PDA

View Full Version : Greens or Veggie Supplement

Brian Shanks
08-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Was doing some looking into some of the veggie supplement products out there. I want to ensure I am getting enough veggies, but also want something that I can push on the wife and kids to ensure they are getting enough.
I have looked at GNC Maximum Green UltraMega Green, Greens Plus, and a couple of others. What I have noticed is alot of the powders will have soy or fermented soy, or beans or other things I am trying to avoid.

Any body use any of the greens supplements out there? If so what did you find.

I know most of you don't have problems eating your veggies, and I generally don't, but I know my kids don't eat like me and there are times when I am not on my game plan and don't get my veggies cleaned and cut on time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bri

Robert Allison
08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
I use Berry Green from New Chapter. It is mostly fruits & vegetables, unlike many "green food" products, which are primarily grasses. I also like that it doesn't include any nightshades, as I generally try to minimize my consumption of them.

It does include organic brown rice, but I don't believe the amount is significant enough to have any effect.

Mike ODonnell
08-22-2007, 11:53 AM
I know Berry Green has been recommended alot....haven't personally used it...of all the ones I have personally used, I'd say the Greens+ Wild Berry version was the best, good tasting too. Would be interesting to see how those 2 compare.

Ben Blosch
08-22-2007, 12:31 PM
I had the same problem with running out of time to prepare veggies everyday, until I bought a food steamer.

It's the greatest thing. Just take a bag of frozen mixed vegetables, put them in there and 15 minutes later you've got cooked, clean, and chopped goodness.

I have this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Oster-5712-Electronic-6-1-Quart-Steamer/dp/B00019G8IS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1330006-2792013?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1187811043&sr=8-1

Brian Shanks
08-22-2007, 01:55 PM
Ben

My preparation is even easier then yours, I can't stand cooked veggies so I eat them all raw. But I do prepare them all for the week in advance. My Sunday night includes washing and cutting my broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and carrots and then packaging them in five quart size ziplock bags so I can grab a bag and go. I eat raw spinach in my morning shake. Evenings I usually eat a salad.

Unfortunately I still am paranoid that I am not getting enough veggies, and I know my kids aren't. So if I can give them a drink in the evening to help it along, or through some in their apple juice, then I can sleep at night.

Mike

I looked at greens plus, but they have stuff like soy, corn and wheat in them which my wife can't have.

Robert

The Berry Green from New Chapter looks like some good stuff. Going to go ahead and order some of this and give it a try.

Thanks for the replies.

Bri

chris hill
08-23-2007, 04:20 AM
The berry green looks great, but is 40 ($80ish) here in the uk for 180g. Thats 1.33 ($2.66) per serving, for me thats not economically viable. I'll just buy loads of veg from the weekly farmers market instead

Edward Friedman
08-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Mike,

I am psyched to see your "IF" site, it looks great ! Wishing you and those you enlighten great success with it. ( I've been Fast-5ing since 2.27.07 and I enjoy this approach. As a former jogger, I have "seen the light" expressed in the language on your "coming soon" page, about the value of intensity in exercise.) I am excited to see these "IF"s grow.

Brian,

I am affiliated with www.WellWay.com . You may find the information there of value regarding whole food supplements. If you are interested, please e-mail me at edfesq@yahoo.com

All the best,

Eddie

Mike ODonnell
08-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Mike,

I am psyched to see your "IF" site, it looks great ! Wishing you and those you enlighten great success with it. ( I've been Fast-5ing since 2.27.07 and I enjoy this approach. As a former jogger, I have "seen the light" expressed in the language on your "coming soon" page, about the value of intensity in exercise.) I am excited to see these "IF"s grow.

Holy Crap someone noticed? Ha....thanks. I am hoping to get it live and daily blogged starting in Sept. Looking to go big and promote it everywhere I get a chance as I wholeheartedly believe in it. Will be a good mix of IF, exercise, daily workouts for people at home and other things along the whole simplicity and awareness/zen approach to being happy in life. Keep it simple, get results. My motto. Hijack over.

Jared Buffie
08-23-2007, 02:03 PM
We use Paleogreens (there is also a Paleoreds that I think is more fruit/berry based, but also has all the veggie servings).

Brian Shanks
08-28-2007, 07:38 AM
I purchased the Berry Green from New Chapter last night.
It doesn't taste to bad to me, hehe, but my three year old doesn't care for it.
I put it in her apple juice, so if she wants apple juice, she gets the greens.

I will look at the other two options listed for when we finish this cansister.

Thanks for the replies

Bri

David Stout
01-10-2008, 06:33 AM
When somebody uses a product like this is a multi-vitamin still recommended or does this cover it?

Thanks for any replies,
David

Mike ODonnell
01-10-2008, 07:55 AM
When somebody uses a product like this is a multi-vitamin still recommended or does this cover it?

Thanks for any replies,
David

Most Green products as far as I can remember are not meant to supply all vitamins and minerals....more just phytonutrients and an alkaline ph environment. So you will still need vitamins and minerals from other sources whatever they may be.

Nikki Young
01-19-2008, 02:39 PM
I've been taking JuicePlus+ for just over 2yrs now. It comes in capsules so you don't have to taste it, plus the capsule acts as an oxygen barrier so the nutrients stay alive longer.

I personally don't see any place for a multi-vitamin if you're taking a whole food supplement (depending on it's quality), multi-vitamins will contain around 30-40 nutrients in them, one apple contains 10,000+ nutrients, there is a massive difference in nutritional value. In addition, a multi-vitamin is made up from chemicals, not whole food, so the body unless deficient in that certain nutrient won't recognise what it is properly and it will just pass though. So if you eat a balanced diet during the day and take a whole food supplement, i don't see any need for a multi-vitamin, unless you're deficient in a certain nutrient and need a synthetic form of it to help balance the body up again, in which case you'll probably be wanting to get an isolated nutrient, not a multi-vitamin..

Did anyone read the study Opra funded? I'm not sure how legit it is or not, but apparently she used her own money to see which vitamin and mineral sups where the best ones. I think they tested a good thousand supplements on the market and something like 80-90% of them came back being completely useless in the body, most of them not even containing the amount of nutrients in them as described on the jar. And apparently the most popular supplements in the US where one of the worst ones tested. I can't remember the whole study.. but I'm pretty sure most whole food supplements came up at the top of the list for best sups, over the nutritional goodness of a multi-vitamin.

Mike ODonnell
01-20-2008, 09:31 AM
80-90% of them came back being completely useless in the body, most of them not even containing the amount of nutrients in them as described on the jar. And apparently the most popular supplements in the US where one of the worst ones tested. I can't remember the whole study.. but I'm pretty sure most whole food supplements came up at the top of the list for best sups, over the nutritional goodness of a multi-vitamin.

So true...bottom line...you can't outsmart nature....as much as science will try....eat whole foods....it's all about nutrient delivery, absorption and utilization...not how many mg....and if you are paranoid about getting scurvy, take a Bam Bam Flinstone chewable if it makes you feel better....

Neill Smith
01-29-2008, 07:48 AM
Is anybody familiar with Greens to Go (http://www.greenstogo.com/index.php)?