PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Dan John, breaking into the big-time!

Jesse Woody
08-15-2007, 07:26 AM
Picked up the new issue of Men's Health in the airport last weekend and was instantly pissed off that they stole Dan's "goblet squats" for a 2 page article...then I realized Dan wrote it and my indignation subsided. Great short summary of your squat progression...beats out 90% of MH's info for sheer usefulness.

Nice to see some of the larger rags actually going to the source rather than snatching the idea for their own and making a sub-par article from it. Cool stuff!

Danny John
08-15-2007, 07:45 AM
It was edited a "bit" from the original five pages. Thank you for your kind words. I will probably have a new "free book" up this fall, too.

Allen Yeh
08-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Which issue would this be? Not that I would ever think of buying a magazine like that or anything....

Seriously though, congrats. Sheesh they cut out 3 pages of DJ genuis! Tsk tsk.....in 2 years from now they will have an article on the "latest" breakthrought tip" when Dan has known that tip forever.

Gary John
08-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Dan and I were up in Spokane for the national championship in the weight pentathlon. We were getting supplies at the local Safeway and Dan showed me the article while we stood by the magazine rack. My wife wanted to know why I didn't buy a copy. And lose all my street cred?

Anyway, Dan won his division and I took second in mine.

Paul Findley
08-15-2007, 09:00 AM
This thread is useless without scanned images.

Joe Hart
08-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Of Dan and Gary reading the MH or the article. Thats pretty cool now you can give the cat what for...When he gets snotty and you think you are going to lose give him the "Mock me will you!? I wrote for MH!" and stomp off. That ought to shut his feline ass up.

No I am not on crack read Dan's Bio. Unless he has changed it.

Scott Kustes
08-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Joe, On the other hand, it could be used against Dan. I can see Gary and Dan going at it and Gary yelling "Shut up, you wrote for Men's Health!" Dan will cry.

In other news, cool beans Dan.

Robb Wolf
08-15-2007, 04:02 PM
Sigh...I was supposed to be in that issue also for a blurb on IF...always a bridesmaid...

josh everett
08-15-2007, 05:12 PM
That's awesome! Dan's stuff is always the best, I'm glad to hear such a mainstream magazine is publishing his stuff.
Wait a minute! If the pumpers & toners catch on to real training what will make us special?!?!

Gary John
08-15-2007, 05:31 PM
I get home and found that my wife bought me a copy. Hinted around, sexist that she is, about my cheapness.

One thing, how come half the magazine is written upside down?

I always threaten to tell embarassing stories about Dan when he was little, remember he is the youngest of six children. But, Dan goes and tops anything I could come up with.

Derek Simonds
08-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Dang it I grabbed the wrong zine in the airport today. I will have to get a copy tomorrow as I am passing through Shreveport.

Congrats on being published, you deserve it.

Chuck Kechter
08-15-2007, 06:31 PM
Congrats on getting into MH, that's very cool!

James Hall
08-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Dan John, isn't that the guy in the DVD I bought from davedraper.com? Has a dog in it, drinking fine liquids, and beautiful women. Sheesh.
Seriously, congrats. I use your stuff in the clinic everyday (patients think I'm nuts, but they love it). And I always give you credit, but backwards:p . Hope you don't mind!

James Evans
08-16-2007, 02:56 AM
Well done Dan, that rocks. Did you shave your chest and oil up?

Men's Fitness in the UK is quite a good mag (very little of the Weider influence) and I subscribe without it really being a guilty pleasure. They have a guest trainer every month and last month was Andrew Stemler of Crossfit London with a workout involving kettlebell snatches and swings, wallball and l-sits and a bit of ringwork to sort the men from the boys. In ten years I hve only seen kettlebells mentioned once before and that was on the back of the last Rocky outing.Andrew is a good man. This month was a guy who runs bootcamps in London parks and he was using tabata squat, ball slams etc. It was one of those articles that would provoke a:

Sound like Crossfit?

post on another message board and probably lead to a fight about 300. It was good stuff though and looked like fun.

Still see Dan in print over here would be fantastic. Waxed and oiled or not.

Mike ODonnell
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Congrats on making it to the big times.....when is the keg party?

Allen Yeh
08-16-2007, 06:48 AM
So this is the September issue?

Danny John
08-16-2007, 06:57 AM
As a minor league fitness celebrity, I forgot to mention how the Moynihaninstitute was actually responsible...along with God and wife...for getting me to where I am today.

I am struggling typing today because the long cigarette holder keeps burning my arm as well as Ms. Hilton's constant questions of "do these bunny ears make me look fat?"

Ken Urakawa
08-17-2007, 07:14 AM
As a minor league fitness celebrity, I forgot to mention how the Moynihaninstitute was actually responsible...along with God and wife...for getting me to where I am today.

I am struggling typing today because the long cigarette holder keeps burning my arm as well as Ms. Hilton's constant questions of "do these bunny ears make me look fat?"

