PDA

View Full Version : The 100% cacao challenge

Chris Forbis
09-08-2007, 06:02 PM
Whilst shopping at the store today, I decided to buy some Ghiradelli 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate. Call it an impulse purchase.

Anybody else enjoy unsweetened chocolate? I had never had it before, as I remember when I was a youth that my mother warned me that it tasted awful. I must say, it was rather bitter, but not entirely unenjoyable. I've eaten far worse things for the sake of paleo eating and my health.

It also seems like it would be positively divine if you melted it into a tall cup of homemade joe.

David Aguasca
09-08-2007, 06:57 PM
i'm big on chocolate. it's one of the only non-paleo things i eat.

100% is too much for me, but i do eat 88% on a regular basis. it's wonderfully bitter but still has some added sugar, so it's not overbearing.

http://www.chocolatebar.com/shop/p-21-extreme-dark-chocolate.aspx

i'll only eat chocolate if it's over 70% cocoa...anything under will most likely start adding dairy and have too much sugar. plus, 70+ tastes better. :)

i do use the 100% to make hot cocoa. then, i'll usually add a little bit of honey, some vanilla, and cayenne pepper. good stuff.

William Hunter
09-09-2007, 07:39 AM
My wife just bought some dark chocolate that was 80%. That was about right for me. I agree with David that 100% would be too much. A couple of dark squares is a nice treat.

I've refined my tastes a little bit over the years, from the all-night drinking followed by spooning out the chocolate icing out of the jar.

Garrett Smith
09-09-2007, 07:51 AM
It was way too much for me. I had to put honey on it to make it palatable.

I've come to notice that eating chocolate (any percent) gives me a stuffy nose, soon to be followed by a runny nose, so I tend to stay away now.

Scott Kustes
09-09-2007, 10:08 AM
I enjoy 100%, althought 85% is much tastier. I like the bitterness, but sometimes add a bit of honey or almond butter to it.

Steve Liberati
09-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Ironically enough, I just picked up a jar of the Ghiradelli 100% cacao brand the other day myself when I stopped by Wegman's for lunch. Great for satisfying that sweet tooth or that extra treat following a long day of work and an intense 3 on/1 off training schedule. Make chocolate balls with the cocoa using one of the recipes from an old PM journal. Makes a great low-carb, omega packed, low sugar guilt-free snack.

David Aguasca
09-09-2007, 07:08 PM
steve, do you remember which issue it was?

Gittit Shwartz
09-09-2007, 10:40 PM
I ate Lindt 99% chocolate once when I was visiting New York. It was amazing - although I couldn't liken it to anything else in the world that tasted good, since it was terribly bitter. Maybe I was craving something in it (I know magnesium is a common excuse for women to binge on chocolate...)
I get the stuffy nose too, at least from the 70-85% varieties I can get here in Israel. The 99% made me feel good but I haven't been able to test it again.
G

Tony Ferous
09-14-2007, 07:32 PM
I bought some raw cocoa power, apparently not heat or solvent treated and 360% more antioxidants than regular cocoa powder.
Less convenient than chocolate obviously, ive tried mixing it with coffee, but I just had a spoonful staight from the packet. Be careful it doesnt come out of your nose!

per 100g, it has 8.9g fat, 18g protein, no crabs, 560mg mg, 1700mg potassium, ans wait for it...71grams of sodium! Ill take that with a pinch of salt...

Yael Grauer
09-15-2007, 09:45 AM
mix it with honey and coconut oil, yum!! then freeze it or just use it as a yummy chocolatey sauce...mmmmm, soooo sooo good....

Allen Yeh
09-15-2007, 10:07 AM
mix it with honey and coconut oil, yum!! then freeze it or just use it as a yummy chocolatey sauce...mmmmm, soooo sooo good....

mmm cockroach pieces! :D

Chris Forbis
09-15-2007, 11:22 AM

That sounds really good. How do you freeze it? In a cupcake wrapper or something?

Yael Grauer
09-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Gross!! I accidentally lost a bunch of weight and was trying to forget about all that! I hear it's only true about shit chocolate anyway.

Yael Grauer
09-16-2007, 03:06 PM
That sounds really good. How do you freeze it? In a cupcake wrapper or something?

You are supposed to refrigerate it but I always freeze it if it's an emergency, which it always is with me. :) I just put it in glass and then I cut it into squares with one of the many knives I have lying around in random locations in my apartment. I believe that was a run-on sentence, but I'm not sure.

Chris Forbis
09-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Mixing ratio of chocolate : honey : coconut oil ?

David Aguasca
09-16-2007, 06:03 PM

hey, cockroaches are paleo, so no worries.

Yael Grauer
09-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Mixing ratio of chocolate : honey : coconut oil ?

2:1 cocoa powder to coconut oil, honey to taste. I like it sticky sweet, but to each their own. Cocoa powder, then oil, stir stir stir. You can use a baking pan; I usually use glass just because. Raw honey and raw cacao powder and the really high quality coconut oil are best, but most of us are poor so we do what we can.

I want to try this with cookie cutters to make fun shapes.

Oh, speaking of cookie cutters...anybody got a good oatmeal raisin cookie recipe for an LSD runner with a sweet tooth? I only know how to bake chocolate chip, peanut butter and peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.