PDA

View Full Version : Paleo-izing a recipe

Chris Forbis
09-15-2007, 05:39 PM
The favorite thing my mom cooked when I was growing up was a chicken recipe. It is at the bottom.

I made my first foray into the world of cooking an actual meal (as opposed to preparing food) last weekend. It was with this recipe and was quite successful.

This weekend I tried to paleo-ize the recipe. I subbed 1/2 cup of almond meal for the bread crumbs. While it was still good, it was a bit dry.

Is there anything I can do to make it not quite so dry? Lower temperature? Less time?

Help, please.

Meat: 1.5 lbs boneless chicken breast
Breading: 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese, 1 tsp basil, 1 tsp oregano, 1/2 tsp garlic salt
Sauce: 2/3 cup butter, 1/4 cup dry white wine, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, 1/4 cup chopped green onion

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Dip chicken breasts in melted butter (prior to addition of other sauce ingredients) and roll in breading. Place in pan and cook for 50 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare sauce and bring to boil. After the 50 minutes, remove pan and top each piece with sauce. Cook for 5 more minutes. Remove and top with remaining sauce. Serve.

Garrett Smith
09-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Some things to try:

Reduce the cooking time by 10 minutes (50 minutes seems like a lot, unless the breasts are frozen)

Marinate the chicken in something beforehand (using ingredients already in the recipe would be most congruent)

Cover the pan during ~80% of the cooking time, then remove the covering for final ~20%.

Chris Forbis
09-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the tips. It will be a few weeks before I'm able to try it out....