PDA

View Full Version : back, front, and overhead squats

Brandon Enos
09-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Is there any formula, or chart, or anything that one can use to determine what their front and overhead squat one-rep maxs are based off of your one rep back squat. Ie, you haveing a 400 pound back squat means your front squat is x pounds and your overhead is y pounds.

I have doubts that there is anything, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Allen Yeh
09-13-2007, 10:06 AM
I've read a couple of places that a front squat should be 80% of your back squat. I can't currently remember where I found that number though sorry.

I'm not sure about a correlation between OHS and BS though.

Eric Jones
09-13-2007, 10:10 AM
In my experience, Front Squat for most people will be about 80% of their Back Squat while the OHS doesn't have much to do with the other lifts since it is mostly core strength, flexibility, and being used to the technique. I have had clients come to me that could back squat 350+lbs but couldn't OHS 95.

Eric Jones
09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
haha we just posted the same thing at the same time, Allen

Chris Forbis
09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
You might want to fire off something to Dan John.

He has a Spider Chart for this stuff, if I remember correctly. The file doesn't appear to be up anymore on his site.

I incorporated most of the info into a spreadsheet. If I get some time on my hands I might dig out what I've got...

This link might be of help. Maybe try to extrapolate OHS numbers from the snatch?

http://www.powerandbulk.com/img/SpiderResults.gif

Derek Simonds
09-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Peter was doing a survey. Hopefully he will see this thread and post some results.

Chris Forbis
09-13-2007, 06:17 PM
Ok, using Dan John's Spider Web Chart and some other resources (which I have now forgotten), I put a spreadsheet together a while back that computed stuff out for me.

FS 86% of BS
OHS 69% of BS

I think I used the Spider Chart to get the clean and front squat poundages from a given back squat poundage. I then assumed that clean : front squat = snatch : ohs

Not worth much, but there are numbers there.

Leo Soubbotine
09-14-2007, 04:43 PM
Fs/bs = 74% (285/374)
Ohs/bs = 51% (192/374)

Jordan Glasser
09-15-2007, 10:13 AM
I have the spider chart on my computer, but can't seem to upload it:mad: But if you want it I can email to you.

Jordan

-Ross Hunt
09-15-2007, 11:42 AM
Keep in mind that the limiting factor in the OHSQ is shoulder strength, not leg strength, so there is no necessary correlation.

Also, the numbers are for snatch-grip OHSQs. If you have the flexibility to do a jerk-grip overhead squat, you can handle significantly more weight, especially if you are built for it (i.e., short). It has been said that some chinese oly lifters jerk-grip OHSQ more than they front squat--their shoulders can handle the load, and the OHSQ puts the load at a position with better leverage than the FSQ, more directly above the COG.

Yael Grauer
02-20-2008, 10:20 PM
I have the spider chart on my computer, but can't seem to upload it:mad: But if you want it I can email to you.

Jordan

Jordan, can you send it to me? I want to pass it on to this guy at my gym.

John Alston
02-21-2008, 06:21 AM
The only formula I have is:
If my back, front and overhead squats are A, B, and C, respectively,

then A, B, and C all ought to be bigger than they are now.

Jordan Glasser
02-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Jordan, can you send it to me? I want to pass it on to this guy at my gym.

Hopefully this works.

Yael Grauer
02-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Hopefully this works.

Thanks!!

sarena kopciel
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Spoke to my coach today about this. he said that elite lifters FS can be as high as 85% of BS!
Last time I maxed:
FS 65kg
BS 80kg

I can probably go higher now but havent in a bit!

Now OHS has a lot to do with flexibility and shoulder mobility as already said!

Kelly Frankson
02-25-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm 5'3 and weigh 130lbs and have a backsquat at 253, front squat at 235 (93%) and an overhead squat down at 155 (61%).

However my limiting factor with the overhead squat is not the squat or even the shoulder strength, it is pushjerking the bar off my back in snatch grip.

(I've been doing crossfit for 1.5 years and o-lifting for 4 months)

Dave Paton
02-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Kelly,

Is there anyway you can do the OHS off of blocks? this would eliminate the need to push it off of your shoulders. Plus being 5'3, the blocks don't need to be that high!