PDA

View Full Version : DU's - Help!

Kim Dowse
08-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Not certain this is the correct category for this question...I am having trouble mastering (and that's a stretch) double unders. I recently relocated and the gym here does a ton of double unders in the WODs. I can only get four (five on a good day) in row. I can jump singles all day...well maybe not ALL day. Is there a certain technique that I am missing? Are there common "form" problems that many people encounter? Thanks!

Derek Simonds
08-28-2007, 03:07 AM
They are my nemesis also and as such I haven't devoted the time to them that I should. If you are hitting 4 or 5 in a row I have to believe you have the right tech you just need to build on it.

Scott Kustes
08-28-2007, 06:08 AM
Just keep working at it. And you have to devote some time to it. Last summer I put my mind to getting good at them and went from doing 1 DU every few jumps to doing 20+ DUs in a row. It just takes time.

Neill Smith
08-28-2007, 12:15 PM
It's all about the speed of the rope. Your jumps will stay at the same height, and eventually get shallower as you tire. Focus on moving the rope continuously faster with each turn.

Eva Claire Synkowski
08-28-2007, 01:37 PM
i got better at them by alternating singles and double unders. once you get that, at a pretty quick pace, i found switching to consecutive double unders pretty easy.

and neil's right, its the speed of the rope - not the jump height. you should feel it in your arms, especially once you hit a lot consecutive. 40, 50+

it's worth practicing - single unders dont even come close to being as metabolically taxing as du's.

Kim Dowse
08-29-2007, 06:49 PM
All - thanks for the suggestions! We did the 500 today...last exercise is the 50 DU's. I focused on 2 singles then 1 double and really tried to get my speed of the rope faster. They were much easier (but then again anyting is easier after burpees) today. I only had to stop once:) Again, thanks!

John Vernon
08-31-2007, 03:55 PM
nothing new really...(1) rope speed (2) keep your hands low, which gets pretty hard after awhile. did 50 for time last night in :46 w/ 36 consecutive. I love 'em.

Garrett Smith
09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
I have one of those beaded ropes...seems to slow, I want to try a faster (speed) rope...

John Vernon
09-03-2007, 12:39 PM
get a Boa 2000 from Coach Rut's site, du's will greatly improve.

http://www.crossfitkc.com/gear.php

Scott Kustes
09-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Buddy Lee Aero Speed