PDA

View Full Version : What medical tests should I get?

Neill Smith
08-27-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm going for my first physical in a while, and I want to know what tests I can ask for in addition to the usual. I'd like to get as much (useful) information as possible. Any suggestions?

Steve Shafley
08-27-2007, 11:59 AM
How old are you?

Neill Smith
08-27-2007, 01:05 PM
32 years old
6'2"
190#

Steve Shafley
08-27-2007, 01:33 PM
Maybe Garrett will see this. I'm sure he's up on what kinds of tests show interesting things.

It will also depend on what tests they'll want to run. Sometimes they don't want to make any extra work for themselves.

Jared Buffie
08-27-2007, 05:30 PM
DRE :eek:

Just for fun (if you're into that kind of thing)...

Robert McBee
08-27-2007, 05:32 PM
Just from various readings I would have them run a serum insulin level test and a ferritin level test. Dr. Eades and others link bad numbers on these two as a source of lots of potential 'bad stuff'. A c-reactive protein test indicates levels of inflammation which could be revealing of your health status.

Garrett Smith
08-29-2007, 07:22 PM
Basic bloodwork for a healthy person will include a CBC, CMP, thyroid panel, lipid panel. That's about it.

What to add depends upon how much you want to spend, amigo.

CRP high sens., fasting insulin, HgA1C would be some good additions...maybe homocysteine and Lp(a) as well. My MD wouldn't do anything beyond what I listed at the top (covered by insurance), so I figured I'd run everything else I wanted through my office. Still haven't done it yet.