Congrats, you must be Big Time now, if you can afford a Hilton! That's what, $500k just to party, right?

Dave Van Skike
08-18-2007, 09:53 AM
read the article...where is the DJ ab shot?

Danny John
08-18-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm blushing.

David Wood
08-18-2007, 08:10 PM
Men's Fitness in the UK is quite a good mag . . . This month was a guy who runs bootcamps in London parks and he was using tabata squat, ball slams etc. It was one of those articles that would provoke a:

Sound like Crossfit?

post on another message board and probably lead to a fight about 300.

(laughing . . .)

Well, yeah. Except not anymore, 'cause I'd kill that thread a lot quicker nowadays. I'm getting cranky in my old age, and a lot less tolerant of wasted bandwidth.

Congrats to Dan! Good to see him published, even if MH is (as always) about 3 years behind the curve.

My sordid confession . . . I get MH every month. I read it for . . . the recipes!! Yeah, that's right, the recipes! Oh, and the fashion tips, too . . .

Actually, the most amusing part of it is watching them successfully bring in a variety of CrossFit-like work (functional movements, intensity) while simultaneously never mentioning its existence.

Also amusing is finding the blatant contradictions within any given issue. Since they try to be all things to all people, they will have frequently have completely contradictory advice given in different articles of the same issue . . . and if not, certainly within the next month or two.

Derek Simonds
08-19-2007, 06:32 AM
Also amusing is finding the blatant contradictions within any given issue. Since they try to be all things to all people, they will have frequently have completely contradictory advice given in different articles of the same issue . . . and if not, certainly within the next month or two.

You nailed that one! If you tried to follow every piece of advice in one issue you would go mad. I was thinking about all the different advice they have for food and supplementation, mostly they just take recent research and throw it in with suggestions. I can imagine this is how it goes with the average reader. I should eat more fish, but I shouldn't eat too much fish because of the mercury, since I am not eating enough fish I should supplement with fish oil, but I shouldn't use capsules so I should eat omega 3 eggs but I shouldn't use genetically engineered food. Oh well I guess I won't do anything because this is way too complicated.

The reality is that I read it most of the time and I enjoy it. I don't subscribe but I pick it up when I am traveling. There are usually good articles from Zach Evans-Esh and Jason Formaggia and Alwyn Cosgrove. I love fitness and it is an easy read and they do have good fashion tips for us business guys also.

Glad you are getting cranky in your old age David it makes the xFit board easier to browse.

Allen Yeh
08-21-2007, 03:18 AM
Good article, I wish they had printed more of it.

Danny John
08-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Allen, we are working on the rest actually, too. It was a total of five exercises that "related" to one another.

For the record, throwers, track athletes and football players were doing "functional" exercises long before the internet was invented. If MH is going to give nods to anyone it should be the performance sports (Olympics)...

Ken Urakawa
08-21-2007, 12:49 PM
For the record, throwers, track athletes and football players were doing "functional" exercises long before the internet was invented. If MH is going to give nods to anyone it should be the performance sports (Olympics)...

Luckily, the US will be paying attention to those athletes next year. For 2 weeks. On MSNBC2...

William Hunter
08-21-2007, 12:54 PM
I'll echo Allen's sentiments. Found the article in the bookstore and was hoping it would have been longer to include more DJisms. Of course, I've read hundreds of pages of DJ's writings, so I have nothing to complain about.

Congrats!

Ken, I believe ESPN 8 will carry some coverage as well. Long live "The Ocho"!

joe murphy
08-21-2007, 12:59 PM
best thing about that article, aside from DJ getting paid, is that it will expose more people to dan john. they'll go from t-nation to get up to crossfit to here ... quite a journey. maybe even the ultimate fitness site, moynihan institute.

I can honestly say no one has had as much effect on my lifting, my health, my thinking on many subjects than dan john.

just last sunday I did yet another dan john triathalon: front squats and sled drags; mass; blood donation. :)

Ron Nelson
08-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Had this "Dan John" person written his article for "Juggs" or "Black Tail" or "theartofdansilver.com" or even "Lowrider Tattoo" magazine, I'd have already read it. Also, if this "Dan John" of whom you all speak was real, he'd have already written for one of these literary monoliths.

In other news: I still do the "DJ Ladder" of pull ups and single arm clean and presses. Today, for example, 5 ladders in 13:30 including rest.

Jamila Bey
08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
(sigh) Dan John is dreamy!

I've got that article posted on the wall above my wedding photos!

Someday, I'll be commissioning DJ articles. Someday.

Brad Hirakawa
08-22-2007, 08:45 PM
Congrats Dan!!

Robb... their loss!

Brad

Laree Draper
08-23-2007, 07:17 AM
Nice, Dan! Congrats... I'll go grab a copy. First one, maybe ever. So there ya go.