PDA

View Full Version : Screw the Zone!

Russell Greene
08-16-2007, 06:12 PM
It had been something like 12 days and I had only messed up twice on the zone and that due to inconvenient and unprepared for situations, so I decided to take a formal planned for cheat meal at my favorite Indian restaurant. When I came home I said what the heck and had a banana, a peach, some peanut butter, and a few pieces of dark chocolate and licorice. Sure it was a lot of carbs, but nothing out of the ordinary in my past none-zoning life.

Now I feel like I am going to die, or at least puke. Apparently my zone diet has killed my immunity to junk food and revealed it for the poison that it truly is. I actually can't wait to get my scale and cup out to start measuring my portions so that I can feel good again.

Kevin Perry
08-16-2007, 06:37 PM
I don't like the zone for that exact reason of measuring every little thing. Very inconvienient.

Mike ODonnell
08-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Zone is a good place to begin, understand what portions are what, understand blood sugar control and make healthier food choices. No arguement that it works but mainly because of the fact it is a low low low calorie diet with focus on insulin control.....after that it's just not a realistic lifestyle choice for most people....or one I would want to make as I like a lifestyle not based on tupperware containers and counting portions 6x a day....plus I think that whole eat 6x a day is a highly overrated as you can get the same if not better results on a 2-3x a day Paleo based IF program. Once you master IF it's amazing how you can manipulate the hours a day based on how you feel, exercise programming, and what meals you are going to eat....including a night out with beer and wings....and still keep lean and feel great.

Kevin Perry
08-16-2007, 09:22 PM
Mike,

Thats exactly what I love about the Paleo/IF mix. Zone works great for some people and more power to them if they can manage shelves upon shelves of tuperware. It is an excellent diet choice but Paleo is just much better IMO.

Mike ODonnell
08-17-2007, 06:35 AM
As I tell all my clients...the best eating plan (I hate to use the word DIET) is the one you do consistently....most people I know can do a IF/Paleo more consistently than zone...and even when they fall off it's not that much if any of a setback and easy to get right back into it....even if they are on vacation for 2 weeks....

That's not even counting an IF approach to lowering insulin resistance and the other healing features that comes from a fast.

Robb Wolf
08-17-2007, 06:39 AM
The folks who do well on the Zone long term are people who love to make their bed with NO creases...dot th e"I's", cross the "t's" types. You know EXACTLY how much food you need to fuel your efforts...you have pinpoint control...and it makes me want to lobotomize myself with a sharp pencil.

I've never seen (personally) a performance bump on the Zone...I've always eaten paleo, more recently paleo/IF...I did the CF games WO a few weeks ago and got 17:13. Not great, not bad. Did the "Jason" WO in 19:08...those were the first MU's I've done sine Feb due to a separated shoulder.

Abbs are always up...I'm good with Paleo IF.

Neal Winkler
08-17-2007, 07:33 AM
I don't Zone, but just doing paleo makes my tolerance for bad food go way down, so I know exactly how you feel!

William Hunter
08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Robb's comment about the lobotomy is about how I feel. I Zoned waaay back in 1998 and while I learned a lot about meal construction and proportions it fed my OCD tendencies and made me very difficult to live with.

Besides, my main goals are excellent health, longevity and happiness, not elite athletic performance (wife, 3 kids, immersed in my work).

Other than my training regimen, the only halfway athletic things I do are the occasional attempt to hit a golf ball, and keep up with my wife on the dance floor. I feel good, fit into my clothes, and can knock back some brews with my homies w/o freaking out. Long live IF I say!

John Vernon
08-17-2007, 10:49 AM
I dig the zone, but I recall one time when my, then, fiance snatched a couple almonds off my plate and I nearly killed her...I knew right then that there had to be a better way.

I agree with William 100% about learning a ton about meal construction from the zone but I've noticed I actually feel much better following a Paleo/IF protocol and athletic performance is relatively identical if not better.

Russell Greene
08-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Now that I have recovered from my toxin overload, I realize that the title of the thread was very misleading. I am actually really enjoying the zone and my performance has gone up as well. Everything, running, lifting, energy, sleep, mood, has improved noticeably. I was just surprised that I would be so negatively affected by a few pieces of junk food and some fruit.

Shit Robb I did that workout in 19:23 at the games. I could barely raise my hands over my head the next day. I'm going to try it again soon now that I have a good 6 weeks of hard core training and pullup practice in.