PDA

View Full Version : I'm new here and need some help

Jacob Dickinson
09-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Hello all. I could you some advice as far as traing goes. I am very weak as far as upperbody strength. I am going to try starting the simplefit program. My question as far as endurance goes is I am planning on climbing Mt. Shasta next year. What kind of workout plan should I try using to increase my endurance for this? I was doing a jog/walk program but have since started concentrating on longer sprint intervals. Is this a good way to go? Any info/advice would be great. Thanks.

Frank Needham
09-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Once you've gotten through the simplefit program there is always crossfit, a good program for gpp which would easily allow you to tackle your goal and more. BTW, is that all you want out of being fit, is to climb Mt Shasta?

Greg Everett
09-17-2007, 07:47 PM
Simplefit and crossfit are good places to start. Training specifically for a long, steep hike like that is best done hiking long, steep trails. Along the same lines as running marathons. No amount of work in the gym can prepare the body fully for that kind of extended, low-intensity, uber-highly repetitive type work. So let CF get your general fitness in order, and add some progressively longer and more strenuous hikes. A week or two out from the trip, back way off the volume and intensity - keep training and hiking, but keep it brief and easy.