PDA

View Full Version : Almost 100% BW KB DL

Derek Simonds
08-19-2007, 09:05 AM
While I was working out my son was playing around with my other KB. Here is a short clip of him DL'ing a 52 LB'er at 56 lb's BW. I think I am going to start a video blog called growing up lifting (title is still up for grabs) that has Jr and his sister doing different exercises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mmDdVYdnkw

Scott Kustes
08-19-2007, 11:25 AM
Awesome work Jr. I wish my parents had me deadlifting at that age.

Steve Liberati
08-19-2007, 12:49 PM
omg isn't that dangerous what he's doing?!?!

J/k! Although I'm sure that is what your typical uninformed parent would say as their little Tommy is chained to the TV playing PS2 all day. Of course we know, sloppy technique is dangerous not the exercise itself. Kudos to you and your son for starting early and doing it right. Maybe some of the other kids in the neighborhood will take note and follow.

Allen Yeh
08-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Good stuff.

Derek Simonds
08-19-2007, 02:17 PM
omg isn't that dangerous what he's doing?!?!

I struggle with that conceptually. I have had several conversations with Glenn at Pendlay about Jr lifting. I also have followed some of the information that Peter has posted. I do not let him lift except on Sat or Sun and then it is only 2 or 3 sets with 3 - 5 reps. They have changed the schedule at gymnastics to 4 days a week with M, W, H for 2 hours and S for 3 hours so he is getting all the exercise he needs.

We lift / workout together more as a bonding thing than anything else. When he gets older he can decide on his own what he is going to do with lifting, but he will at least have a solid understanding of the basics.

Leif Lake
08-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Very cool! I cant wait to show my son when he gets home from school.

Patrick Donnelly
08-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I was thinking to myself, "That must be one huge kettlebell."
Then I clicked and read the first post. http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1091/iconwackobz7.gif

Ken Urakawa
08-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Lief! Good to see you!

Kevin Perry
08-21-2007, 10:22 AM
Thats awesome.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-27-2008, 01:30 PM
My 7 year old daughter picks up my 48kg and waddles with it ocassionally.

She's genetically my body double. The only footage I have of her on youtube is her playing with a 10lb crappy NYBarbell bell while I'm jerking/pressing the 48 and doing a reverse LCCJ ladder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jccGg-wgyU

A few months back, she told me she was "going over to the barn to train." She was already dressed so I told her to go ahead. In any event, I got dressed and went over and she had my good york training bar with two ten pound bumpers on it. As I entered, she was pressing the weight over head. She then put it down, then recleaned/curled it. Then pressed it again. She was giving it a good go to and grunting like she's seen her daddy etc. After I did my session, and got her back on a broom stick, which she was none to pleased, I told my wife about my concern and got authorization/confirmation to get he some training plates and a training bar.

A 15lb aluminum bar (with bearings) and 2 sets of hi-tech plates (5lb and 3.75 kilos). And my little body double enjoys them.

But everytime she "goes over to train" I go with her.

I love it. I'm blessed.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
That's absolutely amazing what kids will do when they don't know any better.

Tell your body double that me and my family think she has the potential to make the 2020 USAW Olympic team.

Arden Cogar Jr.
03-28-2008, 04:59 AM
That's absolutely amazing what kids will do when they don't know any better.

Tell your body double that me and my family think she has the potential to make the 2020 USAW Olympic team.

Thanks so much!! It's for that very reason I'm hoping to get a USAW club coach certification within the next year. I know it's hard for parents to coach their children, but she has an interest, and an obvious gift, so I want to try and do it right. If that means I have to do a few master's lifting contests and eat some humble pie, I'll do it!!!

Thanks again,
Arden

Derek Simonds
03-28-2008, 05:54 AM
If you do pick a date for the USAW club coach cert let me know. I would love to go as well.

Glenn Pendlay's son William is really learning at the fountain of knowledge. I think that Jr, William and your daughter all do it because they see us enjoying it so much. My goal with my kids is just to keep them around the sport and enjoying it as they get older.

