PDA

View Full Version : Help with Scapular movements

Sam Cannons
08-23-2007, 05:18 PM
So i found this article on Scapular disorders and am having trouble picturing the movement he describes

Posterior capsular and cuff tightness are best addressed by asking athletes to do daily sleeper stretches. The patient lies on his or her side and performs stretches in 70 degrees, 90 degrees, and 120 degrees of abduction.

Scapular protraction should be mitigated. This is best accomplished through scapular retraction exercises devoted to the muscles most prone to inhibition, the serratus anterior and lower trapezius.

The first stretches can someone explain this movement ? Secondly what are some good examples of Scapular retraction exercises ?

Thankyou

Steve Shafley
08-23-2007, 07:35 PM
http://www.usta.com/healthandfitness/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=67030

Do a search on "sleeper stretch" and you come up with this document:

Are Your Shoulders Hurting Yet?!
Five Tests to See if You Are At Risk For Developing Shoulder Pain
Alan D. Tyson PT, SCS, ATC, CSCS

Which isn't bad, in my opinion.

Steve Shafley
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Also look for "The Disabled Shoulder" series of articles by Burkhart et al. They are available online via PDF as well. A "Disabled Shoulder Burkhard" google will dig them up.

Allen Yeh
08-24-2007, 02:26 AM
Sam,

Did you already read the piece by Hartman and Robertson over at T-nation? They had a video for the neutral grip face pull which is a scapular retraction exercise.

Sam Cannons
08-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Thanks Steve, yeah Allen i liked the article but i had some computer dramas and havent whatched the vids yet. I have just been plague with shoulder pain for months now. Its just a hassle

Allen Yeh
08-25-2007, 05:05 AM
-Where's the pain?
-Certain movements or is it all the time?

Garrett Smith
08-26-2007, 09:44 AM
Face pulls are awesome.

Strengthen the shoulder properly and stretching becomes almost completely unnecessary.

Sam Cannons
08-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Mostly anteria shoulder, doesn't really bother me with work outs just wrestling/bjj. Pain usually radiates from the top of the shoulder... round the front, its not a huge amount of pain, mostly like a stiff joint type feeling with small amount of sharp pain. I have round rowing really helps but i dont have access to a rower ! I had a minor sublaxed ac joint a while back in the other arm and i feels very similar to that, but the last time it healed up within a week or two and i have never had a problem with it since.

Thanks
Sam

Sam Cannons
08-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Strengthen the shoulder properly and stretching becomes almost completely unnecessary.

Garrett can you please elaborate ?

Thankyou
Sam

Garrett Smith
08-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Sam,
If rowing really helps, you should definitely invest in some rubber bands and learn the neutral-grip face pulls. I also like the wall slides.

As for your question, IMO, most shoulder "tightness" is simply due to protective reflexes of shoulder/scapular muscles (most likely due to weakness of links in the chain). Once the links are strong again, the "lost" ROM is regained nearly immediately.

I'm rehabbing a swimmer's shoulders right now. Lots of work on scapular retraction exercises and thoracic mobility. She is swimming stronger and faster, and her shoulder pains, one by one, keep disappearing.

Scott Kustes
08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Scapular stabilization was the key of my post-surgery rehab as well. Now that I have the face pulls to learn, I'll be adding those in, but I've also been using the C2 quite a bit and doing decent numbers of assisted pullups. Just lsat week I was able to get my first 2 pushups and I can now knock out 5 slow ones with no problems. I need to do some more work on those face pulls though as they look to be a good exercise.

Sam Cannons
08-29-2007, 07:51 PM
So face pulls are added to the routine, what is good for Scapular stabilization and thoracic mobility ? Garrett i could find any thing on wall slides other than knee reahb stuff.

Thanks a million

Sam

Allen Yeh
08-30-2007, 06:43 AM
A video for Wall slides can be found near the bottom of the webpage:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1618485&cr=

Garrett Smith
08-30-2007, 12:53 PM
I use Z-Health for mobility exercises:

www.zhealth.net

Cat/cow exercises work, as do the Egoscue elbow touches (I don't remember the proper name).

Sam Cannons
08-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Garrett which Z-Health do you recommend to start with ??

Thankyou

Sam

Garrett Smith
08-31-2007, 12:10 PM
R-Phase.