PDA

View Full Version : I suspect...

Robb Wolf
11-02-2006, 01:55 PM
This guy does not bathe his muscle in lactate. EVER:
http://svt.se/content/1/c6/41/76/31/040816-holmspanst-kort.asx (http://svt.se/content/1/c6/41/76/31/040816-holmspanst-kort.asx)

Ido sent this to me. Aparently those crossbars are set at 45".

Fit is as Fit does.

Ken Urakawa
11-02-2006, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE

Ido sent this to me. Aparently those crossbars are set at 45".

Fit is as Fit does.[/QUOTE]

That looks a lot higher than that! Looks like he's not even making an effort.

Jeremy Jones
11-02-2006, 03:10 PM
uhh wow.

That almost looks fake.

Chris Forbis
11-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Color me skeptical.

Sam Lepore
11-04-2006, 05:17 AM
That is Fake guys.

The Camera cuts to a different postion when he jumps and then cuts back again after thed jumps

There is no way.

Robb Wolf
11-04-2006, 12:52 PM
It's from a Swedish sports news page. Loads of video ranging from gymnastics to grecco wrestling. I'm pretty sure its legit. The change in camera angles could be nothing more than multiple takes spliced together.

Jonas Lind
11-04-2006, 03:36 PM
That guy is Stefan Holm. One of the worlds best high-jumpers. Thats easy for him. I've seen him doing crazier things. The cool thing is, his only like 1.81 and has a personal best of 2.40.

Chris Forbis
11-04-2006, 06:44 PM
In that case, color me impressed.

I guess part of the reason it looks super-fake is because I am not accustomed to seeing people jump nearly 4' hurdles... just looks odd...

Jeremy Jones
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
It is always nice to see how bad I am in comparison to the best out there.:(

joe murphy
11-09-2006, 02:52 PM
if that's real that's incredible.

hell, even if its fake ...

Robb Wolf
11-10-2006, 12:13 PM
Pre-metcon/CF days I could jump on top of objects that were clavicle high...but I had absolutely NO lactate tollerance. I'm 5'9" (69") and clavicle high is about 53". Keep in mind this is not a vertical leap...this is a jump and tuck but pretty good. I can do pretty well on the Met-con front now but am lucky to get on top of something belly-button high (40").

Legit strength/power athletes can do some sick crap.

-Ross Hunt
11-21-2006, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Robb Wolf;978]Pre-metcon/CF days I could jump on top of objects that were clavicle high...but I had absolutely NO lactate tollerance. I'm 5'9" (69") and clavicle high is about 53". Keep in mind this is not a vertical leap...this is a jump and tuck but pretty good. I can do pretty well on the Met-con front now but am lucky to get on top of something belly-button high (40").

QUOTE]

Robb,

Thanks for your Power Bias articles--interesting reads, fun training.

Has your vert come back as you have started doing more power work and less metcon?

This is something that there doesn't seem to be much info on. Supposedly you can convert fast-twitch to slow twitch but not vice versa, which is why Charlie Francis doesn't has sprinters do 'tempo' instead of steady-state running for GPP. There are no world record oly lifters or sprinters with distance background, so no one looks into it, but: To what extent, practically speaking, can you train for speed after you've hit your muscles with a bunch of endurance training? And do you have to do it a different way? e.g., by using a different ratio of strength training to speed training?

Having gone from years and years of distance running to rowing to CrossFit to oly lifting, this is of practical interest to me. There are probably a bunch of other CrossFit-style endurance converts who would be interested in it, too.

Jonathan Reik
11-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Robb,

A 25% reduction in leaping ability is frightening! Did you find a similar loss in your Oly lifts? I've been just working on my oly lifting lately... preparing for my first meet, but I was thinking of hitting CrossFit whole hog once the meet is over. Your post has given me pause...

You seem to indicate that the jumper is able to do what he does because he never bathes his muscles in lactate... but wouldn't a decathlete necessarily do that to achieve near-world-class 400m times, and excellent 1500m times? And yet, they still put up excellent 100m, HJ, and LJ numbers... :confused:

25% seems like a high price to pay for MetCon glory. :(