PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Advice for Chemo patient

Sam Cannons
08-16-2007, 07:37 PM
A friend of mines mother has started undergoing chemo for breast cancer and was worried about the nasty food they give her in the hospital. Any advice is welcome please.

Thankyou

Sam

Mike ODonnell
08-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Last time I checked....hospital food sucked!

No seriously....I would think anything fresh/raw like fruits and vegetables and stuff full of llife giving enzymen, antioxidants and minerals would be good for anyone....staying away from processed foods and sugar....keep the foods easy to digest as the body has alot of energy needed to keep the immune system strong and going forward....maybe even supplement amino acids vs whole proteins to keep the digestion light....Of course the most important, they need to work with their doctor.....I am not a professional medical consultant and do not know any limitations on what a person may or may not be able to tollerate....work with a doctor I am sure they will tell you what is allowed and not.

Jared Buffie
08-19-2007, 05:22 PM
OD nailed it...

NO SUGARS!

Cancer feeds on sugars... eliminating them should not only be the absolute fisrt step for anyone looking to kick cancer, but for all of us who want to avoid it in the first place.

Also, supplement with a ton of Vitamin C - tumors are your body's way of walling off cancer so it can destroy it. Tumor walls are made of collagen, which is made up in large part from Vitamin c. Unfortunately, when chemo starts, it becomes almost impossible for the body to nourish itself.

Garrett Smith
08-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Lots of whole food antioxidants...don't believe the (wrong) theory that antioxidants will counteract the treatments.

No sugar, no grains, no dairy. Get high-quality foods in to her at the hospital as much as you can. If she doesn't feel like eating, tell her she doesn't have to.

Fresh vegetable juices (not high in carrot or beet) are awesome.