PDA

View Full Version : resting heart rate/sinus-brady?

Leif Lake
08-18-2007, 04:28 PM
I wasn't sure where to post this one. My question is if a low resting heart rate could be Paleo related? I just had my Annual Physical which included 12 lead EKG and my RHH was a whopping 39bpm. Cool huh? They suggested I follow up with a cardiologist.(and I will) I wanted to see if anyone on here had any thoughts on whether this could be diet related. I Started about 4 1/2 months ago with the diet and feel great, Happy with results, like what I eat etc. Was a little sluggish the first month but no real issues since then. My BP was good 110/70 not dizzy except after sets of dead lifts or squats sometimes (that's normal right?) I am 200# 6'3" about 10%bf not doing wod's per say but compound and super sets-high intensity stuff. I know its normal for athletes to have low RHH's but 39?

Derek Simonds
08-18-2007, 07:04 PM
I am on the other side of the coin from you. I am 6'1" 190 and around 12% BF and my resting heart rate is somewhere around 85. I have tried hard to get my RHR lower. 4 years ago when i was taking claritin D and doing BB style workouts my RHR was right at 100.

I know that a low carb paleo diet will lower blood pressure but don't know if it will change RHR.

Chris Rice
08-19-2007, 06:31 AM
6' 2" and 198# here. My resting HR is 48 and has been for many years. It was down to 38 at one time when I was doing triathlons. It seems to be partly a genetic trait, and partly due to aerobic fitness levels. If I allow myself to get out of shape so to speak, it climbs to around the 54 bpm area. My sister, who is totally out of shape also has a slow HR - like most things, genetics seems to be a big factor. I have also heard it can be tied to different conditions such as thyroid etc. Probably worth getting checked out for sure just to be safe.

Steve Shafley
08-19-2007, 10:06 AM
My RHR depends on my level of conditioning.

As a rugby player, it'd been as low as 50 bpm. Bodyweights ranged from 185 to 240 during this timeframe.

Now, as a big chubbo non-athlete, it's around 60-65 bpm. BW ~265-270

Garrett Smith
08-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I saw mine at 38 in the morning (in bed, no significant movement yet) when I was doing triathlons.

Right now, I'm usually clocked at mid-50s during the daytime. BW 175#.

I will say that a daytime (not truly resting) HR of 39 is pretty freakin' low. However, without notable detrimental effects, I can't say that it is bad/negative in any way.

Leif Lake
08-19-2007, 05:23 PM
I appreciate the responses. The EKG wasn't the first thing I did all day, had been up a few hours and had a busy night at work the night before. I had also been fasting because of the blood work they were gonna do. (could that have been a factor?) They actually checked it twice and they were the same. I am no triathlete either. I'll see what the cardiologist says. Thanks again-Leif

Leif Lake
08-27-2007, 09:56 PM
Cardiologist told me to get lost. He said since I had no other symptoms like dizziness or family history of heart problems and because my EKG had no other issues, he wasn't worried. He asked if I did steroids (nope!) and when I mentioned my diet he suggested that I avoid animal protein and try eating soy beans. I just nodded and went on my way. It was good going just for piece of mind, I see alot of people go into denial when something comes up and I didn't want just blow off the "abnormal EKG". Thanks to those of you that responded to the thread, I have really been able to pick-up alot of info digging through all of these post. This is a great resource!-Leif