PDA

View Full Version : white spots on nails

Nikki Young
08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Hey!

I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how i can get rid of these white spots i have on the majority of my finger nails (non on my toe nails). They have been there for years now and from what i have read they can be caused from trauma/brusing, which i don't believe is the case, considering i've had them for so long and they grow out and come back again in different spots. Also a few years ago (before i started to change up my diet into a paleo approach) i took synthetic zinc tablets for months as i was told they could be caused from a zinc deficiency, and that didn't help either so i stopped taking them. For about the last month, i've been taking grainfields probiotics regularly and generally more then the recomended dose of 1tbs or so, just to help boost me up from not having any probiotics for.. well, ever really. As i've read these spots could be a cause from a fungal like infection or something, i'm thinking maybe the probiotics should help relieve that? Maybe it will take longer to find out if it is a fungal problem and probiotics will eventually help.

I believe my diet is fairly good, i know it's not optimal, but i have a diet rich in F&V, good fats (lots of nuts, olive oil, meat, coconut oil and fish oil), i eat a paleo diet, although my only real down-fall to that is having the weekly chocolate hit. I have been getting vitmains and minerals from my diet as well as from a whole food suppliment i take, so i would presume that from nearly 2years of having a solid diet in that sence would have stopped any vitmain or mineral deficiency i might have. Although then again, it could be something like a copper deficiency, i know my mum has a copper deficiency which was (if i remember correctly) brought on by our plumbing system for our tap water (which sometimes takes like chlorine it's really bad..).

Anyway, would love some suggestions on how to get rid of them, mainly i'm concerned because they have been there so long and i want to have good health, and if by these white dots some area of my health is letting me down, i want to cover it.

Robb Wolf
08-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Hey Amiga!
This is a reach but i seem to remember this being and issue with zinc deficiency...do some google searches along that line.

Only found this on pubmed:
1: JAMA. (javascript:AL_get(this, 'jour', 'JAMA.');) 1974 Apr 8;228(2):157.Links (javascript:PopUpMenu2_Set(Menu4406041);)
Letter: Fingernail white spots: possible zinc deficiency.

Pfeiffer CC (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Pfeiffer%20CC%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus), Jenney EH (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=Search&Term=%22Jenney%20EH%22%5BAuthor%5D&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus).
PMID: 4406041 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
more in google....

Nikki Young
08-12-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks Robb!
How should i go about getting enough zinc if it is a sign i am deficient?
As i said above, i've taken syntetic zinc sups for months and had no results in the nails clearing up.

Have you had a chance to check out my book yet??

Steve Liberati
08-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I always heard white spots on your nails was from a calcium defiency. Could be wrong though...

Nikki Young
08-12-2007, 07:27 PM
That was what i first heard it was Steve.
It could be that too.. when i was younger i was the biggest milk nazi, i would have 1ltr or more of milk a day.. maybe it's messed with my calcium absorption or something... that can't be good :o

Nikki Young
08-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on how i can get my zinc boosted up?
Apart from the syntetic sups which i've tried and have had no benefit.

Yael Grauer
08-16-2007, 06:46 PM
What kind of zinc are you taking? I know Robb doesn't believe in metabolic typing, but in my experience and anecdotal research :) each metabolic type needs different proportions of nutrients which come in different compounds. Zinc picolinate and zinc oxide for example are totally different and if you're taking the wrong one for your type it may not work as well.

Other than that, make sure you are not drinking tea or anything with tannins when taking your zinc. Oxalic acid (like in spinach) and phytic acid (grains) makes it harder to absorb, I think I recall too much calcium as hindering absorption as well... protein increases absorption--so more meat, less grains.

Jonas Lind
08-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Didnt have anything of value....

Garrett Smith
08-18-2007, 04:55 PM
Nikki,
I have recently increased my zinc intake to 75mg/day, and my white spots seem to be gone for good.

I'm using a liquid zinc sulfate (5mg/drop) and I'm testing my zinc sufficiency (with an oral zinc tally liquid) every week or two. Still not near sufficiency, however, I judge that my testosterone levels are significantly elevated from before (along with the disappearance of the white spots).

I have the drops from the same company as the SSKI we discussed. Let me know if you'd like some. It's not listed in my store.

For anyone reading, don't just go taking 75mg zinc willy-nilly, please.

Tony Ferous
08-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Garrett,

How did you 'judge that your testosterone levels were elevated'?

I was marginally zinc deficient(according to zinc tally) despite years of supps, i currently used ZMA(zinc aspartate), i previously used picolinate, supposedly good absorption too.

Grazie...

Garrett Smith
08-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Tony,
I judged that by my libido, morning erection, and ease of gaining muscularity (since I don't lift to get hyoooge). Also by my recovery ability.

Have you ever retested your zinc tally test?

I had the white spots forever until I did a lot of zinc...

Tony Ferous
08-28-2007, 06:53 PM
I tested with 'zinc test' (zinc sulphate liquid)again last night, i was borderline deficient, so need to load up again. I've been off zinc supps for 3 weeks whilst on holiday though. Ive no white spots.

However, It occurred to me that perhaps i should be swallowing the 'zinc test' after testing, though the bottle doesnt specify this!

My bottle also said that i should discard the contents 7 days after opening though, which sounds crazy, its been open for 2 months, may affect the results.

safe link:
http://www.usenature.com/ethical_zinc.htm

Garrett Smith
08-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I don't see why the test would go bad, there's nothing like that on mine from Designs for Health.

Definitely swallow the test liquid, don't waste the good zinc!

I seem to be totally lacking in zinc. Between the (past) white spots and my constant failing in the zinc challenge, I'm glad I'm finally getting more zinc. If I don't start noticing some changes in my challenge soon, I'm going up to 100mg/day.