PDA

View Full Version : Sleep question

josh everett
08-27-2007, 05:05 PM
I was wondering what some of your guy's thought were on my sleep habits. Atleast since high school (I'm 32) I've woken up on average 6-12 times a night. I pretty much look at the alarm clock then fall back asleep within the next min or two. I personally enjoy waking up this many times...i love looking at the clock and thinking "I've still got 4 more hours of sleep" or often i go to sleep at 9 wake up for the 1st time at midnight & feel totally refreshed, then i feel like I get to get an extra night of sleep in! Also I'm wound a little tight & I'm one of those guys that can't wait to start the day so part of it is I'm just anxious to "get ahead of pace" on the day.
Recently I've been keeping track & I tend to wake up about 6 times from 9pm to 4am, then that last hour I wake up 4-6 times before the alarm goes off at 5.
I've read alot on this forum on the importance of uninterupted sleep so it's got me sort of worried about my health or if my performace could go up w/better sleep.
Now for the questions... Do you think my sleep pattern is a problem? How can i fix it? (tried ZMA & it had no effect)
thanks, Josh

Elliot Royce
08-27-2007, 06:18 PM
Really it's only a problem if you don't feel refreshed in the morning. You can awaken multiple times per night without ever being aware of it. If you break into consciousness but then descend into deep sleep, you aren't suffering from the pattern.

Derek Simonds
08-28-2007, 03:16 AM
I have very similar sleep patterns. I wake up after 3 -4 hours almost every night. Most of the time I take a leak (in the bathroom of course) then immediately fall back asleep. I have been reading Lights Out and they reference a study that showed when people sleep for longer then 10 hours that their sleep was divided into to 2 deep periods with lots of mini sleeps in the middle. The book is at my office so I will find the page and scan it in later today. This sleep style as I remember it produced better sleep for the people than when someone went to sleep and slept straight through for 8 hours.

I don't typically get to sleep longer than 7 - 8 hours but I seem to follow the exact pattern they describe.

It made me feel a lot better because I have tried everything I know to sleep all the way through the night and can't. I have even quit drinking water after 6 so that I wouldn't need to go to the bathroom and I still woke up.

Chris Forbis
08-28-2007, 04:34 AM
I occasionally wake up, but I have my alarm clock face hidden from view. I can either dig it out from under my bed or roll over and go back to sleep. I tend to opt for the latter. Since the room is pitch black and I don't ever see the time, it is almost as if it didn't even happen.

Allen Yeh
08-28-2007, 05:28 AM
As long as you feel refreshed I'd guess that's what matters in the end right? It doesn't seem like those types of sleep patterns have affected your recovery from your workouts at all since you've been sleeping in that pattern for 16+ years now.

I do wake in the night maybe once or twice but like Derek it's a bathroom break and then right back to bed. I know if I woke like you did I'd be largely useless the next day.

Derek Simonds
08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
I am having technical difficulty with scanning here at the office so here are the page number's in Lights Out. Pages 89 and 90 under the heading The Truth Is Really Out There.

josh everett
08-28-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks Guys!

Steve Liberati
08-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Sounds like the gears are always turning and your mind is always racing. Not good as I'm sure it brings on stress in some form or another. Unless your feeling 100% in the morning, I'd suggest clearing your mind before hitting the sack so you can start completely fresh the following day. Maybe give meditation or reading a book before bed a try before bed, monitor how you feel and go from there. Good luck.

Kevin Anderson
08-29-2007, 08:01 AM
If you are going to have kids soon I wouldn't change a thing.

josh everett
08-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Kevin...I just got married in July. Plan is for the 1st kid in 3 years. I've got some time to sleep yet!!! I guess both my wife & i were good babies..rarely cried & slept thru the night. Please God let it be genetic!

Mark Gebhard
08-29-2007, 03:35 PM
I seem to recall Weston Price making the argument in Nutrition and Physical Degeneration that how well babies sleep at night is related to the mother's diet during pregnancy and while nursing. Once again, Paleo FTW.

Garrett Smith
08-29-2007, 07:03 PM
Move the alarm clock and any other plugged-in items at least 6' away from your head. This includes the plug cord itself. No piece of anything running on A/C power within 6' of the head. This does not include the wall outlet itself (unless the issue does not improve after doing this first step).

Include your cell phone (whether charging or on, the only exception is off or not charging) in this group, as it is sending and receiving a signal whenever it is on.

Report back after trying this for several nights.

josh everett
09-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Garrett
Moved all electrical stuff atleast 6 feet from my head. No change it sleep patterns to report. Thanks for your help though.
Josh

Mike ODonnell
09-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I wonder if going to bed so early (9am) has some affect. Personally I can't even attempt to lie down before 10pm. I do find if I go to bed real early I only need like 6 hours sleep and wake up alot.....otherwise I usually sleep soundly for 8-9 hours if I go to bed around 11pm.

I have also found that if my mind is working and thinking about stuff....I can't sleep well...always up looking at the clock....like a kid waiting for Xmas morning. Might want to keep a pen and pad of paper next to the bed and write down all thoughts or things to do the next day so you are not trying to go to sleep and remember stuff.

As for the electrical stuff I have heard about the whole EMF field thing. I have read that your head of the bed should also be away from outlets. Some people go so far as to hit the circuit breaker for the room they are sleeping in. Personally dont think I would go that far...but if you are experimenting I guess anything is possible.

Garrett Smith
09-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Josh,
Next, for a couple nights, try turning your body 180 degrees in the bed (ie. have your head where your feet used to be). See if there are any changes from that.

Robynne Chartier
11-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I would agree that it is only a problem if you don't feel like you have been to sleep in the morning when you wake up to actually start your day. If you start noticing that you're not feeling refreshed anymore when you get up, maybe you should see a neurologist about doing a sleep study. That would be able to tell you if you have a sleep disorder or if they have anything you could do to help you not wake up so much throughout the night.