It should be interesting to see if all of this renewed interest in Olympic Lifting translates into any higher quality group (meaning a much larger pool) of athletes competing in the sport 10 - 20 years from now.

One of our friends daughter is a freshman in high school and has competed at a high level in gymnastics and swimming. This year she was introduced to O/Lifting and is doing great at it. She was babysitting our kids one day and I was finishing up with a workout and she asked could she show me some lifts. I was really impressed. She did great.

Gant Grimes
03-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Too young? You guys are suckers. You have to start training them before they walk (like in China).

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/gantgrimes/earlytraining.jpg

You're right about William Pendlay. Part of learning the O-lifts is watching other lifters while they're being coached. Also, being around that much iron is just good for the soul.

Allen Yeh
03-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Today Connor DL'ed a 8KG KB for reps. He'll be 3 in July. I was pretty surprised because he was telling me he wanted to workout with daddy, so I placed the KB in front of him and up it went. Out of curiousity I gave him the 12KG KB also and he did a couple of partials with that.

He's around 36lb's so 8KG's is just around 1/2BW.

Pictures to be added later.

Craig Snyder
03-28-2008, 02:31 PM
I bring my 5 year old when I work out sometimes and his favorite thing to do, besides using all the machines in the room like jungle gyms, is to take the 8# dumbells and do OH presses with them. At 37# himself, that is about 45% of his bodyweight.

He also does DL with my 1 pood KB, which is his BW. Gotta love the little guys!

Craig

Arien Malec
03-28-2008, 08:58 PM
Just to add more BW DL testimonials, my 11 year old daugher does 10 reps with the 24kg at 28.5kg herself. Just for fun, I set up the barbell with 30 kg and she sumo deadlifted it. No interest in snatching yet, alas.

As a side note, her school is going through PE testing. The first test was a mile run, and the pass limit is 12 minutes! Even at that low bar, quite a few kids struggled.

The next test is a pullup hold for 15 seconds, and I expect performance to be even worse, despite a cadre of girls (my daughter among them) who do pullups for fun (my daughter is currently begging for a pullup bar to be installed in her closet doorframe).

Some hope, some sorrow.

Arien

Allen Yeh
03-29-2008, 08:05 PM
The pictures that were promised:

The first one is the 8KG where he repped it. The 2nd one is his attempt with the 12KG.

Now I know why he loves sharing my coconut milk, whey, cocoa powder, spinach, strawberry and ground flaxseed shakes!

sarena kopciel
03-29-2008, 08:13 PM
OMG these kids are awesome. Now if I could only interest my teens to the weights; all they want is basketball (boy) and dance/gymnastics (girl)!!

Jared Buffie
03-30-2008, 10:42 AM
In the "my kid is amazing too" category...

My 36lb four year old deadlifted my 53k kettlebell yesterday. I tried to get a pic but the delay on the digital camera made me miss it.

He almost dropped it on his toes, though...

David Tieu
09-30-2008, 07:50 PM
omg all you parents are going to hell
and a fat mcdonalds mama is going to call child services on you all.
have a good day

Allen Yeh
10-01-2008, 03:43 AM
Lately Connor has been doing a lot of farmers walks with the 8 kg and 12 kg KB's he has tried doing some swings with a 8# DB. It's great. I'll post the pics up later today.

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-02-2008, 06:32 AM
I absolutely love this thread.

Here's my 11 year old playing with her 8kg AKC "Pinky" and doing some split snatches and real poor clean and jerks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWobSlSrP08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbIwPCVWaG8

On the second video, that's my little body double wandering around flinging kettlebells.

All the best,
Arden

Derek Simonds
10-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Really incredible Arden. Looks like everyone is having a great time with the KB's. I am going to need to get some of those AKC bells to get the kids accustomed to the size.

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Really incredible Arden. Looks like everyone is having a great time with the KB's. I am going to need to get some of those AKC bells to get the kids accustomed to the size.

