PDA

View Full Version : Nike Free 3.0

Chris Forbis
09-01-2007, 02:49 PM
I got a pair of Nike Free 3.0s just over two weeks ago. Just wanted to plug the product, as they have instantly become the best pair of running shoes I've ever owned.

I wouldn't recommend jumping in right at the 3.0 if you haven't had any before. But I had some 5.0s and they now feel a little clunky by comparison. And you probably wouldn't want to try anything requiring sudden stops and starts or cuts. But for running they are great. I'm planning on getting some 7.0 trainers to replace my basketball shoes.

I guess the next step in the progression is to get some Vibram Five Fingers. Only one more step after that... barefoot.

Jordan Glasser
09-01-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi Chris,

I've had many pairs of the Nike Free's 3.0, 5.0, & 7.0. They don't all work the same.....meaning, that no cushion, barefoot stimulating experience that changes your body positioning via sensory feedback, changes drastically from the 3.0 to the 7.0. Meaning, the more cushion in the 7's doesn't allow for that barefoot feeling, or, more importantly your feet don't react like you are barefoot. Result, just another pair of shoes. Not the barefoot shoe with the ability to make strong lateral movements. Just my opinion....but, love the 5.0's trainer, loved the 3.0's runner, 7.0's did not deliver what I hoped.

They may work for you.....but, just a heads up,

Jordan

Garrett Smith
09-01-2007, 05:21 PM
The 3.0s are AWESOME running shoes. Love them. My wife and mom now both own pairs as well.

I can't wait to get some Vibrams (probably after I get my OL shoes...).

Chris Forbis
09-01-2007, 06:34 PM
Meaning, the more cushion in the 7's doesn't allow for that barefoot feeling, or, more importantly your feet don't react like you are barefoot. Result, just another pair of shoes. Not the barefoot shoe with the ability to make strong lateral movements.

But surely the 7.0 trainers are better than the giant cement blocks that most basketball shoes are? My 5.0 trainers (generation 1) were not fit for starting/stopping/cutting. Unless they improved things for generation 2 of them...

Jordan Glasser
09-01-2007, 09:03 PM
You're right, probably better then a thick, clunky shoe, like most on the market. But, what I found is this. Running, jogging, sprinting worked wonders for the way I plant my feet with both the 3.0 & 5.0. The lack of heel cushioning force me to stay away from heel stricking. That's why I love them so much. But, the 7.0's have more of a heel cushion, which allow for comfortable heel striking, and as a result feel like I'm wearing a regular type of shoe. (with limited support.)

Just throwing this out there.....but when playing a sport that involves jumping, landing, cutting, don't you want a shoe that will be able to slightly cushion the impact. Because we won't always be in good alignment.

Again, I am not saying dont' buy them, because you may really love them. But, remembering that barefoot walking and running is a hell of a lot different then barefoot basketball. Sometimes support is necesarry, IMO.

William Hunter
09-02-2007, 06:04 AM
Interesting. I've been tooling around in the 5.0's for the past 5 months and love them. In addition to sprints I've started some 2 and 3 mile tempo runs in them. I just saw that they have also come out with a trail runner version. I run on trails at least once a week, and up to now have reverted back to some old NB trail shoes (mostly b/c I want my frees to last as long as possible).

Has anyone seen the trail shoes? I have to imagine they'll be more like the 7.0's but was just checking.

Chris Forbis
09-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Interesting. I've been tooling around in the 5.0's for the past 5 months and love them. In addition to sprints I've started some 2 and 3 mile tempo runs in them. I just saw that they have also come out with a trail runner version. I run on trails at least once a week, and up to now have reverted back to some old NB trail shoes (mostly b/c I want my frees to last as long as possible).

Has anyone seen the trail shoes? I have to imagine they'll be more like the 7.0's but was just checking.

http://walking.about.com/od/prshoe/gr/nikefreetrail.htm

Tony Ferous
09-13-2007, 06:30 PM
What with the heavy 1 legged eccentric pounding the calves must take when running barefoot or in free's, has anyone noted better calf development....this is a purely narcissistic question!
Certainly my soleus ached for a week the last time i ran a the beach.

William Hunter
09-14-2007, 04:48 AM
What with the heavy 1 legged eccentric pounding the calves must take when running barefoot or in free's, has anyone noted better calf development....this is a purely narcissistic question!
Certainly my soleus ached for a week the last time i ran a the beach.

Perhaps a bit. There's nothing quite like the soreness from the first run or two without a heel strike :)

However, in my former life I ran about 30 miles a week with a standard shoe and heel strike, and my calves developed a good bit. The real bonus for me has been the strengthening of the intrinsic muscles of the feet (Free's + daily foot drills) and the lack of knee pain when running.

