PDA

View Full Version : First sniffly nose in months...

Patrick Donnelly
09-16-2007, 11:33 AM
It's either allergies, or a cold, but I can't tell which.

I normally have allergies in both the Spring and Fall, but I was fine last Spring.
There's currently a cold going around from family member to family member in my house, but I would think my immune system would be able to handle it.

I'm not feeling tired, nauseated, or having headaches...
My nose is just runny, and I'm sneezing slightly more frequently.

Any suggestions on what to do about it?

Garrett Smith
09-16-2007, 03:03 PM
Check your diet lately for excessive (or sneaky) grains, dairy, legumes, or sugar.

Or if you can't wait, you could try an OTC antihistamine--if it helps reduce the runny nose, it's likely allergies (which should still be addressed first with diet).

Patrick Donnelly
09-16-2007, 04:25 PM
My only non-Paleo foods are some peanut butter (natural, no sugar or salt) and cottage cheese (3-4 times a week). I've been eating this way for several weeks.

Antihistamines do have a habit of knocking me out for long naps, but I'll start using them if this doesn't clear up in the next 2-3 days.

Garrett Smith
09-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I only meant to use the antihistamine as a test, not for treatment.

There are much better ways of treating. I recently tried a combination homeopathic with a patient (I got a free sample, she had allergies, so we tried it together) and got very good results. Herbs can also help.

Several weeks of peanut butter and cottage cheese could be just enough to create some hypersensitivity. The only way to know is to eliminate them, wait several weeks, then reintroduce them one at a time and watch for symptoms.

Patrick Donnelly
09-17-2007, 08:25 PM
Are you serious? That little could have negative effects? But I love my cottage cheese...
I made my own almond butter once, kicked ass, but way too expensive...

Mike ODonnell
09-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Peanuts = not a nut, possible allergen, not too clean.....almonds a better choice.

I actually feel like crap if I eat too much peanut butter.

Daniel Myers
09-17-2007, 09:24 PM
Seriously, it's unlikely that a small amount of cottage cheese is causing some crazy immune system reaction. You probably just picked up something that's going around. It happens. If you get sick again in the near future, then you may have something messing with your immune system. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Garrett Smith
09-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't call a sniffly nose a "crazy immune system reaction". It's a signpost that something is wrong--like an abnormal noise coming from an engine.

Dairy's association with phlegm and sinus issues is well-known. I had a patient just yesterday that said quitting dairy *got rid* of their asthma completely--thus a sniffly nose from a small bit of daily dairy is not a "wild" concept. Each person will react at a different amount, depending on their sensitivity. Eating the same food every day is the quickest way to get to this reaction, especially with highly allergenic foods like dairy.

You'll never know unless you try.

Scotty Hagnas
09-18-2007, 08:09 PM
Dr. G is right on. I've seen this time and again with clients. If you are sensitive to dairy, ANY will be enough to cause an adverse reaction.

Also, if you eat cottage cheese 3-4 times a week, then it is a routine part of your diet. I sympathise, though. I used to love my cottage cheese, and it is one of the few foods that I've eliminated that I still get a craving for...

Mike ODonnell
09-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Irony.....had a late night and on the road, made bad choices for dinner and breakfast the other day...mostly carbs...had a runny nose for the better part of yesterday. Food is a funny thing!

Patrick Donnelly
09-19-2007, 03:28 PM
Finished up my last jar of peanut butter today. I doubt my dad will be pleased with the $3.50 increase per jar when I start with almond butter! (Though, in my opinion, the taste alone makes it worth it.)

I still have a pint of cottage cheese sitting in the fridge... Then that one's gone too. Aw.

Also, should I be worried that the cottage cheese is my main source of calcium? It's about 30% of the FDA RDA for each 1/2 cup... I know that broccoli and such are also good for calcium, but I don't get many veggies, mostly fruits (convenience, time, and just plain volume restraints).

-Ross Hunt
09-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Patrick-- You might be able to find an almond butter that's cheaper than that. Look for the stuff in plastic; Whole Foods really marks theirs up a lot.

Also, with regard to the original question, consider that training is a factor. There is no simple distinction to be drawn overreaching and under-recovering, and sometimes putting the pedal to metal too hard too often can temporarily compromise the immune system. When I suddenly get a fever, I take a step back and consider whether I'm handling whatever I'm doing in the gym.

Jay Cohen
09-20-2007, 02:18 AM
Finished up my last jar of peanut butter today. I doubt my dad will be pleased with the $3.50 increase per jar when I start with almond butter! (Though, in my opinion, the taste alone makes it worth it.)

Trader Joe's sells an 16oz jar for $5.99, but I'm going to try and make my next batch. Have food processor, a Champion Juicer(which I do not juice anymore with) and some easy to find recipes. Also plan to try Walnut Butter. Might have to add just a little olive oil, but this should work just fine.
Will update you if this works. BTW, I can get Walnuts / Almonds pretty cheap at Sam's Club.

Patrick Donnelly
09-20-2007, 01:48 PM
It's $6 at Trader Joe's? Oh, I thought it was $5.20... Heheheh. Oh well.