PDA

View Full Version : Snatch grip DL

daniel doiron
09-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Currious to get your comment on ...
Do you use an alternated grip on the Snatch grip DL once the pronated grip fails ?

Today, I was going for very low reps and even my hook grip was going at the wide snatch position. I tried the alternated grip. OK, but just wanted to see who else thinks what of the choice of grip.

Thanks,

Jordan Glasser
09-17-2007, 09:24 AM
Currious to get your comment on ...
Do you use an alternated grip on the Snatch grip DL once the pronated grip fails ?

Today, I was going for very low reps and even my hook grip was going at the wide snatch position. I tried the alternated grip. OK, but just wanted to see who else thinks what of the choice of grip.

Thanks,

I'll let the experts add to this, but I would use straps if I were doing heavy assisted exercises for the snatch or the clean & jerk. If you are doing wide grip DL's for a reason other then to improve on your first pull of olympic lifting, then you can argue differently.

John Alston
09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
I'll tend to agree with the straps notion. Any repetition work with snatch grip I find to be really tough on the hands - both as a grip test and as a rip the skin test.

Garrett Smith
09-17-2007, 10:53 AM
A mixed snatch-width grip sounds like a recipe for upper body problems...

Greg Everett
09-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Use straps.

daniel doiron
09-17-2007, 11:43 AM
Perfect !
Straps it is !

The reason I posted this is because I thought the same way as Garrett...upper body / scapular girddle problem.

Thanks guys !

Mike ODonnell
09-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Use chaulk before straps.....if you haven't already done so. Also add in some grip work...carry a 25lb plate pinched with your fingers....do heavy BB 1/4 pulls...etc. Work the weak areas too.

Don Stevenson
09-17-2007, 07:16 PM
+1 for straps

the wide grip required for snatch, snatch pulls and snatch DL makes it harder to grip the bar and there are other exercises that you can use to develop grip for deadlifts.