Garrett Smith
09-14-2007, 08:38 AM
Foot drills plus jumping rope will have your calves in shape in no time (for running)...

William Hunter
09-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Haven't purchased the NikeFreeTrail yet, but decided to tackle my very hilly 5mi trail run in the 5.0's for the first time (had been using old trail shoe for this run vs Free's for neighborhood/asphalt runs).

Wow, what a foot/ankle workout! I had to go slower and pay closer attention to where my feet were going to land. Dare I say a heel strike is starting to feel unnatural? (wasn't sure if I'd ever get there) Caught a couple of rocks that jabbed me pretty good but other than that it was a fine mountain scamper, with once again no post run knee soreness.

It will be a while before I'm ready for the Vibrams.

John Vernon
10-08-2007, 04:45 PM
just returned from sports authority where I picked up 2 pair of the 5.0 v2's for $30 a pop...got both pair they had because I've been lurking for a pair of these in the clearance aisle for some time. I'm pretty excited about 'em, I've had the same pair of nike racing flats for about 2 years now so I think it's time for a change.

Scott Kustes
10-12-2007, 05:07 AM
So how do you folks like your Frees for sprinting? Does it take some working up to it to keep from destroying the balls of the feet? And I mean balls to the wall, 100% effort 100m sprints. I'm in the market for some new shoes and want to take a look at these.

Allen Yeh
10-12-2007, 05:30 AM
So how do you folks like your Frees for sprinting? Does it take some working up to it to keep from destroying the balls of the feet? And I mean balls to the wall, 100% effort 100m sprints. I'm in the market for some new shoes and want to take a look at these.

I haven't had a problem doing 40m-100m balls out sprinting in my Free's BUT I've had my some version of the Free for a while at this point. I don't have the 3.0's but I have 5.0 trainer, 7.0 trainer, 7.0 runner (I was actually looking to get either the 5.0 or 3.0 runner but the 7.0's were on sale for only $30!).

Scott Kustes
10-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Great...thanks Allen. So for someone coming from the typical clunky running shoes, what would you recommend? The 7.0s? 5.0s? Trainer or runner?

John Alston
10-12-2007, 07:01 AM
just returned from sports authority where I picked up 2 pair of the 5.0 v2's for $30 a pop...got both pair they had because I've been lurking for a pair of these in the clearance aisle for some time. I'm pretty excited about 'em, I've had the same pair of nike racing flats for about 2 years now so I think it's time for a change.

Nice score. That's the kind of shopping trip I'd love to have, along with a pair pf clearance Adidstar weightlifting shoes...

Allen Yeh
10-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Great...thanks Allen. So for someone coming from the typical clunky running shoes, what would you recommend? The 7.0s? 5.0s? Trainer or runner?

What will you be using them for? If it's just straight running the runners are a bit lighter and there is less "stuff" on the shoes too. However if it's for all kinds of different training I'd say the trainers since I do feel like the strap is helpful.

The numbers are supposed to be a scale between regular shoes(10) and being barefoot(0). I actually just started with a 5.0 at the time 7.0's didn't exist yet. There are also guidelines in the show box that I'd recommend you follow. My feet were kind of sore the first few weeks and I had to definitely adjust the way I ran.

I love these shoes and going back to "regular" sneakers is pretty uncomfortable.

Right now I wear my 5.0 and 7.0 trainers for met-cons, and everyday type shoes. I only wear my 5.0 runners for running and sprinting. I wear wrestling shoes for lifting.

Scott Kustes
10-12-2007, 08:24 AM
I'll be using them for sprinting and Metcons mainly. I very rarely run any kind of distance, but there may be an occasional 5K (very occasional). I think I'll try out the 5.0 and 7.0 runners and see how they feel. I also need to get some real weight lifting shoes for heavy lifting, but that's neither here nor there.

Thanks for the info.

Allen Yeh
10-12-2007, 08:57 AM
I'll be using them for sprinting and Metcons mainly. I very rarely run any kind of distance, but there may be an occasional 5K (very occasional). I think I'll try out the 5.0 and 7.0 runners and see how they feel. I also need to get some real weight lifting shoes for heavy lifting, but that's neither here nor there.

Thanks for the info.

Oh I almost forgot, I'd recommend going a 1/2 size up on these.

Scott Kustes
10-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Good to know. Why do you rec. that?

Mike ODonnell
10-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Oh I almost forgot, I'd recommend going a 1/2 size up on these.

my guess...foot swelling with the initial use of more muscles from your feet vs the old clunky running shoes. Great tip Allen, thanks! I need to hit sports authority for the $30 shoes....cause last time I saw them they were selling somewhere for $80 and there is nothing (nike) "free" about that!

