PDA

View Full Version : Art Jones, of Nautilus and HIT fame, died today

Steve Shafley
08-28-2007, 08:30 AM
Of Nautilus, HIT, MedX, and The Colorado Experiment fame, among other things.

At 4:40 am.

Now, there's a lot of hate to be said about Art, however, I'm not going to bother at this time. Art was a man who lived on his own terms and did a lot of shit that anyone can look at and say "cool." I think Schimanski's biography "Younger Women, Faster Airplanes, Bigger Crocodiles" of Jones says it all. A lot of the bigger old school HIT guys were PISSED that Schimanski got to publish it, since they were considering similar projects themselves.

What's going to be ridiculous is all the HITtards getting in line to brown nose and ass kiss and kowtow, and then they'll be making shit up about what he did and what he said, and stuff like that.

So, here's to Art Jones, who had a tremendous effect on the American lifting scene, some good, but some of it bad. Nautilus, basically, hammered the nails into the US OL coffin.

Ron Nelson
08-28-2007, 08:37 AM
You may have a career in writing obits. Well put.

What will Ellington Darden do now?

Derek Simonds
08-28-2007, 02:24 PM
He lived outside of Ocala for a long time and founded a pretty crazy place called Jumbolair. Here is an interesting read about it.

http://archives.californiaaviation.org/ganews/msg11422.html

One of the guys I knew growing up and played tennis with was picked by Arthur to model / demonstrate one of his machines that was used to strengthen the lower back. It was the one where you sat on a saddle and hooked your arms around a bar at shoulder height and rotated. He had some lower back trouble and a chiro in town had him training on this machine and his problems went away and that is how he met Arthur.

Lots of crazy stories around here about him.