PDA

View Full Version : Light headed?

Rob Harris
09-07-2007, 07:27 AM
One thing I have noticed since I adopted this way of life is that I seem to get dizzy when I stand up almost all the time now. Don't know if it is BP related or what, but wanted to get your input.

Thanks,

Rob

Mike ODonnell
09-07-2007, 08:10 AM
I'm guessing it is either low blood pressure or low blood sugar. You may be hypoglycemic....either way...always good to have a blood test and/or bp taken to see what is going on.

Greg Battaglia
09-07-2007, 08:13 AM
What is your blood pressure? If your blood pressure is too low it's probably due to the very low level of sodium in the Paleo Diet, which is usually a good thing for most people. For some people, myself included, you need a higher level of salt in your diet to keep your blood volume high enough to get blood where it needs to be (like your brain for instance!). If low BP happens to be the case, then try adding more salt to your diet in the form of unrefined sea salt, but never table salt. Also make sure you stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.

Alternatively, it could be caused by hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). How long ago did you adopt this way of eating? It could be that your body has yet to adapt to burning fat as your main source of fuel. Also, what do your macro nutrient intakes look like, how much protein, fat, and carbs? How many calories are you eating each day? Are you sleeping well? It could be a lot of things.

Garrett Smith
09-07-2007, 11:08 AM
This modern stress-full lifestyle and intense exercise really tap out the adrenals. A low-sodium diet may compound the issue (which likely wasn't much of an issue in the Paleo days due to no chronic stressors, only acute).

I had the same thing for a while, particularly around dietary change periods. I've recently been reducing my salt intake as much as I can stand (as in no or very little added salt, and I like salt a lot) and have not noticed any reoccurence of symptoms.

Either give it some time or try adding a measured amount of salt to your daily food intake to gauge the effect.

Rob Harris
09-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the responses. If I had to bet, I would bet on lowered BP due to the drop in sodium... I have been eating this way for about 5 weeks I guess. I noticed this side effect almost immediately. As far as sleep goes, I have posted in threads about how mine has always sucked. I just moved and need to re-blacken out the room, I wear earplugs, etc..

I'm not obsessive about my macro breakdowns as my activity level helps me stay 10%bf or below pretty much all the time now.