Allen Yeh
10-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Good to know. Why do you rec. that?

I've always been an 11.5 with my regular running shoes, after trying a 12 and a 11.5 the 12 just felt better.

Also not positive on the this last thing but I think your supposed to be sans socks and I just don't like doing that in my shoes so perhaps that is why at 11.5 they feel a little tighter?

John Vernon
10-15-2007, 02:00 PM
I need to hit sports authority for the $30 shoes

good luck MOD, it took me about 3 months to track down these on the clearance aisle, in SA..they always had a 1/2 too small or too big.

Also not positive on the this last thing but I think your supposed to be sans socks and I just don't like doing that in my shoes so perhaps that is why at 11.5 they feel a little tighter?

I go no socks and got my standard size 11, so far so good.

For the record, these are sweet! I did a couple days break in of just walking and went for my first run yesterday...I'm hooked.

Garrett Smith
10-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I've always worn 10.5s in Nikes, the Frees stayed the same size for me. If I wear slightly thicker socks they can feel a bit tighter than I'd like.

Definitely try them on with your training socks and at the end of the day, a half size up may be just the ticket.

John Vernon
10-16-2007, 02:36 PM
if you do go sans socks I've got two very important words for you...odor eaters.

Doug Mewhirter
10-22-2007, 01:15 PM
I am in the market for a new pair of training shoes that I will do almost all exercising in (i.e. Crossfit, PMenu WOD, etc.) My current shoes are the standard spongy running shoes.

The Nike Frees sound interesting, but would they hinder my snatch/C&J/ squat form? (Realize that I use spongy running shoes for this now, and I don't lift anything really heavy). I realize that oly shoes would be ideal, but I think a good all around training shoe would be useful.

I would think that the Frees would be less spongy on the heel and actually improve things from a WL perspective. I also like walking barefoot (I don't wear shoes in the house) and taking the same feeling outdoors might be beneficial.

Garrett Smith
10-22-2007, 02:06 PM
I would not lift heavy in my 3.0s. I save these for running/walking, that's about it.

I do lift decent weights in my 5.0s trainers. I like the 5.0s for workouts that are CF style. If the workout fits, I'll typically do it barefoot, including heavy lifting. I'm working on getting some OL shoes.

Remember that the 5.0s are significantly stiffer rubber than the 3.0s. Just because they're all Nike Free's doesn't mean they are all the same with the weights on your back.

Tony Ferous
10-24-2007, 12:43 AM
I did a 20 min run in my new 3 frees yesterday, damn my soleus's(sol-i?) ache!! They must be good for you.
I do wonder if i could have just bought 'plimsoles' or some pink ballerina type shoes for 10 bucks to save my feet from syringes etc.

Chris Forbis
05-03-2008, 07:29 AM
I've been using Free 7.0 trainers as basketball shoes the last few weeks. They are completely awesome for this purpose. I had some first generation 5.0s and currently have some 3.0s. Neither one of those are very good for anything requiring aggressive starts, stops, or cuts. The 7.0s are. They are bulkier and more normal-shoe-like than the 3.0 and 5.0, but still extremely minimal to most basketball shoes.

Jared Buffie
05-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Couple of thoughts...

Bought a pair of 3.0's in Orlando at the outlets for $40. Ran 2 5K's in the next 2 days (don't ask, not a normal practice) and for the first time ever my calves were not sore afterwards. I atribute it to the fact that in most ruunning shoes the heel is higher than the ball, so the foot is "pre-plantar flexed". Who knows.

Also, MOD try the outlets up GA 400 next time you head out to Chiccappee or Central Park on your mountain bike. My wife found a couple of pairs up there when we lived close to there for around $30.

Scott Kustes
05-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I didn't end up getting Nike Frees as a) I couldn't find any in the city to try on and b) they don't seem to make a shoe for sprinting. I ended up with a very lightweight, minimally padded Asics road flat for sprint training. It has just enough padding in the ball of the foot to keep me from destroying my feet on the track.

Garrett Smith
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
My outlet didn't have any shoes worth even trying on, much less some 3.0s...

Yael Grauer
05-04-2008, 11:22 PM
My outlet didn't have any shoes worth even trying on, much less some 3.0s...

I found 3.0's at one of the sports stores...I forget which one, I think it was Sports Authority or Big Five or something...

Allen Yeh
05-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Anyone tried these?

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7394054/c/138975.html

Nike Free Dynamic = 7.0 trainers?

Garrett Smith
05-05-2008, 05:59 AM
Allen,
Those look more like the 5.0 trainers to me...

Allen Yeh
05-05-2008, 07:01 AM
I was thinking about them. *shrugs*

Dave Paton
05-05-2008, 12:56 PM
I recommend going a .5 size bigger.