My girls really like the pink bell. My wife hasn't gotten to play with it yet. The 12kg was a bit too heavy for her.

I got introduced to bell work about two years ago and have fallen in love with it because it doesn't require a whole bunch of "crap" to perform. The kids like them because most of the exercises are fairly easy to learn. My girls picked up the snatch and the LCCJ with a bell very easily. Whereas teaching them to barbell pull properly or barbell squat properly has been a horrendous struggle. If that makes any sense?

Something about the bell work is much easier to teach to my daughters. It looks more natural on them.

All the best,
Arden

Jamila Bey
10-02-2008, 06:40 PM
omg all you parents are going to hell
and a fat mcdonalds mama is going to call child services on you all.
have a good day

Here here! And that little girl, lifting all that heavy stuff, won't be able to have babies. Like when I was working towards a bodyweight bench press and got pregnant, clearly all that exercise wasn't good for me. And when that little girl grows up and she doesn't have osteoporosis or less muscle mass than she should- blame it on that dangerous heavy lifting she did as a child.

You bad parent you.

(Do those come in teething ring size?)

Craig Snyder
10-03-2008, 07:08 AM
Here here! And that little girl, lifting all that heavy stuff, won't be able to have babies. Like when I was working towards a bodyweight bench press and got pregnant, clearly all that exercise wasn't good for me. And when that little girl grows up and she doesn't have osteoporosis or less muscle mass than she should- blame it on that dangerous heavy lifting she did as a child.

You bad parent you.

That pink bell probably was Arden's teething ring. :)

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-03-2008, 11:40 AM
That pink bell probably was Arden's teething ring. :)

LOL. :D

Strangely I've heard comparable having to do with severed pieces of wood. I, and my daughters, get it honest.

All the best,
Arden

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-03-2008, 11:43 AM

You bad parent you.

LOL. It's kinda cool that they're into doing this stuff with me and wi Fit at the mother's. My eldest was telling me she was doing drop snatches/squats/OHS/split jerks/etc with a broom stick at her mother's and had to stop because she kept knocking stuff off the counters. As I'm told, she cleans the kitchen then does drill work on the hard tiled floor because it has the most "stable" surface in their home.

I'm blessed.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
10-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Here is a photo of Connor walking across the room with a 8kg KB.

Derek Simonds
10-06-2008, 11:19 AM
He is looking good!

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Allen, that's absolutely awesome!!!!

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
10-07-2008, 04:10 AM
Thanks, I didn't get any pictures of him with the 12kg KB, he wouldn't stop his farmers walking to take a picture! I need to take some video next time.

"I workout with my daddy, I do burpees"

Cracks me up, Laurie is a little less than thrilled with some of the stuff but I caught him doing swings with a 8# db, that I was a bit leary about him dropping on his head.

Lately he's been using my parallettes like hurdles and he'll place them in his way so that he can jump over them.

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Here's some more of my big little one getting ready for next week's meet at ECG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRC7xh163AY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7OwD4Fv3gg

I know she's got a long way to go technique wise, but she's doing much better than when she started. Right now, I'm trying to get her to keep her hips down and pull with her legs and hips instead of her back. She'll get it in time.

Staying really light until then.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
10-10-2008, 03:43 PM
Very nice, Olympics 2024 here she comes!

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-17-2008, 12:49 PM
Here's her last training session going into this weekend. She's got a long way to go technique wise and I'll get her there over time. Once we get through this weekend, I'm moving her to pulls/squats/presses every other or every third day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDN-NS0FN4I

We leave very shortly.

All the best,
Arden

Justin Herring
10-17-2008, 06:03 PM
This is pretty much the cutest thread ever.

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-22-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks Justin,
Here's my daughter at her first comp at the ECG Gold Cup. She went 12, 15, and 16. Then 15, 17, and I think 20.

She was very pleased and wants to do the pittsburgh Open if it happens to fall on one of my weekends. She was getting coaching from the likes of Leo Totten, Randy Hauer, Joe Delago, Dave Miller, Victor Gallego....it was awesome. And she loved it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpvEBBtCmsw

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
10-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Nice clip!

