolutely zero results from creatine. maybe 25% of folks get a legit response. doesn't do anything for me either.

Aimee Anaya Everett
08-12-2007, 11:45 PM
i use prolab, creatine monohydrate powder. you can buy it from vitacost.com.
I take 1 scoop (approx 5 grams) every night before i go to bed. I scoop it up, stick it in my mouth, take a drink of water and swish it around for a second, then swallow it. easy, fast, and does the job.
I don't pee all night because of it like greg does.
and creatine really helps me. as greg says, some respond, some don't. I think it is fabulous.

if you have a hard time remembering, as I use to, stick the creatine next to the other supplements you take at night. so when you grab your glutamine, steroids, or fish oil, or eye cream, or whatever, then the creatine is right there and you wont forget. just a thought.

Kevin Perry
08-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Hmm I've been thinking about trying creatine as well.

Allison Barns
08-13-2007, 09:13 PM
allison - good % of the population see absolutely zero results from creatine. maybe 25% of folks get a legit response. doesn't do anything for me either.

Greg,
Thanks for the repsonse on that. I wonder if it's creatine specific or if people's responses/non-responses to other supplements combine with it and/or or run in trends. I'm thinking along the lines of fish oil .... some people report 'miracles' within days of starting it. I thought it wasn't helping me, until I ran out of it and didn't get any more of it, and a few weeks later I was achy as crap. As with several supplements, I don't notice a great positive effect, but after a while I notice something if I don't take it.

Tony Ferous
10-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Is the micronized creatine any better the normal stuff?
Just bought some iron-tek stuff, i dont normally buy brands im not familiar with, it doesnt say where it was made(ie china vs germany), its not 'creapure' but it is hpcl tested al least. $20 for 500g.

Scotty Hagnas
10-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I grew like crazy the first time that I tried it years ago - like 10 lbs in a week. (just cell volume, of course) Nothing ever since. I do think it still improves my work capacity a bit, though. I toss it down at night w/water.