PDA

View Full Version : Seasonal Eating

Jordan Glasser
09-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I've been thinking about trying to eat seasonally this winter. I am after some opinions/guidelines. First thing to note is I live in Whistler, BC, Canada.

I do know, that seasonal our not, I do have to replace my CHO after workouts. But, I am curious on whether it is possible or advisable to maintain an active lifestyle while sticking to eating foods only available to me in the winter.

Part of me is saying that I don't sleep 14 hours a day in the winter, so why should I eat that way? But, having said that, I would love to eat foods that are available locally, and eat according to season.

Thoughts and opinions please......

Robb Wolf
09-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Jordan-
You folks are still pretty warm in the winter, yes? If you have nay farmers markets still going that would be perfect. yams, squash and citrus seem perfect for dense carb sources.

Jordan Glasser
09-07-2007, 09:16 AM
Warm.....well, it's more of an issue living in the mountains and snow. But, within a 100 mile radius, I would definitely say it stays warm in the winter.

Kim Chase
09-12-2007, 12:34 PM
I've been reading up on this one as well (I live in Montana). Mother Earth News had a good article about it recently (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Whole-Foods-and-Cooking/2007-08-01/Seasonal-Eating.aspx) and I just finished reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver, which looks at her family's quest for local, and therefore seasonal, eating. Great book!

Beef, pork, big game, root vegetables, winter squash, are all good winter foods (along with whatever you preserve!). Eggs are seasonal later in the winter until the fall. Poultry is best in spring and summer, just when the beef is at it's low point.

Sam Cannons
09-12-2007, 01:27 PM
We have two seasons in Cairns

Hot and Wet in summer or Hot and Dry in 'winter'

Mike ODonnell
09-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Guinness is always in season.