How did you end up doing?

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-23-2008, 05:52 AM
Nice clip!

How did you end up doing?

I went 85, missed 95 on a press out, then repeated it. Then went 110, 120, and got 130 up to my chin, but let it drift out so I couldn't catch it.

We had a great time. Kiara wants to do the Pittsburgh open in December.

She made me promise to buy her a Werksan Women's Bar once she can clean and jerk 100 pounds. I couldn't say no.

All the best,
Arden

Allen Yeh
10-23-2008, 06:17 AM
I went 85, missed 95 on a press out, then repeated it. Then went 110, 120, and got 130 up to my chin, but let it drift out so I couldn't catch it.

We had a great time. Kiara wants to do the Pittsburgh open in December.

She made me promise to buy her a Werksan Women's Bar once she can clean and jerk 100 pounds. I couldn't say no.

All the best,
Arden

Nice numbers.

That is awesome about her wanting a women's bar! I wish I could get the kids to want stuff like that! heh

Arden Cogar Jr.
10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Nice numbers.

That is awesome about her wanting a women's bar! I wish I could get the kids to want stuff like that! heh

Thanks Allen,
It was both humbling and exhilirating at the same time. I loved it.

After she competed, she went to the warm up room and put some Hi-tech plates on a woman's bar and clean and jerked it several times - which was actually more than she lifted in contest. When she finally figured out how much was on the bar, she told me, "see, I told you I could have lifted more." :D

I had so much fun.

All the best, Arden

Derek Simonds
10-23-2008, 01:34 PM
Arden my most sincere congratulations to both of you, especially for your daughter.

The fact that she got up there on the platform and lifted in a comp is just outstanding. I really don't think it will be too long before you have to buy that Werksan bar.

Jr has been kind of on again off again about gymnastics this year. I was really afraid with the success he was having at football that he wouldn't continue. Well Tuesday night he told my wife that he wasn't going to quit and that he was really enjoying gym. Yeah Him.

Derek Simonds
11-19-2008, 05:17 PM
So I get home tonight from St. Louis and my son and I are in the garage. Not even sure how or why but there we were hanging out in the garage. He says can you video me doing that thing with the bar where you lay down. I said sure but I don't really know what you are talking about. He says that thing you do with Laney and me, like the guy does on all the videos.

Ah Ha I say a TGU. Yep he says. I said do you want to use your KB he says no I am going to use my bar just like Mr Adam. His bar is a 5 KG Pendlay Bar. So we reviewed the move with a staff and talked about what to do if the bar came loose and he said I am ready. Here is the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWV5dLjuMks

We also played with my new Rolling Thunder handle. That is pretty darn cool. He lifted a 16 KG KB with it which impressed me. I strapped some chain around 2 45 LB PLates and gave it a ride with each hand. I really should have bought a loading pin. Guess I will order that tomorrow.

Allen Yeh
11-19-2008, 05:53 PM
Sweet, great form!

Arden Cogar Jr.
11-20-2008, 06:19 AM
This is awesome. I love it!!!

All the best,
Arden

So I get home tonight from St. Louis and my son and I are in the garage. Not even sure how or why but there we were hanging out in the garage. He says can you video me doing that thing with the bar where you lay down. I said sure but I don't really know what you are talking about. He says that thing you do with Laney and me, like the guy does on all the videos.

Ah Ha I say a TGU. Yep he says. I said do you want to use your KB he says no I am going to use my bar just like Mr Adam. His bar is a 5 KG Pendlay Bar. So we reviewed the move with a staff and talked about what to do if the bar came loose and he said I am ready. Here is the result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWV5dLjuMks

We also played with my new Rolling Thunder handle. That is pretty darn cool. He lifted a 16 KG KB with it which impressed me. I strapped some chain around 2 45 LB PLates and gave it a ride with each hand. I really should have bought a loading pin. Guess I will order that tomorrow.