PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop eating!?

Jordan Glasser
09-11-2007, 11:20 PM
I know I've been on the right track because everyone I know thinks I am crazy!

Now for the problem at hand..... I have a had a couple of days where I can't stop eating. I am talking 1500 calories in a meal, and still hungry. And repeating that 3 or 4 times a day for consecutive days. 2 things, what in hell should I be eating under these circumstances? Fats, protein, carbs? Doesn't really matter how much protein I eat, still hungry. Same for carbs and fats. I've been trying to guess as to what my body's craving, but, singling out each macro-nutrient hasn't solved the problem. I am guessing my body wants something! I have been bouncing all over the place. Mon/tue of last week, ate my house empty, thur/friday, had 20 hour fast (could've made it 30+ hours, wasn't really hungry before bed, but didn't want to take it too far!). And now this week, again, can't stop eating!!!!
All I can think of is Light's out, and the weather has been all over the place. Some days it feels like it's the beginning of winter, and the next, it's summer weather all over again. Even if that's the explanation, I still don't know what to do!!! I feel like a food addict....wait, doesn't go something like this....
Hi, my name is Jordan, and I am a food-a-holic.

Help me.... before I chew up my keyboard...

It would be important to know, I'm paleo, with zone intentions. I try to stay within 16 blocks a day. But, will allow for more cals when I feel it's necessary. My fat to protein ratio has been constant at 1.5/1. Basically if I eat more protein during the day, i eat more fat to keep up. And I'll fast if I can, it's about once a week right now.

Steve Liberati
09-12-2007, 04:25 AM
Being up at 2:39 AM (as indicated as the bottom of your post) may be the culprit and the reason you're hungry around the clock. Lack of (quality & quantity) sleep will throw your hormones out of whack, raise prolactin levels, lower melatonin levels...a whole bunch of negative sides that send mix signals to your body causing it to function incorrectly (i.e always hungry). As prescribed in Lights Out, work on getting a good night sleep, keep sugar levels low, eat fiber packed fruits and veggies for carbs, lean protein (duh), and 2x 3x's the fat you normally do.

Jordan Glasser
09-12-2007, 06:50 AM
Steve,

I cannot disagree with sleep, my schedule is killing me right now! I am a trainer, and have clients almost every morning, and am still working a few nights a week waiting tables. Basically busting my ass to one day open my own crossfit gym, but, a location to rent in whistler are few and far between. Unless of course you have more money then you know what to do with.....

In fairness, I am on the west coast, and it was before midnight.....
And, even though I would love to be able to read myself to sleep at 9 everynight, it's not an option right now. I guess as far as sleep goes....it is something I cannot change at the moment.

Mike ODonnell
09-12-2007, 07:22 AM
Being up at 2:39 AM (as indicated as the bottom of your post) may be the culprit and the reason you're hungry around the clock. Lack of (quality & quantity) sleep will throw your hormones out of whack, raise prolactin levels, lower melatonin levels...a whole bunch of negative sides that send mix signals to your body causing it to function incorrectly (i.e always hungry). As prescribed in Lights Out, work on getting a good night sleep, keep sugar levels low, eat fiber packed fruits and veggies for carbs, lean protein (duh), and 2x 3x's the fat you normally do.

Great catch Steve has there.....Jordan I would suggest "Lights Out" (you can skip over the alien dna stuff in it...) but basically it links staying up late and artificial lighting to the increased appetite because of the feast-famine seasonal cycle. Summer is the feast cycle with long days (as signaled by the body from light...which it can detect even with your eyes closed). So staying up late, TV, computer, lights, etc....all signal summer.....so feast...feast...feast.

On a personal note I found the whole zone and eating every 3 hours insane to my hungers and cravings. Also I find coffee and some ACV (not together!!) as appetite suppresents....but that's just me.

Garrett Smith
09-12-2007, 09:48 AM
Get on a good multi to cover your micronutrient bases. I can help you with this if you'd like.

Jordan Glasser
09-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Get on a good multi to cover your micronutrient bases. I can help you with this if you'd like.

I'd love some help, thanks!

MOD, ACV and coffee works for me too. At least during the times when I am able to fast. As for zone-ing, this time around it has been more of a way to count carbs, fats and protein on a daily basis. I am not too worried about what each meal looks like, and how often I eat, but rather coming close to the required blocks at the end of the day. I do most days feel like I need more protein, so I add more, and the same goes for fat. And thanks to your advice already, I have been more diligent on PWO carbs, which have proven to help keep my glycogen levels up, and maintain repeated high output metcon workouts.

And lights out, read it, loved it! But, I can't really change my work situation at this time, which means my sleep scenario isn't changeable for the time being. I wish I could change it, but, sleep is what it is...for now. I go to bed as early as possible, fall asleep to a book, not my computer, and have removed whatever lights I could.

Mike ODonnell
09-12-2007, 10:13 AM
along hunger lines...this article is right in your wheel house...

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=933

A calorie is a calorie, but macronutrient ratios are more important....load up on FAT! Keep the carbs pwo. Hunger is just a hormonal process....hormones love fat....

Garrett Smith
09-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Calories are only calories when they are outside the body...

Calories within the same macronutrients aren't even the same...ie. 100 calories of active carbs from whole beets is way different in effects on the system as opposed to 100 cals of beet sugar.

It's exactly due to the hormonal effect of different macronutrients that the "calorie theory" is mostly bunk.

Counting calories without appreciating their source is the nutritional equivalent of trying to isolate bodyparts BBing style. Something is just never quite right...

Jordan Glasser
09-15-2007, 03:07 AM
Counting calories without appreciating their source is the nutritional equivalent of trying to isolate bodyparts BBing style. Something is just never quite right...

Great analogy!

Allison Barns
09-15-2007, 02:25 PM
along hunger lines...this article is right in your wheel house...

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=933

A calorie is a calorie, but macronutrient ratios are more important....load up on FAT! Keep the carbs pwo. Hunger is just a hormonal process....hormones love fat....

Mike,
Nice article, thanks for posting the link.

Also, I wanted to let you know that I have been using a lot more ACV lately and every time I notice it damping the muchies I think "MOD was right!"

Allison

David Wood
09-15-2007, 05:40 PM
ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar?

Jordan Glasser
09-15-2007, 06:47 PM
ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar?

exactly!

Derek Simonds
09-16-2007, 06:46 AM
How much ACV are you guys downing at a time? I have played with it in the past putting some in my PWO shakes but never used it consistently.

Jordan I also struggle with my sleep schedule due to work. There were several days last week where I was up at 4:30 am to catch a flight and didn't get to my hotel until after 9:00 pm local time. So I was on the move for 19 hours at a time and I promise you on those days I could of ate a house. It was everything I had not to gorge at every meal. The days when I am not traveling and am in bed at a decent time i.e. 9:30 my hunger is totally under control the entire next day.

One of the techniques I have tried to adopt is to do IF on days when I know I will be up for a long time. I have found this helps a lot. So if you get to bed late and are going to be up early than have that be one of your fast days for the week.

Good Luck.

Jordan Glasser
09-16-2007, 08:16 AM
One of the techniques I have tried to adopt is to do IF on days when I know I will be up for a long time. I have found this helps a lot.

Good Luck.

I have been trying hard to fast when I know it will be a long day. But, I can't say that I can do that all the time! As for ACV and how much? I have been using it daily, sometimes twice a day. I have not reached too much, but, that would be sticktly subjective. An expert could chime in on that one.

I had another hunger day yesterday, so what I did is eat carbs only PWO, and ate nothing but meats and oils. I figured there are only so many pounds of ground meat one can consume in a day..... Which seemed to be ok for me. I will do my best to fast today, and when I do eat, keep the protein and food intake to a minimum. which as long as I don't workout, I don't see myself being hungry for a long time to come. If I limit myself to one meal this evening, I would be right on track. If would be the key word in that sentence!
On a small note, ACV and coffee does help supress my appetite, but, 2-4 cups of coffee to get it done seems excessive? Yes, NO?

Allison Barns
09-16-2007, 11:01 AM
How much ACV are you guys downing at a time? I have played with it in the past putting some in my PWO shakes but never used it consistently.

Derek,
I am finding ACV helpful by drinking about 8 oz of water with 2-3 teaspoons of ACV first thing in the morning (helps me wake up to make my coffee!:D ). I also drink a glass of water and ACV while I prepare dinner. I find that using ACV as a dressing over whatever veggies I eat cuts on the amount of salt I may be temped to put on it and increases my satiety with the meal.

Allison

Mike ODonnell
09-16-2007, 11:10 AM
more ACV lately and every time I notice it damping the muchies I think "MOD was right!"

I know how much that has got to hurt to admit that. :D

Allison Barns
09-16-2007, 02:55 PM
I know how much that has got to hurt to admit that. :D

MOD,
It doesn't hurt directly... However I am currently steeling myself for the screams from those that spit water/coffee/Guiness/whatever onto their computers when they read my admission! :D

Allison

Jane Michel
10-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I am finding ACV helpful by drinking about 8 oz of water with 2-3 teaspoons of ACV first thing in the morning (helps me wake up to make my coffee!:D ). I also drink a glass of water and ACV while I prepare dinner. I find that using ACV as a dressing over whatever veggies I eat cuts on the amount of salt I may be temped to put on it and increases my satiety with the meal.

i don't think i heard of ACV before this and i'm gonna try it now!!